looking for a old strain of redbones

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

looking for a old strain of redbones

Postby lionhunter78 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:03 am

Looking for for someone who might have or no someone that has some of the old jungle Jim bloodline, my dad has giving up looking and is 69 years old and ready to quit I would like to help him maybe locate it and possibly find a pup or young dog with some of that old blood
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: looking for a old strain of redbones

Postby lionhunter78 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I would be interested to know if there is any of Vern Poole's or Francis bakers strain of Red dogs around still
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:31 pm

You might find this thread of interest.
I think U.R.E might be a good resource for you if you can get hold of him.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4797&p=35554&hilit=Utah+redbone#p35554
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 pm

The problem with Poole and Baker and their buddies is that they believed in hunting spayed females. I think Poole outlived Baker, and I know Vern's last three dogs were spayed females. Those guys definitely were not thinking about leaving their line for us to enjoy (or change).

I always thought it was such a huge loss.
But I try to understand their viewpoint also. I think I do, at least to my satisfaction, but don't want to voice my perspective on it, as I could be totally wrong.
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LarryBeggs » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 am

lionhunter78 I have asked the same question about those red dogs Vern and Francis had. David is right URE would be the best person to talk to. My dad had some dogs that went back to them in the late 70s and 80s. They are the standard that I try to get my dogs to live up to. About 10 years after all dad's were gone. I think it was the late 80s eraly 90s we had a logger pick some of our dogs up and take them to a hound guy in PeeDee. When we got there he had a stringer of cats he had caght with some red dogs from Vern and Francis. I don't remember his name. Maybe David would know as that was his neck of the woods.
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lionhunter78 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:11 am

I really appreciate the info it's sometimes hard to rekindle the dogs of yesterday but I've heard enough about them red dogs from my dad I can't help but trying, I heard countless stories from my dad and his old buddies about his old ginger and gumshoe dog, I wish alive back then to see them dogs in action. Thanks again
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:38 am

I know there were some great dogs back then. But I really feel that for bobcat, the overall caliber of dogs available today is much higher. It is so much easier today to get a pup that is going to make a bobcat dog than it was back then. Try to get ahold of URE. You can be the Francis Baker of today. Those dogs were beautiful and red, but they were not redbones. They did not advertise what all was in them, but it is not hard to breed about anything to red dogs and get red dogs. If you want some modern cat dog blood that is about as beautiful and red as I have ever seen take a female down to Dewey and breed to his red dog. He is not a redbone, but I think he would win about any redbone bench show you put him in.

The only fur taker I knew who had lived in Pee Dee was Tommy Tharp. He was the county trapper and had hounds. But if he had a string of bobcat hides, he trapped them. He said my dogs were the best he had seen, and mine were sorry on bobcat.

The time line doesn't fit for Tommy to be in Pee Dee though. I don't know when he died, but he was living in Dallas last I knew. He was a kind hearted good man. I miss him.
lionhunter78
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lionhunter78 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm not really wanting to breed to any red dog's dogs but I would like to find a young one that has any of the Red dog strains from hunters of the past, I pretty satisfied with my breed of dogs cats and bear but would like to see my old man smile and hear a red dog in the pack. Red dogs aren't very common in nw Oregon "at least close to me" but I'm kind of loner when It comes to hunting

Return to “Redbone Coonhounds”