will not tree

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
irishhunter13
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

will not tree

Postby irishhunter13 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 pm

a friend and i have three 10 month old walker females that are 3/4 nance and 1/4 white cloud they trail real good and love to fight coons on the ground in the black berries in the water they are fearless but loose interest when they tree they just run past the tree and look for another one just cant get them to tree any help would be great thank you
DC DOGGIN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: will not tree

Postby DC DOGGIN » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 pm

They are young, not all dogs click at that age. You need to run a few in the daytime and knock a couple out to them (in coon season of course) and maybe hang one in a tree kinda low so they can see it to get them to look up. The important part is locating the dogs have to locate before they can tree. Alot of dogs will tree good, not alot locate good. Locating to me is very important especially if you plan to you run fox and cat. Anyways they should click if you can get em some experience in the daytime knock a few out and let them run them again and again. THey will tree if they got it. You can tree just as many coon in the daytime as night if you know what you are doing and where to look or cast the dogs. Good luck. DC
DRY CREEK KENNELS!!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Try hunting just one at a time you get three young dogs together and they usually dont want to focus they are to worried what the other one is doing and a dog needs to be focused to learn to locate and tree.. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
irishhunter13
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby irishhunter13 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:12 pm

thanks for the info i will try to hunt in the day time and will try them by them selves
Last edited by irishhunter13 on Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
StrawberryMt
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby StrawberryMt » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:35 pm

Some good advice here,but I disagree strongly on one bit.I make my living hunting and tuning up coondogs.Please don't jump anything out to a young dog to run again.This usually causes the same problem you are trying to fix.You have two bloodlines there that are known track dogs so you need to make treeing fun and also make it that once they locate you are not gonna be happy if they leave.Daytime hunting will make it alot easier for you to see what they are doing and be able to get them caught up and put back on the tree they left.Pet them up for showing interest on the tree and scold them for being off.Shooting some out and hanging it back up can be a good tool as can having an old dog with them.Tie them up and shoot the coon out to the old dog and let them watch the old dog get the reward while they get none.
Home of the Strawberry Mt line of Treeing walkers

Your either making dust or your eating it
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36 pm

same problem one pup was not interested in huntin even at a year period other same as you described i dont know but its weird im tryin a few things like the guys said to get her to hold tree and open but shes got another 6 or 7 months till shes 2 to staighten out or 50 trees if not im out a lot of time and money :?: well see li freediver
BARTAMENKO
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BARTAMENKO » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 am

some very good advice daytime hunting the only thing that i would add is if you have a tri tronic use it, if they leave the tree and if there use to the collar already use your tone botton dogs are way smarter then most people give them credit for,an older dog that stays treed is great, i won't knock them out and let them run again either could teach them young dogs to pull off a tree, and a very important thing to do is tie them at the tree and let one dog tree off the chain make it fun for them, also to many young dogs at once. just mop
nait hadya
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby nait hadya » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:57 am

just there way of telling you to knock that critter out of the tree so they can chase it again. :D

Return to “Treeing Walker Coonhounds”