Re: cold nose coyote hound

Postby Nolte » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:25 pm

tedsmith
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby tedsmith » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:51 pm

I dont think you can make one cold trail. They either have it or they dont, but as far as making a coyote hound, here is the way I do it, get a well bred pup breed does not matter imo feed him a good quality dog food with plenty of fresh raw meat, worm once a month, after you have spent about a thousand dollars on this year old pup, take him out and try to make a cat dog out of him. Probably not the desired result for me at least, but I sure dont seem to have any trouble running a yote.
Ted Smith
waylon
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby waylon » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Nolte I guess we agree on 95% of it, damn that pretty good for 2 houndsmen :lol: :lol:
no sir all my coyote hunting buddies live within 30 miles of me and there are tons of them, sadly most are 55 and above some way above. But they have some good honest "outside" killing dogs. Man we dont get alot of snow here so if you dog cant trail and pick up aloss, or let me say it this way if he makes many losses and doesnt pick it them up a few times he will usally find his permenant resting place some where near his last loss. your right alot of guy's will chase alot but catch little, but lots of coon hounds look up at empty tree's you know as well as i that some guys will live with these things,but i wont. it cost a hell of alot to feed dogs today and the good'uns dont eat any more. If your ever down this way i'll show you some that sure nuff can catch and kill a yote, you might get a hunters horn magazine there will be some one near you who has good fox hounds and from my dealing there way cheaper than a cood dog usaully anyway
ROMANS 3:24
LET YOUR HOUNDS DO THE BRAGGING
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1280 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 am

I have blueticks that can run cats, coyotes, and bear. I know they can't run as long as running dog for sure. I won't catch as many coyotes with them as I would running dogs, but its posible. We usaully shoot the yotes. I have a question. Is speed really the answer to catching game? I have heard running dogs don't have much grit. So if I'm running a big bear thats a little bit mean that is just walking my hounds will usaully push it and tree it. Will running dogs push a mean bear like that? My hounds aren't nearly as fast as running dogs but I wouldn't call them slow either. and can running dogs run both bear and yotes and an ocasional cat?
Caincando1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Caincando1 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

thelineman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby thelineman » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:04 pm

cain, can you tell me the name of those two coyote web sites? thanks in advance.
Caincando1
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Caincando1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 pm

cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cat and bear » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 am

I think the difference is area, and what you want to hunt. Like nolte says, in wi, first run bear, then cats or coyote. Bear is the game here, especially northern. With that being said, I have owned walker, running walker cross. They are fast and tough, and didn't cold trail to bad. In numbers, I doubt noses of treeing walkers. One thing the running dogs cross, you can run three or four days, and not think about it. Tree dogs dont have that, the third, they are junk and need three days rest. running dogs dont have the nose or grit or tree power of tree walkers in my opinion, but they add endurance, speed, and feet. Hunting bear is like me being the football coach, and guiding and putting together a team. tree dogs, and a few running dogs, are hard to beat, as a pack. On any game. LOL
whiplash45

Postby whiplash45 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:43 am

I have been using Plott/ Running Walker crosses and straight Runnng Walkers on bear for the last 10 yrs or so, and have had great luck with them. I feel they run and move a track far better than a tree hound, and will bay a bear as long as it takes for you to get there. They do lack on the tree sometimes, but get them on enough bear and most will tree well. Getting out-run by little bears has become a thing of the past, I would never go back to a straight tree hound again.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:53 pm

Whiplash,

Have you had a difficult time finding running dog stuff that has a real good nose? I'm not talking about being able to take an average training season track. I'm looking for one that will pick and grind out a tough, old kill season track with frost and dry conditions. Now granted you can't find a bunch of tree dogs that can do it either. But none of the running dog stuff I've seen has had an above average nose and only a few have been gritty. Then again, I am very limited to the amount of running dogs I've seen. Just curious.

I totally agree on the running dog speed and stamina. They can run hard, day after day.
hamilton10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby hamilton10 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:44 pm

As many coyotes as there is around who the hell would want a cold nose dog to hunt them with? There has never been a coonhound bred dog that could run a track as fast or as long as a Running Walker or July wolf hound. Most of them will tree if started with treehounds. There are some damn good running walker cat hounds in south texas. A lot of them get sent to south america to hunt jaguar.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:27 pm

nolte ive personally seen days your talking about where the running dogs couldnt keep a coyote going and the treehounds make it look easy .not just a few days either .its the difference between hunting and not . sometimes a fresh track is hard to run with minimal scent conditions this is what nolte is talking about . these are personal experiences here in maine ive encountered . the running dog guys are always complaining about scent conditions the treedog guys only complain about bad crusty snow which also stops the running dog guys . depends where you hunt and what you need in a hound .certainly cant understand why the running dog guys around here wont add some treehound blood to there stock to improve the nose . i think its pride more than anything. jmop
dairyfarmer
Facebook ID: 0

Postby dairyfarmer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:02 pm

I've run strait running dogs ,crossed up tree and running dogs. I've had and seen tree dogs that can't smell as well as running dogs. Its up the guy who breeds the dogs to cull the dogs that can't run the game they want. Some dogs learn how to cold trail in snow by following the tracks, I have one that learned this way went along as a pup was easy to handle so he got out alot. We hunt mainly coyotes so the running get fast and crazy as well as long and hard. Whiplash knows what I mean he runs pretty much the same way. Dan
my dogs never run trash when I'm watching
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 pm

dairyfarmer you are 100% correct . to many people just breed to get pups instead of trying to better the line .
Rick Brocious
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:56 pm

what line of running dog excells on cold trailing and not just scours the woods till they can find a track they can run ? id like to see it . stuff like running two day old bobcat tracks that are snowed in till they get him jumped . ive seen it in the tree hound breeds but never in the running dogs . i will turn my friends that run the running dogs onto them . it would help them on those days where scenting is minimal.

Return to “Running Dogs”