Pics, Vids, Stories, anything??

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Pics, Vids, Stories, anything??

Postby perk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:41 pm

This forum seems stagnate for a while, let's see how many people in here are running fox hounds (running dogs for you fellas out west) full bred or crosses, what you run them on, maybe a picture, link to a video, reminiscing story.... anything that involves using running dogs? Surely we got some coyote, Fox, or cat hunters willing to share... maybe even some deer hunters, or bear hunters. Hope these few pics of some of my hounds attached. I run mostly walker fox hounds, raise and train my own, hunt in Virginia. I run mostly fox, prefer grey fox over red fox but run both, occasionally a bobcat when I can find one in my area. Got some video of chases, big pack of dogs, on my phone I'm willing to share but not gonna post on youtube, PM me an email address and I can send it.. love to see anything y'all got to share. Please no pics with torn up game or anything, to many people monitor these sites. Happy hunting!
Perk
Attachments
P_20160501_135802.jpg
P_20160501_140515.jpg
P_20160501_140413.jpg
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Pics, Vids, Stories, anything??

Postby perk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Few more pics
Attachments
P_20160201_164319.jpg
P_20160501_140432.jpg
P_20160501_140346.jpg
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:49 pm

A few more
Attachments
P_20160501_135702.jpg
P_20160501_135730.jpg
P_20160501_135558.jpg
EGO is not your AMIGO
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:03 pm

It might be a lot to ask, I wouldn't know how to do it, but sure would love to have names and maybe even a little info on each dog; especially the old battle scarred veterans of the Perkins pack.

I know I am looking at some tremendous history there. Still trying to put it all together in my feeble mind.

Having a little history book on here to refer to sure would help.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:55 pm

David! We just covered this less than 2 weeks ago, getting older must be tough on the brain! I will however give a little background on the pics glad I only posted part of the pack.

Picture 1-SKINNER he is by Bones x Cadillac. Heavy grindstone breeding, sire was a good jump dog, ran the front more of a red Fox dog but could run a grey, dam was a good grey fox dog great mouth, locally bred
PIC 2. CARROLL (Brown gyp) Ned x June. Both sire and dam were off a dog called Goerge Jones, who was locally bred and hunted by friend, produced good red/grey Fox dogs who liked to catch, bay at holes, maybe even tree if he ran up one.
TWISTA (r/w gyp) Link x Molly. Link was by Mack and a hard treeing gyp polka dot. Mack threw nose, speed, mouth, and dogs who liked to catch game most bayed/dug at holes, some trees. Molly was from N.C. would only run grey or cat
PIC 3
SHIRLEY (dog closest to fence) Rascal x Fancy. Rascal was by Mack and Fancy was a Va bred dog who had some Georgia liquor stock in her I believe. Good hollering mouth.
ANNA (tri color 2nd closest) Red cloud x China. Father was Mr Finney clays stud dog , China was a line bred grindstone gyp I sent to them to breed. She is as solid a dog as in my pack, when she barks you can bet the house it's right, has a male dog mouth, good speed drives the track.
KELLY (white gyp) was given to by a friend, sire had a lot of hills breeding, not sure on dam, she was a good trail dog. This gyp is just a dog, contributes but not the type of gyp I'd breed to.
MONDAY (b and t) she is by a dog called Johnboy and not sure her dam, came from a buddy, John boy was a he'll of a grey Fox cat dog, wouldn't run a red, caused a lot of game to get caught, she is a good little running dog, not a lot of hunt
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:06 am

PIC 4. BONES. grindstone redfire x ?? He was line bred grindstone, can't remember the mothers name. Great jump dog, extra speed, loved to catch, smart! Sire of dog in pic 1 and in the next pic, and grandsire of dog in another pic. Could run a grey but man he shined in red fox.

PIC 5 CROOK Bones x. Lena. Fast, chop mouth, good jump dog. Sire is above, dam was link x Molly, littermate to twista's sire, good nose, good track, bayed and treed.

PIC6 ELI.. Onyx x Pretty girl. Good mouth, bays at hole, will tree, okay located dog in tree, good at hole, brother was excellent at both but was killed by car. Onyx was by Mack and a gyp that had some of the same breeding as George Jones, great tree dog great mouth. pretty girl was half mate to Bones, barked 120 times a minute on track high chop mouth with a squeel on pic ups, no one could deny she was there.
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:17 am

PIC 7 BRUMMY. Ned X Lisa. Young dog, good mouth runs hard, same sure as Carroll, dam is Mack x Tina (George Jones gyp)

PIC 8
BIG JOHN (red/white male)... Duke x Peachy. Young dog good mouth hard hustling. Duke is by johnboy, great nose, mouth, smaller built than the dogs I prefer, but nice dog, clean on the track (u can see him in back ground of Eli's picture) Peachy is a littermate to Skinner, by Bones x cadillac. Front end, loved to catch, could really move a grey or red, swung wide made a lot of pickups.
CHIEF (red male jumping) Choctaw x China. Young dog, clay bred in top grindstone on bottom, half mate to Anna, same dam, his sire is Anna's sire as well (redcloud)
PIC 9
JOE.... Ned x June . Littermate to Carroll. Can jump game, runs the front, turns good, locates holes, and located the 4 foxes we ran up trees this year. Likes to catch, is gritty, weakness is a common chop mouth and has been know to tree a lay up coon or two. Probably between him and Anna who is my best dog, but he produces more game
EGO is not your AMIGO
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:18 am

David yo u asked I tried to provide. I refuse to post any more pics of my dogs for fear of having to type another novel. You will have to settle for videos, stories and the occasional visit!
EGO is not your AMIGO
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:02 am

Dang Perk, you need to have a little mercy on old people. If you can't do that then just consider me brain damaged and developmentally delayed. Maybe then you could let up a little.

Thank you. I will try to have them memorized before our next hunt. I think I got Joe and Anna.

I just figured out why I never have more than three or four dogs: I can't remember any more names than that. just figured out why I usually hunt alone too.

It has been an enlightening evening.

But I don't think you should quit writing Perk. (Young kids are so lazy these days.)

More please. :)
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:38 am

I'll get some pics posted as soon as I figure it out. Running One July, 4 half July half walker. A 3/4 Running Walker quarter Treeing Walker. 1/4 Trigg 3/4 walker. 1/4 Running walker 3/4 Walker. And a Blue tick lol
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:20 am

I look forward to that Merlo. And I hope you will give some info on each one.

I don't remember any quotes from your first posts, but I remember you saying something about your tree bred dogs being sufficient. Now you are down to one fully tree bred dog out of nine bobcat dogs. I would really be curious to know the process of that change in mind, and change in line up...

...and change in number. You only have about eight to go to get to B's comfort zone. Lol. And my last hunt with Perk a couple weeks ago they were down on dogs because he and his dad only brought 19 dogs (I believe that is why they are starting ten pups this year, and making crosses that should produce at least 20 pups; to get caught up a little) and they only had one buddy join them this time. I think he was down to 12. 30+ dogs on a grey fox or cat is an amazing experience, and I love it. And I wish everyone in the world could experience it at least once. But I am wondering what running dogs do to people to make them want/need so many dogs?

A Freind told me he knew how to become a millionaire with hounds: start out a billionaire.

So does a person have to start out with a lot of money to have running dogs because you are going to end up with 17 dogs or more?

What happens there, and why?
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:09 am

2 dogs sound good, 4 dogs sound better, 16 sound better, the number of dogs exponentially increases the pleasure of the sound, as long as they pack together, not get strung out and separated. Have hunted many times with groups where we had too many dogs combined , 60-70, more so over powered the foxes than anything a lot of dogs cutting, swinging grabbing it ahead, and dogs pulling to the dogs who grab it ahead. Once in a while a bunch of us get together still, but I don't enjoy the races as much as the fellowship. More people to relive the hunt with. I prefer to hunt in the 15-20 dog range, with that including some young dogs with less than a year experience, but I also like to hunt by myself a lot, not because I'm afraid of others dogs messing race up or running off game, but I like to know all I can about my mongrels.
David when I got back in after my dad sold out, I had 2, that quickly became 4, bought a couple it was 6.... prob only had 8-9 for a couple years, then I set out to raise my own to catch foxes, and always have the pack working, since then #s stay ed between 16-22ish , between retiring, culling, dying, and raising. Couldn't afford to hunt like this without help from dad who we keep a combined pack, and feed a lot of bread we get for free
EGO is not your AMIGO
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:16 am

Attachments
IMG_0926.PNG
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:53 am

What kinda mouth does that one have?
EGO is not your AMIGO
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:58 pm

I will get some pics up in the future. Right now I just got a pic of a young gyp and 2 pups. Second pic is male pup and a young gyp. 1st pic is littermate female to the male pup.

Had to edit my post cuz I guess when you post multiple pics it posts them backwards or something. Not sure what I did right or wrong. Male pup is layin down.
Attachments
downsized_1007161616.jpg
downsized_1006161730.jpg
Last edited by Dan Edwards on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Running Dogs”