Kinda slow

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Kinda slow

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Nolte, you nailed the bought dog scenario, as well as the wealth of knowledge and experience all these guys bring. Any one who can't relate too Lawdawgs hog stories should reread his posts, cause a mouse in his or Perks kennel, saddle bag whatever prolly knows more on dogs than most of us.
So, Dawg, that female in the 1st pic is grizzy she got bearwrecked at 3.5 lost her leg, she is now 8.5,pic is her goodside.lol she could hold a 55lb male coyote. She wasn't stupid aggressive on bay, the injury was a sequence of events. Who knows how long she'd have lasted in south Texas.
So, back to the trash, my pups run loose usually around 5 months. Grizzy is also loose and has run a fox or coyote everyday since about one month after her surgery. The pups start going with her around3.5 months. So the last three litters and the Fin get around 6 weeks of running over deer tracks with out a nevnevermind. In those 40 days most pups will bring home 5 to 10 quills. I still break off porcupines in a cage. We have snow almost 5 months a year so you can see what they smell, and most young dogs started with her can be deer broke verbally on the leash. A firm tug and firm voice, and an atta boy when ya unhook them on what you want. Sounds to easy, but with a lot of them it is. The Finnish hound on the other hand should glow in the dark. He's 2.5 and although much improved not 100%. Right or wrong he is impressive, crazy speed with tight corners, minimum loses. Some of these pups will not be able to resist a deer sight chase most don't stick to it just &%^$$ up the show. A little reinforcement and good to go.
Check dogs, we were still on beep beep trackers and bear here was scarce. I had a litter coming on a year when I thought I should chase some. I had a knock out cat dog and couple coyote catchers. How's I ever gonna get a bear chase? Well, I bought back a 4 year old dog I sold at 1. He was 4 hours away, the guy called a couple times a year to tell me how good he was. I gave 1000 more than I sold him for. That weekend I walked to 4 trees with them yearlings never seen the 4 year old check, start dog till back to the rig. Education has never been cheap. I may buy a pup, but thats it.
Rambled enough for a while.
This is them three little duffers on the porch. Here they are this morning ,10 months last week. The two older dogs treed a coon and we were over 2 hours getting to the treed pups.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:58 pm

Bon Plott, I like the looks of the Finnish hound, how hard was it to get one of those?
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 pm

He has a lot of running dog characteristics, wouldn't stay treed at all 1st bearseason. Started to stay and sing a it his second. Probably 50lb maybe 24 25. Big hairy foot. No soreness on snow or rock. Tons of drive, sounds good too, smarter than I give him credit for, the deer thing. He puts his head down to get of the road but jumps wind. I like him alot. And may introduce him to Grizzies daughter if one of them finish out how I like.
As far as I know the only breeding pair in US as of a few years ago is in Vermont. He was trying to get another female but don't think it happened. Good chance there is more.So at least in my little corner their all littermates. I have his contact.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:52 pm

Sure is a good looking dog Bon Plott, last time I got a dog based on how it looked not what I knew about it, I got a pair of blue triggs from a well know breeder and neither one suited me, both was gone after 2 seasons... but that finnish hound sure is pretty
Perk
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO

Return to “Running Dogs”