Open Mouth

dogs first fox

Postby Pops » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:03 am

hemihound0713
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: dogs first fox

Postby hemihound0713 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:56 am

Good lookin fox. Is your dog a suluki or a borzori? Nice lookin dog for a running dog.
Melissa
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:08 am

Hey Pops, considering thats a grey, I would really like to here the details of that hunt. Man it oughta be a good story. Cant wait brother.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:47 pm

not such a cool story
I live on cherry point MCAS and the Croatan National forest is a huge swamp between here & Camp Lejuene. some of it has 200-500 acre patches of coastal savannah and food plots. we go out and work the edges of the heavy swamp growth in these open areas and try to catch deer, fox & anything else we run into. most game doesn't get more than 20-30yds from the treeline. so it's not really good running ground especially for a big dog like Sonic (linebred salukiXgrey 29 1/2 " & 70#). well we'd gotten out for an hour after work and had a the usual couple of missed runs on deer kicked out of their beds or coming early to browse. happy w/ his effort but disappointed in his run up i decided to call it a day since the sun is just down. w/ Sonic freecasting around me, i walked back to the truck parked at an intersection of national forest roads. i got to the truck and dropped the tailgate for him to load up. as i did i saw out the corner of my eye a small grey & black blur zip out about 10 yds in front of the truck. simultaneousy Sonic ROCKETS past. i get around the truck to see he's caught the large vixen around the hips about 10' from the other treeline. he takes a hard bite from her. in return he gives her a hard shake and throws her into the road. just as she regains her feet he hits her from behind and grabs her whole head. between shaking & gnawing he finally kills the fox. from where she left the treeline to where she was caught near the other treeline was about 40yds. Sonic only had to cover 50-55yds from where he started to where he caught her. just dumb luck, but i'm happy that he finally scored. he has now officially caught hogs, 1 mule deer, possum, coons, feral cats, squirrels, rabbits & 1 grey fox. now i just want to get him caught on a whitetail, a red & a coyote. in the mean time we'll take all the grey's, feral cats, coons & hogs we can get.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:45 pm

Sounds good Pops. Alot of luck for sure but still a good deal. I aint tryin to be a know it all but Sonic may need a helping hand when he catches Mr. Yote. Dont know a dang thing about Whitetail but I bet he can take the right one but a big buck is gonna test him for sure. I have a good friend who knows quite a bit about the deer thing but I dont.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:04 pm

One more thing. How linebred is your dog? I am interested in sight dogs that have been linebred.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:26 am

I will have him some back up before i turn him out on a healthy coyote. he's game (in this context) but i don't know if he could handle one solo yet. ideally i want a pittyXgrey or i'd like one of those airdale blooded lurchers like Doc has.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:16 pm

Doc only has one bullcross but does not have any airedale type lurchers. I sent a male pup out there that is 1/2 grey 1/4 pit 1/4 airedale but it was not for him but another kid out there. I had two others but one got killed and the other I gave back to the guy who bred them cause one of his buddies wanted her and I got too many dogs. She was as nice a pup as one ever sees though and thats for sure. I liked her alot and did not want to part with her but I dont need so many dogs. I am goin to run some JulyxStag crosses again soon.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:53 am

Hey Dan
when you have some time, i'd really like to hear the merits & deficiencies of the different fox hounds. i am specifically interested in the july, goodman, & trigg strains and how they compare to the running walkers.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:48 am

I dont know much about them all actually. I wouldnt go out tryin to get any specific line either. I would say you would be in better shape tryin to get your hands on some good Walkers cause there are more of them and overall they are the best by far. I personally like the line of Julys I am hunting but thats cause I got lucky and fell in with some good guys otherwise I wouldnt have what I have. Overall the Julys are supposed to be the fastest and the Walkers are supposed to have the most hours but truthfully there are some extremely fast Walker dogs with a bunch of hours also. My biggest problem with most of them Walkers is that they dont fight hard enough but then again nothin fights hard enough for me. I hear all those folks talk about how rough all these different breeds are and how they can just flat smoke a coyote. Well, aint nobody been able to show me that yet but one guy and he has Running Walkers and they are rough. They are Croghan bred but that dont really mean shit to me cause I seen alot of Croghans that wouldnt fight a house cat. HAHAHA!
Major
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Major » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:26 am

that dog posted above has actually caught and killed a mule deer? WOW thats crazy?! is their a story that goes along with it??

Return to “Running Dogs”