Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Foxhounds

Postby Lynxhunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:32 am

Hey Kirpa!
- Is your pup out of the same litter as the pup in kennel Halabala?
I've heard that four pups out of their last walker/trigg litter is comming to Norway. Dont know the people who got them, but I'll try to keep up on their progress anyways. Always fun to se new breeds around.

Hans
"I'd like to tell you 'bout a known bunch of foxhounds I've got. Ol' Rain, ol' Tiger n' ol' Rover. When we started out 'cross them Georgia hills huntin' them foxes, it sounded somethin' like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syc3jKGffHQ"

Shorty Medlocke
kirpa
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby kirpa » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:28 am

No i think halabala pup is from states and mine is from Finland.
You wouldn't hunt fox with plott and i wouldn't invest my money to so called american foxhound. There must be some good ones here because guys keep breeding them but i havent see one yet. I think most problems with that breed is importing every damn mut they can ship and then breed them together here. Standards are getting higher, but slowly. I have heard that 70% is pure s.hit and 30% are top dogs, but medium dogs are missing. Hope you guys have better breeding material to start with and at least you can ask help from Finland where hunting style is more like the same than it's from states.
Jarkko is going to skin me when he reads this but hope he understands my point. I haven't see any good foxhound yet put i have seen one good plott :D .
Here is a video from second good plott that i have seen. This one is mine and you can see from hes eyes that he is going to eat every animal smaller than moose when he is hunting. :lol: This video is taken when he is 7 weeks old.

Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lynxhunter » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 am

Ok, I just went through the "Introduction" thread and there was plott in he's kennel.

Your pup is great looking Kirpa! He already knows its all about catching :D :D

Tell you what.
- If you ever want to feed a big one and I get the right female over here I'll give you a pup sometime in the future. Went to Sweden last weekend hunting brown bear. Had two races and let me tell you, those Majestics can move!!!! Also Pac's and Dina, my Jämt, cought a red fox. - It was an insanely fun hunting trip.

Hans
"I'd like to tell you 'bout a known bunch of foxhounds I've got. Ol' Rain, ol' Tiger n' ol' Rover. When we started out 'cross them Georgia hills huntin' them foxes, it sounded somethin' like this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syc3jKGffHQ"

Shorty Medlocke
Majestic Tree Hound
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Majestic Tree Hound » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey Hans !! Don't be holding out on a Good Hunt Story !!

Shoot me a Email for Pac's Book !! Lol

Photos Photos Photos !! "The Adventure's Of Pac's-A-Lotto Lip"
Steve Morrow "Saltlick Majestic's"
"Never Have Hounds Or Kids And You Won't Get Your Heart Broke"!!

Salt Lick Kennels

Bawling Tree Kennels

Sunrise Outfitting

Canine Training Academy - Co.

The Mara Conservancy - Kenya Africa
kirpa
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby kirpa » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:22 am

Don't start to tease me Hans. Those big hound like hounds are my week spot.
Well i have to start sweet talk to my girlfriend way before i can think of getting one. This plott was one year project including bigger house :D . If someone says hound hunting is a cheap hobby i would say bullsh...
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Lynxhunter , you really feel that the majestics move a track at good speed ?
CB Kennels " Color Blind Kennels " haha
Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lynxhunter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

To my eye, my Majestic is on the faster side. When he lifts his nose, falls a bit down wind and starts drifting the track, he's hard to keep up with....(I think thats the bloodhound genes kicking in)
Pacs and my female spitzdog bayed a medium sized brown bear 400 yards from the jump earlier this fall. That means speed around here, because that bear could hear Pacs coming from miles away, he he
- But then again, its hard for me to tell if thats fast to you guys over there in the U.S., because the only treeing hounds I've seen are some Plotts from two different bloodlines, so I havent got much to compare with....("not got much" mening quantity, not quality)

Hans

Shorty Medlocke
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:19 pm

I ask becouse I run those slow , I mean VERY VERY slow Ursus dogs and have hunted head to head and the majestics were no were near able to keep up driving the track . but i have only seen 8 in the woods . I do not know there breeding but know they came from Pennsylvania or Virginia ( east coast) ?

My own observation about the ursus line is yes some are average to slow most are just average in track speed but there are some speedy on track just like other lines. I believe that walkers are faster on track on average than the ursus or most other lines in the plott breed. yes there are some very fast plotts but most are just average .
Thanks for your response.
Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lynxhunter » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:55 pm

Hey Mr., if you're on here to "lure" me into saying something negative agains them Ursus Plotts, you wont sukseed!
On the other hand, I cant understand that your Majestics are worth feeding, if they are slower than your Plotts. - Do you know how much bloodhound there are in them?

I guess each man got his own taste. Once we come across a good dawg from a breed, that breed is the best in the world...., as for me right now: A hound would have to be pretty damn impressive, almost be able to do magic, to make me try something else than a Majestic for big game predators.

Hans

Shorty Medlocke
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 am

Not trying to start anything you gave your honest evaluation of what you have seen thats all anyone can ask i I did the same and asked an honest question .
Hipshooter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

A man is not very smart that can,t find his wife 2 jobs.
And any wife should be able to support her man and a pack of hounds.

Never shock your dog off bad game
untill he knows what good game is.

Postby Hipshooter » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:04 pm

U said u only run one hound at a time.
I would say that is your main problem.
As a yote hunter fo 40 years i know u will have far better luck with running several hounds togeather as it is a team effort, when one dog losses track another one will have it & the race go a lot faster. U don,t have to have running dogs all togeather,, small running type plotts can do the job also.
Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lynxhunter » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:23 am

I think you are totally right Hipshooter. I have started running two hounds, with two different "tasks/jobs or wathever one could call it" in the race. For now, it looks like this combination can be very favourable on the game I'm running.

There are many reasons or ideas making the fundation thoughts on how to run hounds. - I'm am kind of breaking new ground here because "pack hunting" crosses with our hunting ethics here. For centuries, there have olny been one hound on the game at the time.
- While hunting brown bear in Sweden there is a limit of two dogs/hounds on the game at one time and I dont think I need more to honest.
- I've also red somewhere on this forum that "the number of hounds used to catch the desired game, is negatively eqvivalent of the quality of the hounds". I think that was very well sayed, meaning: I think anybody can go out in the woods dumping 25 hounds and expect to catch something sooner or later, but my question is: Where is the fun in that?

I'm greener than a Newbie, when it comes to hounds and this site have been a savier for me many a time. This is a goldmine of tips, tricks and entertainment about hounds and hounding.
I therefore hereby withdraw all my above posted opinions about Plotts in general and one bloodline in special. My thoughts were based on far to litle experience with the breed in question, so: I WAS WRONG. Sorry for the comotion this has caused.

Hans

Shorty Medlocke
kirpa
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby kirpa » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:00 pm

Well my young fox plott is showing good signs. At the age of 4 and a half moths old he put his nose down att the first time and it was on foxtrack. Now he is almost seven months and he is tracking several hours old fox tracks. We have had several fox races and those races have lasted about half an hour each. There are some magical timeline there because it have been half an hour by the minute. Well he is so immature that im pleased on those races. Hope his balls grow before next winter and we can here some several hour fox races.
His voice is also unique around here. He has great big bawl on track and everyone who hears that cant be smiling. We have used to chop mouth hounds in this part of the world so this is something new.
This dog is half Ursus and maybe it's the other half but he is not slow. Even today hes feet were faster than his nose several times :D .
Lynxhunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lynxhunter » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:05 pm

Great Kirpa!!
- As a matter of fact, I thought about sending you a PM a while ago, since I came to think of your Plott and that he might have matured enought to start something in the woods, but Holyday preparations came in the way....
So thanks for the update. - Its a great time when one see the hours spent in the woods, with a young up and coming one, starts to pay off. I'm kind in the same spot with my mixbred here and it makes my heart soft from time to time....

BTW: I'll second that "bawl effect" on people. Its somthing else than the japping from the hounds people are used to around here to. I almost always get SMS messages from people asking me if I'm out running my hound, when Pacs opens. They are sometimes 2-2,5 US miles from Pacs when they hear him :lol: :lol:

Hans

Shorty Medlocke
kirpa
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby kirpa » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:34 pm

Well i have been waiting for change to send some pictures of dead fox, but with our luck it can take a while. I think i have pissed some hunting god because my luck have turned for the worst. I'm on christmas holiday this week and weather is perfect. Fresh snow for every morning and fox tracks everywhere, but when the hunting luck is missing all i can do is walk after my pup and watch Garmin once in while.
Shooters are always on wrong spot or fox does those kind of tricks that even Houdini would be amazed. I know that when it clicks then i can just enjoy the ride but before that it can be so furstrating.
Hope i can post some pics tomorrow...

Return to “Running Dogs”