Questions regarding American Leopard Curs

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
DBM

Questions regarding American Leopard Curs

Postby DBM » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm giving it some serious thought about starting up a business that deals with nuisance and habituated bears using dogs. I used to do some predator management for a big aquaculture company on the coast, and my buddy has some pretty good hounds, but they're not exactly easy to pull off the tree, let alone call off the chase.

I was thinking leopard curs would be a good fit. I've not seen any around here, so I've never seen one work. I need intelligent dogs with grit, and that want to work for the owner. (not interested in Karelians, as I want to hunt cats in the winter).

Any feedback, good, or bad is appreciated.

Thanks
Doug
cat hntr
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Questions regarding American Leopard Curs

Postby cat hntr » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:23 am

In my opinion a good leopard cur would be a pretty good choice most of them respond pretty good to obediece training. I rarely take a leash with me to the woods unless I have a young pup on his first few trees.I mostly lion hunt but I can call my dogs of a hot lion track and my dogs catch quite a few lions.Hounds can be trained the same way but my hounds and others I have been around require more work.jmo
DBM

Postby DBM » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks cat hntr
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Where are you located?
Fred Moyer
DBM

Postby DBM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:02 pm

An hr outside of vancouver BC
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Nick Riley has some really nice Leopards he uses on cats, he's in MT. There is a falla named Vic Felix that has some nice Leopards in Spokane, I hunt with him quite a bit. I have three but they are all males. Mike Toth, Lepcur is a great guy to chat with about Leopards and has some for sale once in a while and probably one of if not the best gentleman to chat with is Grey Fox, aka Mr. Randy Oller. Mr. Oller have pups for sale once in a while. Both Mr. Toth and Mr. Oller are in CA.

P.S. Toth and Oller's dogs would be a perfect fit for what your describing.
Fred Moyer
lepcur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lepcur » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:08 pm

I think they would work well for that situation but most are open mouthed dogs and if you're hunting in devoloped areas you may want something that doesn't make as much noise, just a thought.
Mike
I hunt the Leopard spotted bear dogs
http://bearmtnguideservice.webs.com/
bridges331
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bridges331 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:28 am

If you have some specific questions on them, I feel I can answer them very well. I have a couple that are truely great dogs.... feel free to call if you want. 702-575-4045
TRACK-UM
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:48 am

Doug, where are you at and what type of problem bears are you talking. If you are just chasing the bears off private property I would find something else. During the summer months once that bear leaves private land you are hunting out of season so it would be a must to have a short chase type dog, like a border collie cross. and stay away from the hounds and curs. I hunt with both types and once the bear is jumped it is almost impossible to call the dogs off the bear for at least 2 or three miles.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds

Return to “Cur Dogs”