which cur breed

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
GETTERDONE
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

which cur breed

Postby GETTERDONE » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 am

I been running walkers and ticks for years and once had a mountian cur/black&tan it was the best bear hound I ever had.He died at a tree putting one up. Will they run a dry ground liontrack? if so whats the best breed im into smaller framed dogs.Figured I would try something different.
IF YOU AINT FIRST YOUR LAST!
Bdog
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: which cur breed

Postby Bdog » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:53 am

I have been running Kemmers down here in southern NV for about 11 years and mine can take a night old dry track if not to hot or windy. I also run hounds and not much difference in the tracks they can take but differences in dogs and how they drive a track. They hunt a little different then most hounds but work great with a mixed pack. The curs usually shine in the rocks, hard to get spots and when game is bayed. With that being said no different then with hounds it depends on the individuals and how they are raised. Stryker and Allen bred Kemmers are the best you will find out west. If you are from Northern NV then look up the Fryes with the stryker bred dogs and get pup and give them a try. Good luck

Bruce
cat hntr
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cat hntr » Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:05 pm

I have run kemmers for several years but recently switched to leopards I liked the kemmers pretty good till I hunted with leopards
swk
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby swk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

cat hntr,

Which strains of mtn cur did you hunt and which strain of leopards are you hunting now ? I'd like to hear more about what you like about the leopards vs the mtn curs. I have one of each (the leopard is only 8 months though) and like them both but I like to hear others thoughts on how they see the two breeds compare to each other.
Thanks,
Steve
cat hntr
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cat hntr » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:37 am

my kemmer dogs were from cal allens breeding and some were out of some dogs from Ohio.I didnt have verry good luck with the ones I got from cal allen but I know some other people like what they got from there.The best kemmer we had was out of the dogs that were from ohio.The leopards I have now I got from nick riley.They have some jug breeding They are the best dogs I have ever had
nrspence
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby nrspence » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:10 pm

Get a dog with striker on both sides. Derril Fry has had some great dogs his Tigra dog has been a great producer.
TheBlackDog

Postby TheBlackDog » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:29 am

Return to “Cur Dogs”