Ideal Mountain Curs for Lion?

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
AK Jeff

Ideal Mountain Curs for Lion?

Postby AK Jeff » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:37 pm

I'm hoping that some of you who have hands on experience with mountain curs can help point me in the right direction. I'm looking to get one or two lion dogs to use back in my home state of Montana in the next few years. I originally started looking at hounds (Plotts in particular) but have started leaning toward mountain curs. The versatility and hunting style of the mountain cur sounds more suited to what I would enjoy hunting. Ideally I'm thinking that a closed-mouth, colder-nosed, mountain cur, on the larger end of their size range would work best. Grittiness doesn't seem overly important, as I really would just like a dog that will put game up a tree and not necessarily pull hair. I'm somewhat overwhelmed by the different lines of mountain curs, and what could best suit my desires. Would Striker, Kemmer, OMC, Stephens, or something else entirely fit more of the mold that I'm looking for? I understand there's variation within lines, and all dogs are different, but if any of you have recommendations I would love to hear them. Also if you know of any breeders and/or hunters that are working these kind of curs I'd love to get in touch with them.

Thanks,

AK Jeff
houndnhorse
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Ideal Mountain Curs for Lion?

Postby houndnhorse » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:30 pm

The Stryker breed is from Kemmer stock. That's the only curs that I have any knowledge of. Derril Fry owned Stryker and I believe Derril's brother in California has been breeding some. I'm sure someone on here knows more about them than I do. I just happen to be in the same town as Derril.
martindalehounds@yahoo.com
At least as good as I was yesterday
Idcurs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Idcurs » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:31 am

Derril has Striker blood in all of his dogs.He has two daughters out of Striker,that the closest as you can get.The striker line is the best for what you are wanting,they are cold nosed and cold trail well.They are not super gritty for the most part.I have striker blood in all my dogs,it puts the trail drive in the curs!!!As for getting a pup good luck,Derril does not breed very often and most pups are spoken for early.I have hunted with some good other cu lines but none come close to the Striker line.Bill Fry has some curs but they have a different blood line ,faster and gritty but not the cold trail drive like Striker.I also have some of his blood also.
Flip
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:36 am

I bought a little female from a guy named mike fry in red bluff ca she was a pretty cold nose Kemmer named bell. I sold her to a buddy of mine and he still has her. Not sure if shes related but does have papers .If those dogs don't work out I would try Stevens curs( rowdy bred) theres a guy named Stacy brewer or don Paige in Oregon that have some and there a pretty nice dog for what your wanting. I would subscribe to the Stevens breeder assoc. they will send u a hand book with a lot of dogs and people's names and numbers . Good luck!
grinner

Postby grinner » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:04 pm

I will second the stephens cur. i have two, both from don paige sires. theyre more open trailers than the mountain curs, but they are very nice little dogs.
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby pistol » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:20 pm

If your wanting a good cur from Montana I would contact nick Riley. I'm sure other guys on this sight can tell you the same. They will catch anything. A couple guys I hunt with have a dog from him. Don Paige recently just got out of dogs and is taking a break for awhile.
norcalkemmer
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby norcalkemmer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Mike fry lives in Arizona last time I talked to him. I would go with Frys bloodline of kemmers!
tradslam
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tradslam » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:50 am

Another Stephens fan, I've only had them a short time but they are really opening my eyes on catching cats.
AK Jeff

Postby AK Jeff » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:15 am

I really appreciate all the information. Keep it coming.

Thanks,

Jeff
UphillDoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby UphillDoc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 pm

Flip-Is Bell a brindle with white out of Lil Hopper? The pups Stuntman just posted are the right kind for lions.
Don Page is in Idaho.

Take care.
Flip
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Flip » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Up hill, yes she is Brendal with white. She's a gamie little dog and has a pretty cold nose for a cur dog. If u never seen her and heard hear in the woods u would think she was a hound that cold trails ( big mouth).had pulps out of her and so far there super gritty.
Idcurs
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Idcurs » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 am

Uphill owned Bell and sold her to Mike.What did you breed her to that she had gritty pups?Her dam was gritty and her uncle Saber was as gritty as they come!!!That big mouth came from Buck he had a very big bawl as did CJ.
Flip
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Flip » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:44 am

There are a few different dogs around here out of bell. Mike fry sold some pups out of her to a friend of mine but not sure what he bred her to some older male kemmer he had i think.There pretty natural gamie dogs.the guys who own her hog hunt and bred her to some sort of cur stalk they have had around here for years.i got another Kemmer from mike at the same time. He was a young dog that didn't know much but with a little hunting was making a real nice dog fast but got killed by a hog. Mike told me one of his friends had a littermate that was a real nice dog but not sure what the breeding was.his name was modock something on the papers

Return to “Cur Dogs”