Cur as a trap line dog

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Cur as a trap line dog

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Hey guys I just wanted to ask if any of you guys use cur dogs for trap line work the reason I am asking is that I am starting to get into trapping and a good dog can be a help the only one I have had was a black mouth cur and he was the best coon dog I ever had but he passed away before I got into trapping the only thing is he was a hot nose dog and I don't know how he would have been on tracking a drag from as far back as the early part of the night before so what would you all say could they do ok as a trappers dog also I am found out that there is different kinds of curs so would one besides a black mouth cur be better
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Cur as a trap line dog

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 am

If you don't have a subscription yet, I would suggest that you get ahold of some Full Cry magazines. What David said in the other thread is very true. You are right in the middle of cur dog country. Alot of people in your region use them for different game. Most of the better lines within the different cur strains would fit your needs very well.

I always liked Black Mouth Curs, but the lines I used to run would lean toward the more aggressive side of things. There are several different lines of Mountain Cur though that are an absolute dream to work with. Some may not have quite the nose power a good hound does, but I seriously doubt you will need as much as what you may be thinking. Curs make some very good all-around dogs that can meet a variety of needs.

Head over to the UKC site and check out the classified section. I bet you could find a litter of pups real close to where you live.

Tex
=2
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:50 am

Ok two questions what full cry UKC
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:04 am

Full Cry is a magazine geared toward tree dogs. They used to have alot of articles aimed at hounds and big game hunting, but these days the content is predominantly about Curs and Feists. There will be alot of articles that can answer all of your questions about good, all around dogs.
http://www.huntinghoundsmen.com/

The UKC forum is like this one, except they are geared toward dogs and hounds that are registered by the United kennel Club.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/index.php?s=

Here is the link to their Cur and Feist Classified section -
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/forumdisplay. ... forumid=31

Tex
=2
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:28 am

Oh ok I have found a few things that makes me think that the kemmers curs might be a good fit if anyone knows anything about them
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:33 am

One of the things that I have been trying to find is would they have the ability to track game to the den
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:14 am

Here is a thread of at Predator Masters that goes along with the content of this one. You may find some more insight.
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... 228&page=1

Tex
=2
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:43 am

Looking like if they can track a Badger to it den they should be able to handle the stuff around here
Andyva
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Andyva » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:43 pm

I had a black mouth cur that I used for a trapline dog. Found a broken swivel one morning and went back and got her, she tracked him up. Took her a while, she had to stop and mess with a squirrel first. I got her back on the track and she tracked him up and caught him. He was slowed down a little with the trap on his foot. To be honest, a good hound would have done a better job, but even some hounds won't take a cold track, depending on what they are.

Return to “Cur Dogs”