Do everything cur dog

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Do everything cur dog

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:00 pm

David, you have a way of scrambling an old country boys brain. I can’t figure out how I ever trained a dog.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:59 pm

macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:24 pm

OUCH, David.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:49 pm

Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Irish Jack » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:35 pm

ands
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ands » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm

collie and hound.JPG
Great answer David,one difference i've found with hounds and lurchers is hounds always want to hunt and the collie crosses sometimes know when hunting is a total wast of time- not lazy they just know. One habit that would drive a hound man wild.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Thanks Irish Jack.
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:07 pm

I haven't been on BGH a lot lately. I'll explain the UBD and Lep x July pups.

The UBD pups are from a Leopard Hound sire bred to a Lurcher female. The Lurcher is from a Border Collie bred to a Staghound female. Who knows precisely what they will turn out like. I'm hoping they will do everything I want, but they are only available to bobcat hunters. They are the first attempt at satisfying a few questions I have about what a really great bobcat dog should have in it's head and tool box. They spawned out of a question David asked in his book Bobcat Dog. He asked why no one has ever really made a dog specifically for hunting bobcats. Well, I thought yeah, why don't I do that. After all, someone has to jump first. :D

I have to say, I like them so far, but they haven't really been required to do anything very difficult yet. They're only about 5 months old. I have 9/10 and gave one to Ed Culwell. He also bought 2 of the Lep x July pups. He seems to like the UBD pup quite a lot, but it'll be a while before anyone can say they are more than a nice housedog yet.

The Lep x July pups are a cross of my Lep and Irish Jack's July/Running Walkers. They are some of the smartest game dogs I've seen in a long time. More importantly, Irish Jack is no slouch and knows dogs very well IMO. Pick your people and then pick your dogs. I believe I first heard that said by John Wick. It's sound advice.

Anyhow, I can't say I've liked a bunch of pups any more than I like all of these mutts I've got right now. I hope you find what your looking for but it's 1000 times more likely that you'll be more satisfied with two dogs that pick up eachother's weak spots and work together to get it all done.

I would say that a Leopard and a BC would probably do the trick. Maybe a cross of those two might do the trick if you can only have one dog. I added the Stag to that mix to put a turbo charger on the whole outfit. Funny thing is, you just would have a hard time looking at this litter and telling what they are out of if I didn't tell you ahead of time.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.

Return to “Cur Dogs”