looking for jerky brines

Feel free to Drop your favorite Recipe here.
kenny
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

looking for jerky brines

Postby kenny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 am

Just thought I would ask for any ones jerky brines I have a few of my own but would like to try something new.
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: looking for jerky brines

Postby LarryBeggs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:34 am

1/3 cup brown surgar, 1/4 cup non iodized salt,2 cups teriake sauce,1/2 teaspoon pepper,1/2 teaspoon garlic powder,1/2 teaspon onion powder,2 cups water mix together,can brine up to 3 lbs meat,sit over night.I like it but I have used it enough I would like to try some other recipes for a change. Let us know what you use thanks,Larry.
jcathunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1654317690

Postby jcathunter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 am

I never measure anything and just add to taste but I use a lot of soy sauce, a good amount of worchestire sauce, a lot of apple juice or grape juice, beer, soda, whatever you have on hand. A touch of liquid smoke, a touch of garlic powder and as much course ground black pepper as you see fit. Its an easy recipe to tweak to taste and everyone loves the jerky.
Dan V
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Dan V » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:49 am

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Morton Salt's tender quick
3/4 cup liquid smoke
1 table spoon black pepper
throw in onion/garlic powder, a teaspoon or two
6 cups of water

soak over night
remove meat, pat dry with paper towels
put on racks on oven at 180-200 degrees for 4 hours with door cracked open
Crow

Postby Crow » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:30 pm

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Special Equipment: 1 box fan, 4 paper air-conditioning filters, and 2 bungee cords

Directions

Trim the meat of any excess fat, place in a zip-top bag, and place it in the freezer for 1 to 2 hours in order to firm up.

Remove the meat from the freezer and thinly slice the meat with the grain, into long strips.

Place the strips of meat along with all of the remaining ingredients into a large, 1-gallon plastic zip-top bag and move around to evenly distribute all of the ingredients. Place the bag into the refrigerator for 3 to 6 hours.

Remove the meat from the brine and pat dry. Evenly distribute the strips of meat onto 3 of the air filters, laying them in the grooves and then stacking the filters on top of one another. Top these with 1 empty filter. Next, lay the box fan on its side and lay the filters on top of it. Strap the filters to the fan with 2 bungee cords. Stand the fan upright, plug in and set to medium. Allow the meat dry for 8 to 12 hours. Start checking at 8 hours & just let it go until you reach the desired texture. If you don't want to use air filters then you can use the trays from a dehydrator & just leave the fan lying on its back propped up on a couple of books or blocks for better air flow. The racks seem to work faster than the filters do anyway. This is traditional beef jerky where the meat is dried with cool air which produces a much better flavor & texture to the finished product IMO. When using heat, even low heat, the meat is cooked to some degree changing flavors & textures. As for any food born illness concerns the acid & salinity of the brine will kill any surface bacteria present & the removal of moisture from the meat will prevent decay just as cooking does. I started doing this a couple years back & haven't made a single batch of jerky using heat since.
Crow

Postby Crow » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Here's a recipe I've used for a while now for an actual beef jerky meal. It is mighty tasty & is pretty easy to make at camp if you just think ahead enough to bring the necessary ingredients. Try it out but I don't recommend this with store bought stuff, something about it tastes a little off when I did it.

3 to 4 ounces beef jerky

1 cup boiling water

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1/2 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

Pinch kosher salt

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes

1 teaspoon dried parsley

1/4 cup heavy cream

Using kitchen shears, cut the jerky into small bite-size pieces. Place in the boiling water and set aside.

Place the vegetable oil, onion, and bell pepper, along with a pinch of kosher salt, in a large, 12-inch saute pan over medium heat. Sweat for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the jerky and its liquid along with the tomatoes, parsley, and cream, and continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Serve over toast, biscuits, rice, or pasta.

Return to “POORBOYS Recipes! and anyone else that has a good recipe!”