COON???

Feel free to Drop your favorite Recipe here.
coonkiller18

COON???

Postby coonkiller18 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 pm

anybody ever ate coon. and how would you cook it??
POORBOY
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: COON???

Postby POORBOY » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 am

Clean it.
Cut it up and put in crock pot with water, beer, wine, etc.

Or put it in roaster or oven without cutting up.
Put on a heavy coat of garlic powder.
With above liquid.

When falling off bone.
Pick all meat into small pieces.
Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, beer.
Cook in crock pot till all is cooked.
Drain.
Add BBQ sauce.
Cook a bit more.

Serve on Good quality rye bread.
With horseradish and swiss cheese.

And of course cold beer, and several friends.

Jerry
Leopard Cur Message Board
www.voy.com/147738/
guy54
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby guy54 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:18 am

Get a hold of "vahallacur" who is on this forum. I have eaten BBQ coon that he has prepared for a church potluck. He is from Missouri and he will eat anything or at least try it. He has been known to BBQ a badger. He invited us over to dinner one time and we accepted very cautously. You never know! He probably has a recipe for just about anything you would want to cook.
carl
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby carl » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:37 pm

I have never tried coon but have been told that to eat it you must get all the fat off both inside and out. And remove all the scent glands. These are located under the armpits of the front legs, on either side of the spine and in the small of the back. They are small round Kernels. Hope that helps.
dan kluthe
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dan kluthe » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:13 am

Add to Jerry's POORBOY crockpot recipe some potatoes and carrots. Meal fit for a king. True Story: 19 year old Daughter Chris that had been on a no meat diet (wouldn't wear leather & so on) dropped in for a visit at meal time - Hey Chris, Sit down and have some supper - Believe I will she says, thanks - She ate three BIG helpings - She acted like she was starved. Five years later we told her it was coon we had that night. Yes, delicious.

From another Missouri boy that knows good food
bigmikej

Postby bigmikej » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:15 am

I love coon. I cook it like a beef roast with carrots and potatoes. It taste almost identical to beef. I have fooled people by pulling it off the bone and offering them a bite. I have also deboned it raw, run it through a meat grinder, and made taco meat. It was again almost identical to beef. I even barbecued a porcupine that my dogs got into last winter. They had never seen one until we moved to the Clovis area. It was very good and had quite a bit more meat on it than I expected. I would recommend trying to get one without getting your dogs full of quills though.
bigmikej

Postby bigmikej » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 am

I love coon. I cook it like a beef roast with carrots and potatoes. It taste almost identical to beef. I have fooled people by pulling it off the bone and offering them a bite. I have also deboned it raw, run it through a meat grinder, and made taco meat. It was again almost identical to beef. I even barbecued a porcupine that my dogs got into last winter. They had never seen one until we moved to the Clovis area. It was very good and had quite a bit more meat on it than I expected. I would recommend trying to get one without getting your dogs full of quills though.
ga plotts

Postby ga plotts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:59 pm

here is how I was taught to do it...

boil it in water till fat is starting to turn loose, then drain all water and refil with fresh water, boil once again and drain, onthe third time boil ion 1/2 water and 1/2 apple cider vinigar and after this boiling pull the meat off the bone and bake it with vegies like pot roast, seasion to taste.

ps. I like to add a little brown sugar in the last step. and I also think it only needs to be boiled once in water and once in the vinigar mix
Medic4049
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Medic4049 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:04 pm

soak meat in salt water for about 4 hours. get 2 jars of jalapenos in the juice and one jar of peppicinos. bone out meat. put all in crock pot and cook on low for 4-6 hrs. the add carrots and potatos cut width ways into 1 " pieces. turn crock pot up to med and cook another 4-6 hours. enjoy. oh yeah be sure to have a few tums ready if u get heartburn on substitute on jar of jalapenos for peppicinos. and as said before, a beer with this meal is good, but friends are even better.

Return to “POORBOYS Recipes! and anyone else that has a good recipe!”