running walker bear dogs.

Talk about Bear Hunting
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

running walker bear dogs.

Postby 1280 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:10 am

Does anybody use running walkers on bear? How is their nose as far as rigging and cold trailing? Do they stick with mean bears? and are they good bay dogs?
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Re: running walker bear dogs.

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:23 am

I know a bunch of people that use Running Walker or Triggs on bear. There are a few around here that catch as many bear in a year as any person, in any state, with any type of dog. Speed, heart, and Grit to spare. That being said I wouldn't own one (at least from the stock around here) They have terrible temperments, and most litters are culled before they can ever be hunted, as they are scared of there own shadow. The ones that turn out, are still usually so people shy, the owners are lucky to catch them. They also don't have much nose, mouth or tree in them. Most also have been bred without much regard in conformation or hereditary issues. They have some of the worst feet and legs, bad bites, demodex mange, allergies, no testicles, hernias, bad hips, the works.

I will say there are a few nice ones, they make bear dogs, but they have some holes in them. I just don't think people are being selective enough when breeding.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby kickemall » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 am

Cassandra, are the dogs your talking about pure running dog or running dog crosses? Almost all the pure running dogs I've seen were about as good looking dogs as you could ask for. I know of several registered running walkers that are good bear dogs and will stick on the mean ones. One of them is a pretty decent trail dog and opens well on a cold trail. They all tree on bear but not like a regular tree dog. I just don't care for them because its so hard to find one that will open good on a cold trail.
jasonrinebold
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby jasonrinebold » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:51 am

I've had more health issues with the few paper treeing walkers than any running dog cross I've seen or hunted with. All my dogs are about 1/4 to 1/2 running dog. There bred that way for there feet and speed. They can tend to be a one man dog depending on how there raised. But when there breed right they'll track and run faster than most dogs. Have more drive than alot of dogs and they'll bay a rough one till you get there. I and every houndmen has a bone yard full of culls and mine has every color in it. But what I'm running suites me and my style of hunting good. Mike Kemp of Three Bear Kennels has some running dogs and videos that may show ya what your wanting to know. There are bunch or types or lines of running dogs also and I'm sure that matters to Crogans, Triggs, and Julys just to name a few. I have a few with some trigg and a few that are ???? but they don't stand in the road, and they better produce.
Jason Rinebold
Bungalow Outfitters
Jason.rinebold@yahoo.com
208-310-6501
Shrek

Postby Shrek » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm

All the running walkers around here puss out on any kind of a fight. the only way i would use running dogs is if i was a coyote hunter or if i crossed them with some dogs with grit.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:01 pm

around here running walkers are mostly used as deer dogs, for whatever reason a few will "trash" on bear & refuse to be broke off. they usually get traded to bear doggers for deer loving "bear dogs."
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 pm

The best bear dog i ever seen was pure running dog. bay a mean bear for days. seen him packed out with his guts rapped in him with a shirt. never slowed him down a bit. He never started treeing until he was 4 or 5 but he would be there sitting down looking at it . I have had some that had the coyote look in there eye but if you spend time with them they are fine. There are so many diff types but if it was me i would go with the lemons or trigg and cross them with some good treeing stock. it makes for a tough hard driving track dog. most all of them will tree on a stinky old bear. when it comes to baying they will do that too. just from what i have seen.

jc
redmange

Postby redmange » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm

hey coastrange we are still waiting to see the photos of some of the numerous cats you have caught HMMMMMMM?
:roll:
coastrangecathunting
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby coastrangecathunting » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 pm

i will see what i can do. take me a couple days i got home from tennessee friday night .

jc
Lonewolf
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Lonewolf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:27 am

I have hunted Trigg Walker crosses and they made great bear dogs. They have great track speed with plenty of grit. Thier nose is the same as all breeds some just have a better nose on them. I think thier's great dogs in any breed you just have to know what to look for. I will hunt what ever will get the job done for me.
Kurt
J HUNT
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby J HUNT » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:10 pm

I just recently purchased a Trigg bred pup 7 weeks old, the guy was selling out and sold me two as a package deal, I also got a 6 mos old female, she is out of a Trigg and a Treeing Walker, she looks like a Walker - Tri-colored, but seems like she may end up smaller built, has nice feet and conformation, she is a little shy, this guy never fooled with the dogs much. All I wanted of the deal was the pup, so if anyone would like to try out a Trigg/Walker female you are more than welcome to this one, I have to many to feed as is.

Thanks, Jason Hunt
HOME OF DUAL GRCH HUNT'S RIDEGTOP RUBY
loaded4bear
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby loaded4bear » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:56 pm

Does anyone know an elderly man in Va. named Boggs? JHUNT's female is out of his bear dogs. I'm interested in her but would like to know a little more about the breed and crosses.
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:11 am

every dog I have is at least half running dog I dont own a spooky one or one with bad feet legs or mange. Fact is alot of running dog have been bred for nose and purformance not papers or competition coon hunting. When they tree you see fur. I have a full blooded Liquore running walker that stikes trees bays by him self and opens good on a cold track
fallriverwalker1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fallriverwalker1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 pm

ive read all these comments the only thing ive seen here is no one has paid much att to what running dogs were bred for , there running dogs , not tree dogs , if a running dog trees thats a fault . the guys that breed these dogs dont want them to tree,ive ran with guys that had running dogs and they didnt out run any of my dogs ever .so why cross running dogs with tree dogs just dont understand the reasoning .
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:58 pm

I crossed on the running dogs to get tougher more durable dogs with better track speed on the average. They also have thicker hair and hold up better in the brush and stinging nedls on the coast

Return to “Bear Hunting”