Ursus Plotts

Talk about Bear Hunting
Trailhound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ursus Plotts

Postby Trailhound » Tue May 04, 2010 9:12 pm

Anyone have some info on the Ursus plotts Steve Mohr runs? I would like to hear what everyone thinks about this line of plotts and what steve is like to deal with.

Thanks
BIG TRACK
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Ursus Plotts

Postby BIG TRACK » Wed May 05, 2010 12:09 am

EXTREMELY SLOW ON TRACK. THEY ARE SUPPOSE TO MAKE UP FOR IT WITH GRIT BUT MY EXPERIENCE, THE BEAR WAS TREED OR TAKEN BEFORE THEY GOT THERE. VERY SORRY TO LOOK AT ALSO. HOPE YOU HAVE BETER LUCK WITH THEM THAN I DID :roll: CALL STEVE MOHR. HE WILL TELL YOU EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AND THAN SOME ABOUT HIS SPECIAL PLOTTS
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Smiley » Wed May 05, 2010 12:40 am

Mike how many have you hunted with?
That said I to believe they are on the slower side of average on track when compared all breeds in general . I have hunted my slow dogs and been right with the other dogs but have yet to have them come out to the road on a bad bear when many others have and that's knowing all were there on the bear ..
What you doing Saturday I would love to see if your dogs are that much faster :D .
CB Kennels " Color Blind Kennels " haha
BIG TRACK
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby BIG TRACK » Wed May 05, 2010 1:25 am

SMILY THAT'S MY OPINION OF THE USUS PLOTT HOUND. I HAVE SEEN ENOUGH TO KNOW I WOULD NOT OWN ANYMORE! WHEN YOUR BAITS GET HIT, CALL I'LL SHOW YOU MY PLOTT WALKER CROSSES ALONE!!! :twisted:
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Wed May 05, 2010 3:53 am

when your get hit call and I will come over my bait is to crowded all ready.
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Thu May 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Steve Mohr doesn't need to blow smoke up anyone's butt about his dogs. Call him, he is a fine man, he can give you references on his dogs all across the U.S. and foreign countries too. His dogs did not get their reputation from the internet, they made them in the woods. He is one of the few men to tree a grizzly with his pack. Maybe his dogs won't suit everyone, but whose will? Talk to the man "one on one" and make up your own mind. Sometimes internet "opinions" just confuse the issue. After you talk with Mr Mohr I bet you order a dog, and don't think for a second he won't show you his dogs in the woods. Good luck.
Beartree

Postby Beartree » Thu May 06, 2010 11:45 pm

One thing about you plott lovers...it takes a narrow mind and a hard head to own them. I'm sure there are some good ones out there but the odds are definetly poor. At least that's been my experience. :joker
larry
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby larry » Fri May 07, 2010 12:51 am

I've seen an ursus bred dog flat leave the pack, granted, it is an exceptional dog, but the speed is there in more than just a couple. Grit is way up on the list of positive traits also. I have seen some inconsistency in the dogs coming directly from the source in their build. I don't care for that aspect. Some are good to look at and some are not. There are a few small groups that have and breed them and seem to be putting out an all around better built consistent dog, but they are hard to get away from them, as it is also hard to get one directly from the source. There seems to be a pretty good ursus stronghold in Id and Canada, I would reccomend smithdeal to get an idea where you can find one you like.
reed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby reed » Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 pm

Beartree that is great statement. I can tell you put a lot of thought into your words before you printed them. Thanks for your contribution. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

As for the speed in the Ursus dogs, if you go to his website he willingly admits that he doesn't have the fastest dogs on the earth but is more proud of their stamina. He also states that he does not have cold nose dogs, but that trait is a subjective one. I may be wearing a parka on any given day while you are in a t-shirt and jeans. :wink:
paintemblue
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby paintemblue » Fri May 07, 2010 12:32 pm

I have had 3 or 4 of the Ursus dogs, I bought them directly from Steve, he is as honest a houndmen as you will ever find and great to deal with, as far as the dogs go all of them turnrd out to be fine dogs, not exceptional dogs but good, they were not up to caliber to be a lead dog but could definately hold their own in the woods, they were not the fastest dogs in the world but as long as your pack stays together and can put the pressure on the bear whey don't ned to be fast, they had lots of grit especially shined on a big rough bear that would whip oput other dogs, as far as their build, they were definately not built like brick****houses, I sold all of them to a guy in Idaho and , found out they were all killed by bears, but he did say that one of them turned out to be the best dog he ever owned and would put the hurt to whatever he turned him loose on. Give Steve a call and let him convince you like he did me and yiou will probably end up with a pup by the time you leave, his dogs aren't the most beautuiful dogs in the world but who cares as long as they have heart for the woods thats all that matters. good luck
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Fri May 07, 2010 1:01 pm

they sound like good dogs to make an outcross to some speed and conformation if thats what ya like ?
Beartree

Postby Beartree » Fri May 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Reed ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
same old same old, as normal can't take any criticism about your beloved plotts.
as for this post we have basically decided...they are not fast...don't have a nose...and are nothing special to look at... might i add they have terrible feet. but they do have heart? these are your words.
just because its my opinion doesn't mean i'm right. I can find faults in all my dogs but I will be the first to tell you I'm not color blind. If they catch bear I will own one. I have tried MANY plotts and still don't have one in the yard. That's where I base my OPINION. I'm glad some of you own those brown dogs. I just haven't found one yet that will do the job for me. But I'm a slow learner and when the next plott guy tells me how good his dogs are I'll probably send him a check and try a pup. Becaus eventually I will feed one long enough to pay for the others I've went thru. :beer
Yard Dog
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Yard Dog » Fri May 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Beartree,

What line of plotts have you tried?.....just curiuos.
Smiley
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Smiley » Fri May 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Beartree thats how I feel I have gone through hundreds of dogs and have found very few that worked on bear the way I believe they should including plotts . but it takes me less time and money finding a real beardog in these slow plotts than it did in any other line or breed I have tried or seen.
Can we both be right sure from our own personal experiences with individual dogs .
Catch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Catch » Fri May 07, 2010 7:23 pm

The Ursus dogs have a great foundation. With that being said, the dogs have only maintained, they have never improved from the start. The Ursus dogs are all over the map when it comes to consistency in looks, built, speed and nose. If your looking for a good foundation of plott to start with and breed for what you want, the Ursus dogs are a great choice. I can tell you this, I have not hunted with a dog that have more stick than a Ursus Plott, and I have hunted with a few other dogs.

Now that is my opinion on the dogs. When it comes to the breeders of the Ursus strain I would be cautious. One can go to a magic show and see magic, but in reality all you got was out smarted by the magician. If you buy a pup I will warn you that the guarantee only is good if you return the pup. So it will cost you to buy the pup, ship it, hunt it and if it is a dud, return it, and pay to have another sent out. If you cull the pup you are SOL on getting your money back or another pup. When ethics are involved, I would be cautious again and be very careful how much is given without anything in your hand. Out West many good line of Plotts have been started from the Ursus line, but very few go back and buy pups from Canada. The West has seen the magic show and figured the magician out, now the magic show is headed to the East. JMO

Return to “Bear Hunting”