Vermont Bears?

Talk about Bear Hunting
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Vermont Bears?

Postby wackysam16 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:57 pm

Anybody know were the bears are hiding cause it's been real slow since the corns been cut and we can't seem to find very many. Last weekend we had nothing until i took the dogs up on the four-wheeler mountain trails and we struck one out of the beech trees and then it tagged a tree and ran down the river and the dogs lost it, so was wondering if anyone knows where they are hiding out at so we can get some runs before the seasons over.
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Vermont Bears?

Postby bob baldwin jr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Due to the warm weather this season ,Most we have put up started in the SWAMPS
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:40 pm

just got back from maine near the Nh border there still hittin baits there last year 2 week in oct they were den up already and were high up n dogs were cold trailin this week i would bet in the acorns seems like a good year for them weird thing is we keep runnin bobcats they run them in the winter and were circlen them this week my freind says its been slow in NH they only come out at night there he is sittin on a bait no dogs
if there not hittin baits i would guess there denned up there was not a lot of natural food last year so by the 14 oct they were gone now there goin to run them till this friday the 30th
last year my freind in NH saw a lot this year he saw none li freediver
Last edited by lifreediver on Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wackysam16 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:43 pm

Ok well we will try some swamps this weekend but we don't have very many acorns or oak trees around here that i know of. Thanks for imput
LoudmouthSpike
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby LoudmouthSpike » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:37 pm

If you happen to find the bears let us know!! We have been struggling for weeks also. one corn field is left standing and there seems to be a few bears there every couple days but with that being over an hour away its tough. We have walked oak ridges that usually have bears but nothing just tons of uneaten acorns. Hope to find some this weekend but like I said if you figure it out let us know. Good Luck.
A Bad day of running hounds beats a good day of Work!
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wackysam16 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:06 pm

I'll let you all know if we find any. Good luck to you too
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:51 pm

well how are you guys doin any luck,we ran one friday mornin in maine close to NH that started with a cold trail the old one eyed 12year old walker figured it out jumped him had em treed by her self by 830
then had a gd breakfast watched the sun set havin diner n beer could not ended the season any better.last season the last day was cold no bears to be found

got my bear 2nd day dogs helped out last day of dogs well time to go south lookin for some action
:beer did the season end there yet li freediver
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bob baldwin jr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:51 pm

I will have to agree with you .Not much action in the acorns this year ,what little we had . Seems like most bears went to bed early this year .
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wackysam16 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:39 pm

Well we didn't do all that well this weekend. Saturday we started one that crossed a road and we thought it was a sow with cubs. The dogs ended up in quite a few swamps by like 10:00. And the Garmin stopped working and it started to snow, the beeper told us that they were treed. So we went in and went through like 3 swampy areas and we got there and the dogs were treeing on an empty tree that looked like the bear had climbed it before the dogs got there and then bailed because we saw where it clawed the tree going up and then where it left going through the leaves, but the dogs arn't smart enough to take the trail when they were treeing. So we left but by the looks of the claws going up the tree it was a pretty good sized bear. And then Sunday produced nothing. :(

Our season doesn't end until the 17th but we stop now cause we only can hunt on weekends and the youth deer weekend is this coming weekend and then deer hunting starts after that so we don't hunt when that season goes on cause some people shoot dogs around here.
beardog-treed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby beardog-treed » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:36 pm

I have not been able to get a track started for about 4 weeks now. The bears are hitting some apples, but not on a daily basis. I had a track coming accross the road the other day into the apples, but the dogs could not smell it. I walked the through the whole acre lot where the apples are and bear scat all over, but not track to run. It has been a tough year running this year. I hope WV turns out to be better for me then VT has been.
LARSENS BLACK BEAR KENNEL & SUPPLY

GREG LARSEN

1149 BURLINGHAM ROAD

PINE BUSH, NY 12566
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm

last year n the year before was two tough years for the area that we hunt west side of maine this year instead of riggin ran off baits the baits were on fire.the problem with the riggin a lot of them were small bears and even split races
the baits were good also because it was easyer to see how big the bear is and easyer to stop a big one
i sat with my girlfreind a few days and had 4 bears at once lookin at us one afternoon this year
weird is other parts of maine last year and year before guys said they were havin no problems
runni baits some times seems harder because you need a colder nosed dog than riggin the track could b 14 hours old then more than one bear could hit the bait n u think well one might b backtrackin when they leave the bait two separte ways
you need good dogs but wind rain and some times its the dogs screwin up some times its just bein lucky
are you guys runnin baits or riggin li freediver
Eden Hunter

Postby Eden Hunter » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:23 pm

What is a bear. Can't find one to save my life. Have to wait untill June 2011.
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wackysam16 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:27 pm

We can't bait bears here it's illegal so we just are running the roads rigging them. The one that we ran this past weekend was just pure luck that we came across it on the road and we didn't even get it.

I'm begining to wonder what a bear is too :lol:
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:11 am

.i dont know you guys walked the ridges and hit the beach nuts and acorns they got to be high lookin for dens this late.hope you guys run them dogs on cats or gettim south i was pretty depressed with the two bad years.
made a call my freinds freind who guides a little filled a fewtags early in vermont and NH but that said he has start dogs that have seen 300 or 400 bears and that helps
im tryin to swing the best start dog i ever seen for sale i hope i can swing it dogs like this dont come by often for any price
hope you guys get some treed for the dogs i used to joke with my freind and ask if i can show the dogs a pic of a bear to remind them what were lookin for that didnot go over well :lol: ttl li freediver
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wackysam16 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Well we been going to the beech trees and we havent run anything from them yet and we don't have any acorns or oak trees big enough to do anything with, we are probably done for the season cause of deer season and people shooting dogs but maybe we'll get some treed up before then cause we usually hunt only on weekends cause of work but maybe we'll get out on some weekday.

I'll have to try showing the dogs a picture of a bear then maybe we'll get a run :lol: :lol:

Return to “Bear Hunting”