Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Wisconsin permits up in 2008

Postby Emily » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:52 am

http://www.newrichmond-news.com/article ... 2a2735b2b7

From the New Richmond, Wisconsin News

More black bear hunting permits available for 2008

Published Friday, February 22, 2008

The number of black bear hunting permits for the Sept. 3-Oct. 7, 2008, Wisconsin bear hunting season is up to 4,660 from last season’s 4,405.
Successful permit applicants will receive notification by U.S. mail and may purchase their Class A bear license after March 10, 2008.

Hunters can check their drawing status and verify their mailing address by logging onto the Department of Natural Resources online licensing center; contacting a DNR service center or by calling 888-936-7463.

RELATED CONTENT
Link to WI DNR Bear Hunt Web Page
Add a comment Black Bear Management Zone B saw the largest increase, up 38 percent to 850 from 615.
Zone C increased 6 percent, up to 1,650 from 1,560, and Zone D increased 6 percent to 720 permits, 170 more than in 2007.

Only Zone A experienced a decrease at 1,440, down 14 percent from 1,680.

Hunters are reminded that for the 2008 bear season, Subzone A1 was renamed to Zone D. With this change, Zone A permit holders will no longer be able to cross over into Subzone A1, now called Zone D.

“This will give wildlife managers a much better handle on the number of bear hunters hunting in what was Subzone A1,” says Linda Olver, assistant DNR big game biologist.
esp
CODY FANKHAUSER
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby CODY FANKHAUSER » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:20 pm

:roll: I LIVE IN ZONE D (A1) AND WE HAVE A TON OF BEAR AROUND HERE!!!!!! YET THE DNR (DO NOTHING RIGHT) IN THEIR ALL KNOWING WISDOM SEEM TO THINK YOU SHOULD HAVE TO WAIT 8 TO 10 YEARS TO GET A HARVEST PERMIT!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS UP WITH THAT ?????

I PERSONALLY KNOW OF TWO PEOPLE THAT HAVE SENT IN FOR NINE YEARS AND DIDN'T DRAW A TAG. ONE AT 76 YEARS OF AGE, LOOKING TO TRANSFER IT TO HIS GRANDSON TO PASS THE TRADITION OF BEAR HUNTING ON IN HIS FAMILY. WHO KNOWS IF THIS WILL EVER HAPPEN NOW?????
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:15 pm

YRK

Not trying to stir the pot, but if you didn't get drawn with 8 points(7 pref, plus 1 more for this years app), I'd get on the phone pronto to the DNR. This is for zone D (formerly A1. Everyone with 8 points should have been drawn for D, unless there was a mistake on the application.

This info is straight from the DNR I got in an email. I had 7 points and didn't get drawn so I sent them an email to find out what the draw was.

This is a direct quote from that email.
"In D you needed to have applied at least 7 years (7 preference points) in order to draw a tag. 176 people with 7 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 1,225 with 7 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 8 points or more and wanted a kill tag got a license in Zone D."

In regards to other zones
"This year, applicants needed at least 7 points in Zone A, 10 points in Zone B, and at least 4 points in Zone C."

I'm assuming it was a tougher draw this year due to bait sitters going first. To put it in perspective with last year, everyone with 7 points was drawn and 1 person with 6 in A1. This year it took 8 for a guaranteed tag, and 7 for a 12.5% chance at one. So unless you were a dog hunter who would have been drawn last year, and refused the tag for a preference. You've got a roughly 12.5% shot at a kill tag.

Me thinks it's going to be a tough year for Hounders to find Kill tags. That is until the bait sitters can't fill their tag. Then the phones might be ringing.

Regardless 8 years is too damn long to wait for a kill tag. Once a decade is a JOKE.
bear1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bear1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:57 pm

We had a couple of guys who had 8 points for this years drawing and they did not get drawed in Zone a. I would have them put in last year but, we had enough tags going in last year that we thought we would hold them off to this year, I guess We were wrong!!! We ended up with 1 tag in our group! We are going to look for some tags, like everybody else, but I guess this season may be real short. I hope after all the time and money that we as houndsmen put into this, that we can kill more than 1 bear this fall.
tylers dad
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby tylers dad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm

that is another reason I left Wisconsin and moved to Idaho. I can buy a bear tag every year over the counter for less then $20!!! And we have a Spring and Fall season. :D
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:54 pm

bear1 wrote:We had a couple of guys who had 8 points for this years drawing and they did not get drawed in Zone a.

If this was the case, I'd get on the phone to the DNR and raise Holy Hell. According to the info I received it took 7 points in A to be in the drawing, therefore if they actually had 8 points it SHOULD not be possible to NOT get a tag. Unless there was a mistake on the application.

I generally get the numbers from the DNR every year, so that I know exactly what it took. I hear all the time that so and so had so many points and didn't get drawn, but when it actually comes down to they didnt' have as many points as they thought.

But if you were in A with 8 points (7 pref and 1 more for this years app), I'd get on the blower and talk to the DNR.
bear1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bear1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:07 pm

I know they had 8 points, we keep close track of what the guys have in the group. We called them yesterday after I was on here and read what was written. They said they could not explain what happen, isf something was missed placed or what. I do know that everything was sent in on time. They did get there point added , we checked it on the computure. I also know that last year I recived me tag for A and and I finnally drew on 9 points. I tryed for a tag since I 7 points. I keep thinking that this would be the year and finnaly it did come. The woman on the phone that we talked to also said that it was to bad they did not draw and could not explain to me what happened but, she said that is way it is a draw! That really mad me mad. I also know last year I 5 points for a bobcat tag and did not get it, I was told that it took 3 or 4 to get one. We sent the money last year to buy the list of winners for bear tags from the dnr last year and it was nnot complete. I know this cause I know of 3 guys that drew and they were not on the list. So, I feel it is like everything else the DNR does not tell you everything you want to know, instead just what you want to hear and what will make you happy.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:08 pm

bear

I got some additional info on the other zones. See if this helps you.

"Zone A - 126 people with 7 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 1,942 with 7 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 8 points or more got a license in Zone A.

Zone B - 667 people with 10 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 40 with 10 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 11 points or more got a license in Zone B.

Zone C - 166 people with 4 points who wanted a kill tag were awarded a license and 1,040 with 4 points who wanted a license were NOT awarded a license. Everyone with 5 points or more got a license in Zone C."

It should not be a draw in A with 8 points, in B with 11 points, in C with 5 points and in D with 8 points. They should get tags with no margin of doubt, regardless if it's a draw or not.

Cat tags are a little different deal all-together. It seems that there are more people that are eligible to be in the draw. It almost seems you can pull one with with anywhere from 3-5 points. But it is going to be a long time till you get the next one, you can bank on that. :D Lots of apps now.
Hummer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Hummer » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:27 pm

I heard a rumor that the DNR was going to change the draw for cat tags to the same format as the bear tags where you can apply for just a preference point if you wanted to?? Have you guys heard anything to that nature??

Personally I think the DNR is liking the current bear draw system, more and more people keep applying every year which ups the amount of points a guy is gonna need to draw a kill tag, which in turn puts more and more ching in the DNR's pockets.
bear1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bear1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 pm

These numbers do help. I think we are going to call back down there and raise some more heck, with them. Something happened to them. I do not know if they got missed placed and then were found so, they got there point or what. I wish we could get some kind of answer. Now that we know that everybody who supposed to have 8 points got a tag, it makes me wonder what happened here, I guess we will have to call them and figure it out. I do thank you for the numbers. JOE
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wiwalkerman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:51 pm

Bear 1 do they have 8 points now or 9 points now, Wisconsin doesn't give a point until after the drawing So if I had 7 that is what they would use for this year They wouldn't use 8 because I got my 8th point after the drawing.We had some people that thought they had 7 but in inreality they had aplied for 7 years meaning 6 points plus this year so they now have 7 points.Don't get me wrong I think they need to change something I am getting sick of training my dogs and haveing them die of old age before I can run a bear for myself.
bear1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bear1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:38 pm

We called the (the dnr) againe and they do have 9 points now. They explained to me that there was a mistake that did happen in them not getting a tag. I then asked them if they could recive there tag then, The man I talked to this time told me that they could not recieve a tag but, he did say they were sorry. I to am getting sick of training and not getting to kill bears. I do not mean to soung greedy but, I am in this for my dogs and nothing else! And everybody knows the more game you get for your dogs the better they will be. I run coon and yotes with my plotts to. I guess this gives them the chance to taste fur. I just wish they could get more bear fur. We killed 3 bears last year with the hounds and they did a wonderful job and we treeded 34 during training season so, they get the job done, I wish I could reward them more during kill season.

Return to “Bear Hunting”