how old of a track to be a cold noes hound

Talk about Bear Hunting
houndcrazy93
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000914143470

how old of a track to be a cold noes hound

Postby houndcrazy93 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:33 am

hye so i was bsing with some friends the other day bout hounds. and got to thinking if any of you would consider one mof my dogs cold nosed or med nosed. last year on a timber permit. he started a 17hour old track. he didnt strike it, but he trailed it a little over a mile then got it jumped, what kinda nose would you consider it. thanks for the help

hound hunting isnt a sport, its a way of life
BOSS HOG
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: how old of a track to be a cold noes hound

Postby BOSS HOG » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:44 am

bear or cat ? and how do you know it was 17 hrs ??? just curious
In times of tyranny and injustice, when law opresses the people, the outlaw takes his place in history....
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:28 am

I would guess he knew how old it was by snow,
you also need to figure in the terrain, weather and current weather. lots of factors.
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
houndcrazy93
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000914143470

Postby houndcrazy93 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:45 pm

i know it was 17 hours old, because we saw it the day before, in that spot. and the terain was real think with multiple creeks. and there wasnt any snow just dry ground. it was a bear

hound hunting isnt a sport, its a way of life
BEARCLAW
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BEARCLAW » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:10 pm

Sounds like you got a dandy. Did you get it caught? There is a lot of dogs that wont mess with a track thats more than four or five hours old. I would say you have a dang good cold trailer.

A lot of dogs that are good cold trailers have a hard time putting the hammer down when the game is jumped. This is also true for the opposite. A hot nosed dog will not mess with an older track but give him something hot and he will smoke it. This may not always be the case but i am just generalizing.

Whats realy neat is when you come across that dog that can do both you realy have something special.

Good luck on your bear hunting.
BigGameHunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BigGameHunter » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Like SWH said, there are lots of factors to consider but if the dog can consistantly MOVE 17 hour tracks, I would consider it to be at least medium nosed. Peoples view of cold med. and hot nosed dogs vary drastically so some others might not consider a dog that can move a 17 hr track med nosed some might consider it cold nosed.

At the end of the day, if the dog is consistantly catching game and makes you happy then who cares whether your buddys think about him having a hot, medium or cold nose?

Ask yourself if you are in this for the satisfaction of seeing your dogs catch game, or if your in it for the satisfaction of having everyone around you see that you have the "best dogs around". Either reason is fine; it's just a little harder(if not impossible) to have a pack of dogs that fits everyone's description of an excellent pack.
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:21 pm

BGH-Well said.
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:27 pm

on bear any dog that can catch a bear that they rigged or nocked over the barrel from the nite before before is cold enough for me if they can just do that most of the time im sure we all would be a lot happier with a cold one :beer
J.Jonet
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby J.Jonet » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:07 am

Well a 17 hour old track will take a certain type of dog to get it rolling in any region or area no matter on the condition good or bad froze or dry. just to take it that distance passing on other hot game is pressure to a dog. It seems thou a dog can take a track older easier in the mountains.
The next question is the age of the dog if it 3 or older you should expect them to do that at that age. If he or she does it consistently then you have a keeper.
lifreediver
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby lifreediver » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:42 am

some good points j jonet i think that is to old but i think 12 hours for a bear is old and who wants to start tracks ya cant finish if that is the only bait thats been hit and its a big track but if it is smaLL or there are other baits to run off of pick him up the baits are some times hit by multiple bears at differen times he could of been a different bear we would like to think it was the same bear but i have seen a race start and end in a hour with two bears treed my freind has treed three at once who knows not a sow with cubs
we chech baits at 6am so a track made at 1 pm in the afternoon the day before is idont know if dog can do that and jump the bear and tree him now that bear not one in the area it bumped well damn you have some top notched hounds period i dont think i ever saw a dog that can do that guess depends were you live we dont have to do that and there is so much that can happen heck burnin day light try other baits rigg a hot one well to each is own
in maine the bear factory its tough stoppin the 150 pound bear that pull away from the pack
in a hunting area not a park etc if you can catch one every mornin you run i think it is impossible but some years these guys do that i have seen 7 bears treed in 3 days but every other day seems to be the normal these days in a hunting area
well again i only seen about 50 hounds and that dog you got if he treed that bear is top dog hands down you did not say did you tree the bear
now what breed is he :beer
J.Jonet
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby J.Jonet » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:43 am

lifreediver, your rite if it is a 70degree or hotter day with the burning sun out anywhere a5 hour track is old and that is a fact i believe.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Was it the same bear? Just cause you saw a bear in that spot doesn't neccessarily mean it that was the bear the dog jumped. It might but then again it might not. Seen a lot of supposedly "cold" dogs that were more just "go find one" type dogs.

You'll look long and hard to find dogs that are jumping 12+ hour old bear tracks consistantly around here. I wouldn't bet they are going to be for sale.
Last edited by Nolte on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Nolte, I'm glad you said what I was thinking. I've seen multiple times where bear take the same track as other bear. I've seen it on the garmin where two groups are running different bear on the same track. As far as a 12 hour old track, around here, unless that bear is bedded within a few hundred yards there's a high probability that a fresher bear is going to walk over that track or even on the track.
It's great that the dog jumped it, great job, just giving other possibilities.
It's hard for me to give my own dogs credit for a tough track because there are always other possibilities for what a dog did or what the game did.
The only way to know for sure is to collar a bear, who wants to help wrestle one down?lol
outlaw13
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby outlaw13 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:08 pm

I think one way to tell would be to lay a drag and wait an exact amount of time and see what the dog can do. I believe a lot of people would be surprised as to what they find out. Also it is hard to tell on a 17hr old track. the bear could have only moved a few hundred yards and laid up, and it might have been a completely different bear.
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent

Go Big or Go Home!!!

Clint Berg
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:12 pm

I don't find much value in laying drags. Sure there might be some scent there but it is very tough to replicate the way an animal moves. You can try but it's still not going to be the same.

In any track, you have three factors working against time, conditions, and distance. You might get lucky and be able to jump a 2 day old track, if the critter then only moved a short ways and laid up. You might also not be able to jump a 5 hour track if it goes on walkabout and covers some ground. In either case, a dog that wants to work the track and keep making progress is what you are looking for. It might not work out on this track but it will eventually when luck is on your side. If the dog works it for a little while and then just sort of gives up, it probably won't make a good cold trailer. Likewise one that works and piddles around and comes out with nothing 2 miles away, won't do you much good either. If you have a dog that you can tell is working the same track (by size or characteristic), then you've got something in the works that might be a real good cold trailer. I do ususally have a spot for a dog that consistantly comes up with the right type of critter even if it's not the exact one I put down on. But I don't put it out when there is a specific track I want to work on.

Return to “Bear Hunting”