I drew a Wisconsin Bear Tag for this fall

Talk about Bear Hunting
fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I drew a Wisconsin Bear Tag for this fall

Postby fargo » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:26 pm

I had a guy lined up to help show me around but that fell thru, I have my own dogs and that is the main reason of going for the dogs. killing a Bear is not a high priority but if a good bear is treed by them I have the tag to make the decision to do so. I am not looking to horn in on anyone just direction of areas that I might get to run the dogs and not get into any trouble. I know it's a long shot to find someone that would help a stranger. The area is "D" I have yet to get ahold of a Biologist or a game warden to talk to them but will keep trying. Thanks
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: I drew a Wisconsin Bear Tag for this fall

Postby Dirty Jim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:36 pm

There is lots of public land available to run dogs in zone d. The only problem is yes there's lots of guys out hunting and a lot of groups get pretty territorial. Lots of county land and also lots of national forest with good population of bears. So if you do your homework you should be able to get your dogs ran and your tag filled. Will you be hunting alone?
fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby fargo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:19 am

Yes I am hunting alone. And Thanks for the info I know there is a ton of public ground there I have done some grouse hunting around the town of Phillips. and farther north of there.
mjk

Postby mjk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:49 am

fargo, from your posts, it sounds like you have not bear hunted with hounds before. Are you aware of how much time, effort, and money is involved in setting up bait stations. You need to have a number of baits set up to be able to run off them. These baits need to be run regularly to keep the bears interested. Do you know how, or where to set up baits. Trying to run by yourself is not easy either. If your whole pack is coming to a busy road, it is hard for 1 person to catch an entire pack. With the wolf situation, it could be very hard on your dogs, and you too trying to run by yourself. Finally, no offense to you or your dogs, however, if your dogs have never run bear, you really do not know if you have bear dogs or not. Many coon bred dogs may run a bear, but get whipped off by the bear too.
I am not saying that it can not be done, but as a novice, you are facing an uphill battle. The learning curve for you, and your dogs is huge in just a short amount of time. I would put a new post out asking if any group in zone D would welcome a new hunter with some dogs, and a harvest tag to hunt with them. I hunt zone A, otherwise you would have been able to tag along with us.

Good Luck!
mjk

Postby mjk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:07 am

Here is an idea that might help you. Why don't you join the Wisconsin Bear Hunters Association, (WBHA), and then plan on attending the WBHA annual convention the last week end of this month at the Patriot Center in Wausau. You could introduce yourself to the officers, and board members, and they could possibly steer you in the direction of a group willing to take on a new person, and new dogs.

Good Luck
Dirty Jim
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Dirty Jim » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:12 pm

yes hunting alone can be a lot of work but possible if you could find a passenger and you don't need baits to run bears a good strike dog is all you need. There are also lots of roads you could check for tracks. Have your dogs ever ran bears? If not this might not work you definitely will need some bear dogs. These public land bears can get pretty nasty by kill season.
mjk

Postby mjk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:03 pm

Jim is correct, you can just have a rig dog, however if your dogs have not run bear, you can not expect them to only rig bear. Also another reason I did not mention rigging is if you rig off other peoples baits, that probably will not go over well with them. I am not saying that you would do that intentionally, but as a novice you may not realize that you are rigging off a bait, as opposed to rigging off a bear crossing.

Jim is also correct in saying that you can run by yourself. I used to have Fridays off, and would run by myself, and the rest of the crew would come up Friday night. However, it was hard to keep up with the dogs at times because it took them 10 minutes to cross a section, but it took you 15+ minutes to drive around the section. granted this was before Garmin Astro's but still hard to stay in front of the chase. Now with the amount of wolves in the area we hunt, I would not even think about trying to hunt by myself.

Good Luck!
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:55 pm

If you are gonna try by yourself you might be better off going on a Monday-Thursday (if you can) when there is less guys in the woods (after opening week). There should be less 'territorial' toes to step on..

I've never hunted zone D but if it's like anywhere else (public land) that gets pounded, good luck finding a 'good' bear to get after. And if you do I wish you luck on getting it out of the woods/swamp by yourself, if your dogs can stop him long enough to get a shot.. There should be some small runners to chase though.

Like mjk said you may be better off trying to find a group to go along with.

Good luck and post pics of your excursion.
fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby fargo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:50 pm

Ok. my dogs have run bear I run bear in west Virginia. I do have a dogs that Rig and they have treed them. I am not a total greenhorn but by posting on here I am getting some responses I can use. The one about joining the wisc. bear assoc. is a good idea. and I realize getting a bear out alone is going to be a job but that is a choice that I will make when and if they tree a bear if I feel I can get it out and be able to save the meat I will do so but as I said my main goal is to be able to hunt and tree a few bears and not have my tires slashed when I come out. And yes I could do the baits and I might put a couple out but right now I want to focus on where because I know the wolves are a problem and would like to stay away from them as I said I am not wanting to step on any toes and that is one of the reasons for asking on here to find someone to maybe help me steer clear of the areas that hold higher populations of wolves. Thanks for all your input
mjk

Postby mjk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:14 pm

Fargo

Tried to pm you, let me know if you got it.
fargo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby fargo » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:34 pm

MJK yes I got it and sent a reply Thanks
Hollister
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollister » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:18 am

Phillips area is not going to help you... That's zone A, you'll have to go bout 40 miles north in order to get into zone D. There is plenty of room for hunters nobody owns public land remember that. And there isn't much area that isn't wolf infested. But if you need some help I could help you out. Pm me an we can talk more
wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wiwalkerman » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:41 am

not to be nosey but a little more history on yourself might help. hunting experience where u are from things like that. like was stated previously most groups don't like strangers in their territory. but they might allow someone to tag along.
Tbblue
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tbblue » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:05 pm

Although huntin with a group is a little more fun catchin bears by urself isn't any different if u have the dog power to do it . Mite just b a little more work. And as far as territory goes on state land , that's a bunch of crap , don't believe in it.
TNT KENNELS
RAY Bred Blues

Return to “Bear Hunting”