Breaking bear dogs off coon

Talk about Bear Hunting
ridgerunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Breaking bear dogs off coon

Postby ridgerunner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 pm

Lets hear some of your ways that you guys break your bear dogs off of coon. I'll start with a short story. I've got a 3.5 year old female plott that I started cold trailing last season. She's fast on a hot bear and tight on a tree. Last season she jumped a dozen or so bear starting her on baits for me and got on one coon in a swamp during kill season. Now this season I'm using her to start baits every time. She once again has done the trick on getting some bears up and rolling, however she has gained a growing interest in coon. She's treed multiple coon on me even after jumping a bear and then pulls off on a bumped coon or hot track. I've used two methods so far and that's the first most popular I'd guess which is the shock collar, shocking her when she takes a coon trail or is treeing on a coon. Second, a few what I like to call "come to Jesus" meetings while caught on a track or coon tree. Both of these haven't seem to correct her yet. Its not every time she takes a coon track but its happening more frequently and I would like to knip it in the butt. I know some might think that by her pulling off a hot bear to run a hot coon is showing she prefers coon, but I'm too stubborn to accept that for now. She does a damn good job on bear and if she could ever become "broke" off coon would be exactly what I want in a start dog for the most part. She doesn't leave a caught bear and has the grit to make it climb. She's put MANY bear up herself in the last two seasons. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Ranger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Breaking bear dogs off coon

Postby Ranger » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 am

I would put a coon or two in a kennel right next to this dog. Only welded wire between them. Gotta make dang sure the dog can't get to them. Let the dog live like that for however long it takes. I would start off with a high quality bark collar on the dog so every bark gets the dog shocked. I would think eventually coon wouldn't do much for the dog. As long as it's seeing plenty of bear.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

take her coonhunting with a broke coon dog for some shock sessions .the fact that another dog is doing it and they still cant get away with it can really drive home the message .
daveweaver

Postby daveweaver » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:45 pm

Consider her a cull and tell me to come get her? :D
ridgerunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ridgerunner » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 pm

Ha Ha Ha Ha. If I didn't already have a great coon dog I'd consider running her myself but bear is what she was bred for and she does awesome on them. In WI there is way more coon then bear where we hunt so if you're cold trailing off a bait your bound to have coon scent dang near everytime. Like I said before if I break her off coon she's pretty much everything I want in a start dog.... Nose to jump, speed to catch, grit/pressure to tree. Thanks for the replies, the kennel idea sounds awesome but my other dogs would never let me get any sleep! :wink:
Hi Tech
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Hi Tech » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:59 am

I start all my pups on coon, bear season here isn't long enough to get a pup started trailing good. I’ve had a very high success rate just pulling them off the tree each time they do it (while bear hunting). This is aggravating at first but as the dog matures he will quit. All of my older dogs don’t give a coon a second thought anymore. This usually happens around 4yrs old and that’s when dogs mature from the juvenile stage. Think about it from the dogs prospective. Any attention at a tree good or bad is still attention (which they crave) The dog has to have a clear picture of what you want them to do. I have found that sometimes my hand on the tri-tronics wasn't the clear picture.LOL
I would try ignoring the coons for a while and see what happens, I think you will be surprised. Just put lead on her, lead her away, take her back or put her back on bear and roll on. I’d rather mine tree coon than run speed beef or yote. Good Luck.
Hyatt's Creekside Kennels
See ya at the tree
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Cajun » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:20 am

I would get a coon in a cage & snap the dog to the cage. start shocking the dog. do this 4 or 5 days straight & I can promise you, that dog will leave coon alone. In fact, after the 3rd day, you will have a hard time snapping the dog to the cage as it does not want to get anywhere near that coon.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT

Return to “Bear Hunting”