Training off Brown Bears

Talk about Bear Hunting
WasillaLuke
Facebook ID: 0

Training off Brown Bears

Postby WasillaLuke » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:18 am

All,

I suspect that a similar question has been asked here before, but here goes...

I am in Alaska and since there aren't a ton of houndsmen up here, I am trying to figure out how to get around some of the biggest issues associated with running hounds in the last frontier.

So, for some of the lower 48 hunters who have to deal with grizzlies, how do you prevent your dogs from running them? And, of course, the second big issue up here would be moose.

I have read posts about training dogs off coons by keeping a penned coon near their kennel. However, obviously this isn't practical for me. However, I do have a moose hide and it wouldn't be hard to get a brown bear hide. Would the same concept work?

Thank you for your patience.
Cajun
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Training off Brown Bears

Postby Cajun » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:10 am

I would think the easiest way to break your dogs off moose would be to put them on moose & then shock them. You could use the moose hide a head of time & that should help.
Breaking your dogs off grizzly might be another thing if you want them to run black bear. From my limited experience in Sweden, my dogs ran brown bear just like they did black bear so you might run the risk of breaking them off bear altogether.
If you do not plan on running black bear then it would not be a problem.
MIKE CAULEY
BAYOU CAJUN KENNELS

Happiness is a empty dogbox &
RELENTLESS PURSUIT
Matt_Potter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1354055102

Training off Brown Bears

Postby Matt_Potter » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:48 am

Run the bears off bait where you have a trail camera set up. Check the camera to see what brand of bear it is before you dump the dogs.
WasillaLuke

Postby WasillaLuke » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:14 am

Matt,
Yah that was my short term plan, that and going off visual sightings which really arent that hard to have up here. But the big issue is having them not cross a brownie's path, like in some of our more densely populated predator control areas.
bchoundman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1296843432

Postby bchoundman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:01 pm

From my expireience grizzlys run the same as a black bear. I found grizzlies put on more of a show bay up, pound their front feet chase the dogs a bit more I also found they will lay down and kinda act wounded to bait the dogs in, then they will jump up and try to grab one but never had a dog get hurt
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:18 pm

www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
Fishercat
Facebook ID: 100001435037575

Postby Fishercat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 am

Expose your dogs to black bears. You have lots of opportunity right now to glass blackies on blueberries and walk the dogs into them, or check small feeder streams for spawning salmon, and freecast on ones with only blackie sign.

Return to “Bear Hunting”