Bluetick Bear Hounds

Talk about Bear Hunting
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Bluetick Bear Hounds

Postby lmorgan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Hogman, I see you're in Brookhaven. I'm in Kentwood, LA myself, so we're practically neighbors. We've probably coon hunted with some of the same people. I've heard the "slow blue dogs" argument all my life. I agree with most of what is said on here. Sometimes slow is in the eye of the beholder and most of what's in the woods these days would have been someone's cull 20 or 30 years ago. As for blue dogs being slow on bear, I guess I'm about to find out this fall. Dell Anderson in WV runs bear with his blues and Josh Ward in TN runs them with his and they both run the big old timey blues. I haven't heard them crying that they aren't catching any bear. I'm heading out there in October to see what all the fuss is about. I assume from your name that you hog hunt too. Do you ever hunt hounds on hogs, or just curs? I'm really partial to Catahoulas and try to keep some around, but all I've ever worked mine on are cattle.
Larry Morgan
Morgan's Cajun Blue Gascons
kiwi
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1709122889

Postby kiwi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:17 pm

My input into this is from my 3 trips to NH ,coming over from Australia . Hunt bear each time over a pack of Blueticks. They catch plenty of bear . We just take some photos and let them go ,Festus , Tramp , Rocky , Daisy and Pretty girl have given me some great memories . Most likely go back next year
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:10 pm

A few months ago there was a nice article in "Coonhound Bloodlines" about a couple ole boys who used their registered bluetick (Topper ?) to catch coyotes . As i remember he could be traced back to Smokey River blood.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:31 pm

1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:28 pm

They said CATCH!
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:06 pm

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:09 pm

The best bear dog I ever hunted was a blue tick he came from a guy in Michigan named joe galvise and I normally run plott dogs or plott cross black and tsn tan but that blue tick was a one dog bear pack he started his own tracks and he finished his own tracks he was super fast super gritty and had stamina to run all day and all night he was smart and a pleasure to Handle and he treed alott of bear all by himself he died last year hit by a car . He had pushed a bear right threw town and the man who hit him said he saw a bear cross the rd and he tuned his he'd to look at the bear and bang he hit the dog said he was tight on the bear the man felt terrible but old zackeria was stone dead right away Zack was the best bear dog I ever seen and I've only hunted for 5 years or so but I've hunted hard in that three years and hunted with men from years of line breeding plotts like thirty years and they were the first to call me and say I'm not a blue tick man butt you got a real dog their ya you can hunt bears with blue ticks and just to answer the question ya he was beat up lots and when heeled up he would go right back to pulling hair I seen him hit in the head so hard one time he could hardly walk and his head swerved up and bleeding so bad I thought for shure he was dead by morning he did not eat for days and his stool was filled with blood he made it threw that and went back to pulling hair right away another time we went to run bears in Wisconsin and a large Boer bear came down out of the tree while we were starting to tie the hounds back and that blue tick got tore up bad dislocated his shoulder and filled up with holes under his chest and legs and racked up good it all happened in 20 seconds and this time I thought he was dead for shure and it took a long time for him to heal this time he walked on three legs for along time and one day he was tied out side the house on a lead and I had the job of live trapping a bear and moving it and after live trapping the bear I pulled in to the yard to get some of the kids on our way to the release site and then drove up to the release the bear when I got home my wife told me that Zack had chewed of his lead and the neibour had seen me go up the rd with the bear trap with the bear in it and then to his amazement he saw this blue tick chasing the trap on three legs . Ya you can catch bears with a blue tick I got 4 pups out a joe galvises female and that zackeria dog just turning 1 2 weeks ago and 3 out 4 are doing well on the ground and making the tree and the one female is even keeping up with my fastest digs and staying up their in the lead I have high hopes that one might be like their dad was ya you can hunt bears with blue ticks I can't speak for all blue ticks but the ones we got hear are worth feeding keep looking up

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Bear Hunting”