SRH vs RH

Talk about Bear Hunting
tombstonekennel
Facebook ID: 0

SRH vs RH

Postby tombstonekennel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 pm

I plan on purchasing a revolver here in the near future and have narrowed it down between the ruger super redhawk and the redhawk. My main concern is being able to carry the 7.5" SRH vs the 5" RH on my hip.

Will be used as a side arm in WI, hopefully the dogs do their job so I won't have to use it on a bear picking me as the target in a bayup. I also plan to shoot my bear out of the tree with it this fall and will try to deer hunt with it in some tighter areas.

Any experience you guys have good or bad would be appreciated to help decide which on of these to buy.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: SRH vs RH

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:49 pm

I would go with the RH. It should be a little lighter weight than the SRH and a 5" barrel should be pretty accurate but if you are wanting to deer hunt also, the 7" would probably be better and you could add a scope to it without it sticking out over the barrel. If it were me I would think about which I hunt more bear or deer and go from there. Are you stuck on the Rugers? I know that Rugers are built like brick shithouses and they are heavier than a lot of other revolvers in the same caliber.
tombstonekennel

Postby tombstonekennel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:32 pm

It would prolly get used more for bear hunting and occasionally deer hunting, and ya I'm pretty stuck on rugers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Rugers are pretty nice, I know I like my .357. All in all, it probably doesn't make too much of a difference but since you want to hunt deer with it, I would go with the 7" barrel, should be a little more accurate and pack a bit more punch due to the longer barrel.
NewMexHunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby NewMexHunter » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:19 am

I have the super Redhawk .44mag in a 9.5 inch barrel. It's heavy but have it in a chest harness. I like that better than the hip so it doesn't pull your pants down while hiking and you can slide down a hill on your hip and not worry about your pistol. I like the fact that the SRH can handle some hot loads for elk and regular loads for bear and deer.
44magman
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 44magman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:18 pm

I have a srh with the 7 1/2 " barrel with a 4 power lepouild scope and have it in a shouder holster and like it . the only thing I would change is the scope I would go with the 2 popwer scope . it is the 44 mag and does a very good job on deer and bear.
tombstonekennel

Postby tombstonekennel » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:26 pm

Thank you everyone for the replies, after heading to cabelas and handling both guns I believe I'm going to be going with the SRH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AAA Gundogs

Postby AAA Gundogs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:39 am

The Super Redhawk has the internal design that has the capacity to be a smoother action after a trip to a competent gunsmith.

Also, the grip design is much different between the two. The Redhawk uses the standard grip frame with grip panels. The Super uses a peg design so grip shapes, designs, etc are not effected by a frame.

If you're going to shoot cast bullets, take a set of micrometers to the gun shop and measure cylinder throats. While constancy would be nice, what you're looking to avoid is an oversized cylinder throat. Undersized throats are preferred because your smith can hone them to perfection.

Lastly, don't fret the barrel length. A smith can easily chop it down to whatever you want. I've generally found that, for me, 4" to 6" is about perfect for a revolver.

All the best and enjoy!

Return to “Bear Hunting”