Pistol question?

Talk about Bear Hunting
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Pistol question?

Postby Trueblue » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 pm

Most of those stories you hear about a bear being loaded full of lead are because of inexperienced houndsman. Guys who have been around for awhile and have been up close and personal with game on many, many occasions have no problem putting the smack down on a bear with either the .357 or the .44 mag. Both are plenty of gun for the job as long as the person holding the gun is capable of using it properly. Increase in caliber will not compensate for a deficiency of the person holding it.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:51 am

If you use a handgun make sure you are good with it. I have seen dogs killed at a bay up by people that thought they were good. Be willing to get up close. I have seen good shots with a pistol not be able to hit anything in a tight situation. I have almost been shot twice when game is on the ground and shot once. I have know people that were killed at bear bay ups. Think before you shoot with a pistol or rifle. A 357 with hallow points will stop a bear and may not go thru to kill a dog. If one hunts enough you will see it all. Dewey
AAA Gundogs

Postby AAA Gundogs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:05 am

dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:36 am

Gundogs you are total right it is bullet placement or type of bullet. I have used a pistol for over 50 years my favorite is a 22 mag on bear lion and bobcat. Would I recommend it to anyone no. I guided hunters for bear, lion and bobcats for 26 years I don't like anyone showing up with a pistol. I did have a client kill 3 bear and 3 lions with pistols over the years and he did a good job. He was a ex cop. I have seen many lions killed with a 22 mag and have killed several bear and lions with a 22 mag. On a bay fighting bear a shot behind the ear with a 22 mag will get the job done at very close range[ less than 5 feet]. I have seen bear shot with a 454 with solids that would not kill a bear, the same gun with hollow points with less powder did great. Shot placement is the key I have seen 3 bears killed with 22 LR two of those with a pistol. I would not recommend that to anyone, but it can be done. If a client wanted to shoot a pistol they had to prove to me that they could hit what they shot. Most could not, and any client was aloud only one shot to prove themselves. Dewey
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Trueblue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:14 pm

The gentleman that started the thread was not asking what is the best gun for the purpose of shooting bayed bears. I think most everyone would agree that if you PLAN on killing a bear on the ground in front of your dogs the best choice is a long gun.NO WAY would I allow anyone to use a pistol to shoot a bear on the ground in front of my dogs besides myself. This guy was just asking what is the best choice in a hand gun for self protection in the very rare case that something unusual and unexpected happens. I know in Idaho much of our season is pursuit only and killing a bear is not even an option unless your life is in jeopardy. Packing a long gun everywhere is just out of the question for me, it's just way too much of a pain in the ass. I never even packed a gun for years until one day a bear put me in a tree for about 45 minutes. That bear taught me a lesson..999 out of 1,000 bears will probably never give you a problem but when I come across that 1 in a 1,000 again I want to have at least some means of defending myself and either a .357 or a .44 is a whole lot better than nothing.
Plott_Dogs

Postby Plott_Dogs » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:54 pm

Trueblue you are correct...I hopefully never will have to take the gun out of its holster...it would be for self defense for me and my hounds only...every bear I've ever killed was with a Win. Model 94 32 special shot in the head...which works real well lol...but I have a lot of close up encounters with bears on the ground and there has been a couple times there has been close calls where I was thinkin after all said and done "damn that was close and coulda been real bad"...which is y I want a pistol...but I do enjoy reading everyone's opinions so thanks again fellas for posting your thoughts and opinions
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:55 pm

Totally agree about bullet selection and shot placement. I've carried a Ruger 44 with the 7 1/2" barrel for years. I had it Teflon coated 25 years ago and that was the best thing I ever did. It's never had any rust anywhere and it's been through a lot of crappy, wet, muddy, nasty deals. Still looks great. Another gun I've used with great success is a TC 30-30 with the 16" barrel. The TC is much better if the critter is way up in a tree. Both guns are easily carried in your pack and don't weigh much. I did have a buddy shoot a cat out of the top of a tree with a 9mm, one shot. Impressed me but that is far from my first choice.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:46 pm

Well I'm no expert on any short guns but I've seen them shot with a 44, 41, and a 357. My preference would be in that order. However, there are 3 things that scare me when someone shows up with a bear tag, a bow, a pistol, and a scope. If I'm at any capacity of trying to kill a bear or back someone up, it's gonna be an open sighted rifle. And if you're finishing it off the best way is if you've got to pick hair off the barrel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:59 am

I carry a 44 mag. revolver for protection and have dispatched a few animals on the ground with no problem "at point blank range" Everything I have ever seen shot out of a tree with a pistol has been a total rodeo, that is why I always keep an open sited 44 mag rifle in the truck. If a tag holder shows up with a pistol that rifle gets carried to the tree. A lion is is easy to kill many are killed with 22 magnums. It is all about shot placement.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:15 pm

Dewey,

I agree I like the 22 Magnum a lot it's a crackerjack on lion. Most of the lion hunters who hunted for bounty and killed hundreds of them gravitated to smaller and smaller guns. Read Jay Bruce's book COUGAR KILLER. Jay carried a 38-40 six shooter for a couple hundred lions and then switched over to a 22LR Colt Woodsman semi- auto for several hundred more and said he sure had a lot less tore up dogs once he did. Just pop them behind the shoulder wait a few seconds and they pitch out dead on their nose. Hit with the bigger bullet the shock would at times blow them out of the tree and they would run off with the hounds in hot pursuit. sure they would die but when you got there they had chewed up the dogs a bit before they checked out. Clell and Dale Lee were also guys that packed 22 handguns a lot and Dale lamented the day that in a wild ride after a pack running in full cry a limp tore his favorite Colt 22 out of an old holster he had and he never found it. Clell let him use his Ruger Single Six for awhile after that and Dale said he couldn't hit a dang thing with that gun!

Please note: Rimfires are usually not allowed by State game laws for big game so be sure you check your proclamation before head to the woods. I carried a 32 H&R magnum Smith Kit Gun Stainless in a sweet little El Paso leather shoulder rig for a long time. That little cartridge with an 85 Gr. XTP bullet is dynamite! Sure sorry I let it go....

A fellow was telling me the other day that he had a good friend who was a trapper in Alaska and that he carried a AMT 22 Magnum Semi-Auto and loved it. I had always heard this gun was not reliable but he said this guy swears by it and has even bumped off a few big bears with it.

Don't believe I would go that far. LOL!

I guess it is probably like Eastwood said. Man has to know his limitations! LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:44 pm

I personally carry a ruger match grade 357 mag. My suggestion would be to pick a pistol that you can personally use accurately, proficiently, and comfortable for you. If you're going to carry a pistol for backup use the gun that is the best fit for you.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:15 pm

go to( you tube) and type in worlds most powerful handgun click on the one by adam wright ,and you will see the gun you need.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:11 pm

kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:04 pm

ya thats the one not color blind
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:24 am

This reminds me of an old joke I've heard many times. If you are going to use a pistol for bear, make sure you file the front sight off so it doesn't hurt when the bear shoves it up your backside.

Return to “Bear Hunting”