Treeing Curs

Talk about Bear Hunting
john porter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Treeing Curs

Postby john porter » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:23 am

Anyone chasing bears with treeing curs? I got a couple young ones and am planning on running them with my bear hounds. Just looking to see if anyone else uses them for bear and big game......John
Porter's Plotts
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Re: Treeing Curs

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:42 pm

John, curs that tree? I have a lot of cur crosses and on pure bred. I catch a pile of game including bear and they pay my bills year around so I would say they work just fine.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:07 am

For anyone curious, the designation "treeing cur" was given by UKC for people that wanted a place to register their cross bred dogs, and cross breed developments. I don't remember the requirements exactly, but they are posted on the UKC treeing cur board I am sure. They had to be part cur and the other part might be anything, or possibly it has to be part hound.

Amy Kovac spear headed this when she crossed a hound on a cur and came up with an amazing dog. She started a line off that dog and called them Amazing Curs. She, and others wanted to register dogs like this, and UKC is usually agreeable about taking in registration money. So they started the treeing cur registry.

So there you go: registered treeing curs.

It is probably kind of a confusing title because nearly all lines of cur that I know of do tree.

John, some of the best dogs I have known closely were part cur and part hound and even part other stuff. And one of them I even registered as a treeing cur because I ended up at a competition hunt with her, and they forced you to register the dog.

And there are more really good cur/hound crosses that I have known of and even more that I don't know about.

I am guessing you will really like your treeing curs, and please let us know more about them, and how they do for you.
john porter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby john porter » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:18 am

These treeing curs are a result of me breeding my female cur to my male redbone. The male is one of my strike/trail dogs. The female cur is the grittiest dog I have seen in a long time but with a ton of smarts.
I breed this route as an experiment and am really liking the progress they have made. Will be trying these dogs on every type of game I got available and go from there. If they keep impressing me then I will continue hunting this type of dog. I am not breed particular and will try anything once or twice.
Doug, I knew you run dogs of mix breedings and do awesome with it as I watch your post and am inspired with them. You helped.me with the think out of the box mentality and dont know it.
David, thanks for the reply and I figured you had been around a few different crosses and would have a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again.
Porter's Plotts
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:10 pm

Good luck with your cur crosses, it sounds like you are off to the races.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds

Return to “Bear Hunting”