Springtime Idaho bear hunt help

Talk about Bear Hunting
Whiskey_Z
Facebook ID: 0

Springtime Idaho bear hunt help

Postby Whiskey_Z » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 am

Hello all,

I’m looking into trying this bear hunting out west and was wondering if anybody on here had some tips for me. I’ve hunted my whole life with hounds here in the swamps of WI but the mountains are a whole new ball game. My plan is to try spot and stalk the first year but use that as more of a recon mission for taking the dogs out for a bear hunt the following year sometime followed by a lion hunt. I’m looking at zones 10 or 12 right now just for the fact that it seems a hound permit would be easier to obtain for that area. I may be wrong too though!! As for spot and stalk, I’m not afraid to put miles on and would consider camping on the mountain for a few nights just to get a little deeper in. I would have about 5 days worth of hunting to make it happen too.

Anybody from out west have any help for me?? Thanks a bunch, and not looking for honey holes, just the basic info like what to expect and what is essential to bring along, what are my chances, etc.
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Springtime Idaho bear hunt help

Postby Rshcwisdom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 am

10 and 12 are roadless units. Wouldn't recommend turning dogs loose in those units. Better off putting in for non resident hound permit so you can hunt other units.
Whiskey_Z
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Whiskey_Z » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Thanks for the reply, no roads is definitely a problem for dog hunting!! I plan on putting in for a permit next year but don’t know how long it takes to draw so I guess I’ll look into some other zones and wait and see.

For now, I’m going to focus on a spot and stalk hunt this year. Hopefully I’ll learn a thing or two that way to better prepare for a hound hunt.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:13 am

Whiskey Z Idaho gets hunted hard in roaded areas and a lot of hound hunters run off baits. Good bait placement can keep bears from hitting roads. Units 10 and 12 have a lot of bears but it's steep country which is harder for dogs to pressure a bear to climb then in flatter country. Yes you might have a 2 to 3 mile hike into a tree. But generally there is no snow and if you are in shape it's not bad. I will take a 3 mile hike into a bear tree any day over some of the brutal ordeals I have had going to a lion tree a mile off the road.
Lee Wolford
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Lee Wolford » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 pm

Besides very limited access, the lolo zone, 10/12 has the highest wolf population anywhere in the state. If you going to hunt there be prepared to deal with the wolves.

Return to “Bear Huntingâ€