Vermont,New Hampshire and Maine big bears

Talk about Bear Hunting
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Vermont,New Hampshire and Maine big bears

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Well guys & gals i wanted to get a thread going about some of the biggest bears taken in these 3 states.These 3 states are the only 3 states left in new england that you can still use hounds to harvest bears. Lets here some stories and see some pics of some good big bears.The bears that are shared on here dont have to be taken just by hounds still hunting is fine also.Im just curious on some of the big boys that were harvested over the years in these 3 states :D PLease include if this was the live weight or was it feild dressed.

Here is a bear that is a big boy :shock: that i just found on a maine hunting website.Its the pic of the tractor bucket holding up the bear.

http://mainehunters.info/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=91
''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''

-- John Wayne
Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Vermont,New Hampshire and Maine big bears

Postby Bow » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Hay glad to see you made it home.As you now are biggest is 552 that is with out any thing left in it.that is the new state record (NH).Did you look at the new dvd yet?
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Ya john if you get a chance post a pic of that monster again. Yes i watched your dvd it was great I liked the part with the sow and cubs getting relocated u dont see that everyday.

-- John Wayne
Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bow » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:49 pm

ill see if bow will get it on hear.
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:56 pm

This is the biggest one my partner and i have taken it was 300lbs live weight taken in Vt 2008.I have treed and seen bigger but we have never harvested them for one reason or another.

Here is a nice bear thats was taken in Vt with hounds in 2008.438lbs live weight. The houndsman was larry cheeseman and shooters name was matt johnson i beleive.Larry and i hunt together quite a bit.Larry has gotten a few pups off of me and they have done real well for him.

-- John Wayne
Borderpond
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Borderpond » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:55 pm

I have taken several bears in NH and Maine that weighed an honest 3 to 350.Biggest I have ever had taken with my dogs weighed 422,guts in though.I was standing beside the hunter when he shot it on the ground in front of the dogs.That was in Maine a few years ago.It sure looked like a monster to me.I have seen and heard of alot of 500lbers that were "never actually put on scales " ! None of them looked any bigger than the 422lber we got.

Had a hunter take a B and C bear with us a few years back. It weighed 220lbs on official scales.Go figure huh.

Hard to tell a bears weight without a real scale.I suck at estimating.Only one guy I know thats real good at guessing a bears weight without a scale.That guy is Pete Richardson on this site.He swears hes never been off by more than 150 lbs ! And I believe him.

Judging by Bows pictures, I would say his bear is the biggest I have ever seen or heard of in New England in recent years.What a beautiful huge bear.I love the picture of the bear standing on the tree.Now that must have been one cool hunt ! I do remember seeing pics of a bait bear thet weighed 622 I think, taken in Maine quite a while back.Dont know if it was officail weight or not.
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Budd Denny » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 pm

Jason, how big is that bear down in Nelson's basement, that thing is huge. If they would ever allow hound hunting here I'm sure we would see a lot of bear over the 500 pound mark. We see a few of them killed over bait every year.
........Budd Denny..........
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Im not sure budd,If you talk to him ask him

-- John Wayne
Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bow » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:43 pm

jason the bear in the dvd that is climing the pine tree with the branchs braking is the 552 pounder. i treed that same bear two days before and let it go didnt have a hunter
spruce mountain
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby spruce mountain » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 pm

These are some of the bears my clients have taken.All were weighed on certified scales,and all were live weight.

This was the biggest one 471lbs taken in 2001.The dogs had him in a hole.He killed one dog down in the hole.It took us about two hours to get him out of there.

This one weighed 420lbs taken last year.Bayed up on the ground.

This one was taken last year 372lbs,also bayed up.Nice job by a 14 year old boy.

This one was taken in 2007,350lbs, He was also in a hole.
Its a dam poor women who cant support a man and a pack of hounds.www.sprucemountainhunting.com
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:56 pm

Great pics larry them are some big bears. George do you have a pic of the big bear your client got?

John i saw that on the video that was unbelieveable what a monster.Anybody looking to see some good dog work and some nice bears should pick up johns new video bear hunting in the white mountains
John go ahead and use this thread to give out your info on the video.I dont mind.

-- John Wayne
Borderpond
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Borderpond » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:35 am

I've got a bunch of pictures Jason.I will post some as soon as I get a chance.I would like to get that video too if he posts how on here.A bear that big is a rarity in New England.I am guessing it was either corn fed or a dump bear ?
pete richardson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby pete richardson » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:21 am

george-- i think what i actually said was-- i was never off more than 500 lbs -
:mrgreen:

johns pic of bear standing on tree is one of my favorites too--id like to see more live pics of that caliber bear

the biggest bear ive personally shot- was standing on a tree just like that- it had already killed one dog and it fell top of my other dog

was 350 field dressed , scale weight , not super fat

probably the biggest bear ive treed-- wasnt weighed--

took two people to carry head and hide -

i dont like to post dead animal pics- but like a guy told me yesterday, we do hunt :)

this is one of biggest bear treed i have live pics of , same bear- same tree- just different angle and rain stopped

its a big tree---doesnt look as big in pic as i think it was -- nyways ,its not a baby -
:D

when the tailgate drops
Borderpond
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Borderpond » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Maybe you did say 500 Pete . Thats still better than I can do most times ! Unless theres a guided hunter shooting the bear.Then, I can be accurate within 20lbs.LOL A few years back they put in a scale at the tagging station where Tobey and I would bring the hunters and their bears.Tobey said it was bad for tips !! That same year the scales went in was when the bear population in Grand Lake Stream started a biological downslide.All the bears being weighed in were around 100lbs lighter than they had been in years past .Dont know if the biologists ever figured out why there was a such a drop in weights of tagged bears.
Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bow » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:46 pm

the dvd is all most a hour long has over 40 bears in it. If you would like one send check for 20$ to me John P. Green at 148 studio road Warren NH 03279 ill send it out the next day priority mail.this dvd was filmed by me and my boy bow. i would like to hear how you all like and dont like so i will no what to do next time to make it better.we will have better editing softwere next time. thank you

Return to “Bear Hunting”