Garmin Astro Burned up by VHF Marine Radio

Talk about Bear Hunting
Big Bad Blue Dog

Garmin Astro Burned up by VHF Marine Radio

Postby Big Bad Blue Dog » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:03 am

A few of us hunters have had trouble with the astro receivers loosing reception and not picking up the dogs unless they are very close to you. I heard some hunters say that it was the marine radios we use that are burning them out. I called Garmin and they said indeed that was what was happening. They said to be at least 5 feet from the radios antenna or don't have the garmin on while you are using your radio. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem? I hope they can get this fixed because i like my garmin but its going to be hard to keep the garmin off while in a hot bear race when your wanting to know where your dogs is headed and going to cross. Let me know if anyone has heard if they have any more information on this.
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Garmin Astro Burned up by VHF Marine Radio

Postby Liz ODell » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Yep its true. They will also burn up your tracking box, especially the digital ones, the instructions that came with my Magnum box even said to unplug the antenne before talking on the radio...I don't always get that done but I make sure its off before I use the radio. Radios will also cut down the range on your shock collars if you are near the radio, if you push the button and listen you can hear your transmitter on your radio.
shortrun

Postby shortrun » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:25 am

do the radios permanently damage the garmin or just the signal while your trying to track . also are you talking about all VHF MARINE RADIOS. just bought a garmin and don't want to ruin it.
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:21 pm

I'm not an electronics wiz but with the tracking boxes it will fry the 'brain' and they will no longer be useable (oh, yes I am talking marine radios). I am not sure about the Garmin system but from what I have heard it sounds like the same problem...you will kill your machine.
J HUNT
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby J HUNT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:58 pm

The first time I took my Garmin Bear Hunting it completely quit picking up the dogs. I called them and sent it back, they replaced the system. When I asked about using it around our Ham radios they said it would not affect the Garmin unless the radios had a lot of extra watts, mine pushes 65, but mine still blew up.

Just lucky mine is still under warranty.
HOME OF DUAL GRCH HUNT'S RIDEGTOP RUBY
Big Bad Blue Dog

Postby Big Bad Blue Dog » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 am

Yes the VHF marine radios output is burning the garmin out. It don't have to be a high wattage because mine is just the standard 25 watts. The Garmin is a great tool when it is working, but i afraid their is so many bugs in the system that it is going be a lot of trouble. I don't like having turn my garmin off to talk on the radio because is next to impossible to do. They are several more issues with the collars too. I have one out of four that the battery and signal is much weaker than the others, and the collars are hard to get to take charge. I have to mess with the charger wire that connects to the collar to get the blue light on. Like i said they are the best thing that has ever hit the hound market but i think they put them on sale way to soon before they got the bugs out. This will be the future of dog tracking no doubt, it will help if some companies will make them and this will put pressure on each other to get the better system out there. I don't think it will be garmin.
John Weston
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby John Weston » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:48 pm

How do you use a Astro in your BOAT??????????????? I think you should buy a new RADIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND STOP BITCHING. The Astro works great and should not be used in your boat and your radio should be.
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey john weston did you ever think that some of us might actually have a buisness license to use a vhf 2 meter radio? Some of us are actually trying to figure out a solution to this problem!!!!!!!!!!!!! By the way some of the vhf 2 meter radios(icom,yaseu,and others) also pick up all the marine band channels. Im sure they were not using them on a boat while hunting. This is a good thread about this problem hopefully we can get a solution.
''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''

-- John Wayne
Lil Joes BigGame hounds
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lil Joes BigGame hounds » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:56 pm

Wow John Weston way to make a complete ASS of your self. We use marine radios here and there isnt a good lake with in 100 miles. Sit back and let the grown ups talk.
Joe Troyer Socorro, N.M.
575-707-3727

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.

--H. G. Rickove
BlacktailStalker
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby BlacktailStalker » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:20 pm

Yep this is an issue for which there is no fix. Its the vhf or the garmin on, one at a time.
Its the transmiting that frys your garmin, not recieving. Keep your talking short and sweet or turn off the garmin when you do.
John Weston
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby John Weston » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:32 am

I'm sure that when garmin made the astro and used VHF they didn't think that you would be using BOAT radio's.I think you guys are the one's making an ass of your self you should of looked into the astro before buying it. It says right on thier site that they use VHF.
Jason Waterhouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jason Waterhouse » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:51 pm

Im not using a boat radio,Im using a 2 meter vhf radio. (icom 2200 h) Anybody using a uhf radio out there??? Are the uhf radio's burning up the garmin astro's??? or is it just the vhf Radios
''Life's tough, pilgrim, and it’s even tougher if you're stupid.''

-- John Wayne
John Weston
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby John Weston » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:17 pm

You should look at Plott World there is a thread that will help some of your problems with your Astro and VHF radio's.
Big Bad Blue Dog

Postby Big Bad Blue Dog » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:17 pm

I don't need to look at plott world to find a answer because if it's anything like the plots around here they are running way behind the black and whites and i am sure that site is way behind just like the whole shity breed of plotts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:04 pm

BBBD and John Weston, both of you are out of line here, this is not about a particular breed of dogs or what frequency you are on. This is about a warning for something that can affect us all. Drop the BS, and I will not reply to any answers! This is what ruins these forums! :agmnt

Return to “Bear Hunting”