Training Not Translating to Field

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Training Not Translating to Field

Postby Walkerdirt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 pm

I’m back again for advice. I’ve been training my walker dog who’s about a year and a half old. With my deer tag filled it’s time to start getting cats in trees. I’ve been using a bobcat paw soaked in the DU mountain lion trailing scent to do drags. He wonders a bit but definitely finds it in the trees every time so I was feeling pretty confident that he could tree a bobcat or a lion.
I went out early today and turned up two lion tracks. One was old but the other looked like I just jumped it off the road because of the moisture in the dirt and because it was over truck tracks from that morning. I turned my dog loose and was expecting fireworks. He trailed it for while but never really got excited and he kept coming back to me. Needless to say I was disappointed after all the training I’ve put into him.

I came home scratching my head so I decided to do a drag like I always do. I kept him leashed to get him lined out which I didn’t do in the field and once he started to pull I cut him loose. He wondered on the scent for a while but made his way to the tree and went crazy like he always does.

I have a few questions now. Is my scent not good? Ive heard grawes is the scent to use but I can’t find it anywhere? Should I start young dog on leash to help him get lined out? Is the bobcat paw for training not a good idea? What else can I do to train my pup aside from using a house cat? Ha

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Training Not Translating to Field

Postby Walkerdirt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 pm

https://www.gundogsupply.com/mountain-l ... dJEALw_wcB

This is what I’ve been using.
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 pm

Don't know anything about drags because I have never used one. But I have read on here many times guy say that those bobcat and lion scents in a bottle are nothing like the real cats smell.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:56 pm

That’s what I’ve heard too that’s why I’ve been using the paw I happened across this summer in combination with the scent.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:32 pm

There really isn't a thing a person can do to re-creat the real thing. Making a drag of any sort is great for a young pup just to encourage them to use their nose. But a pup the age of yours is either going to have to learn on his own. You can walk tracks out in the snow and keep him going on the animal. Or the easiest thing is to run him with dogs that already know what they are doing and he will learn from them
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 am

If your not wanting another dog and if you understand where lions tend to move in your country, just head out and start putting in a lot of miles in on foot or horse back. Just keep pounding the country side. If your lucky, sooner or later you might run right into one. If he puts it up a tree, pet on him and praise him up. Then jump that cat out and let him run it again. Just be careful jumping a lion out too many times in a row
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:50 am

I wouldn’t mind another dog but I’m not a fan of the price tag associated with a finished dog. If only I could find a trainer rental? I’m definitely going to keep after it.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 am

Thanks for the help. It’s very much appreciated.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:59 am

Like what was stated previously drags don't do your dog any good. If you're going to do anything with scent look up Mike Leonard's cat dog training on this forum. Instead of doing a drag you actually Place scent like an actual cat walks no animal actually drags their body on the ground. If you're trying to do it yourself with just your one dog you're going to have to find Fresh Tracks walk along those tracks with the dog on leash as he shows interest praise him but don't turn him loose until you can't hardly hold him back on the leash. The first few he may not finish but stay patient and persistent and eventually he will figure it out. One thing to keep in mind is when he returns to you ignore him do not give him any praise do not pet him you want him to realize his job is to Trail not to come check in on you. When he finally figures it out and he trees his own lion or Bobcat make sure you praise the heck out of him.
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:18 am

That makes sense. I’ll have to wait for the next big rain so I can stay on tracks long enough to get him going. It’s a process but I’m looking forward to putting it all together. Dog still runs coyotes tough and seems like once he figures it he’ll be a hard charging dog. I’ll check out Mikes school and see what he has going on too.
tman308
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby tman308 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:39 am

Here's the link to the article.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4167#p31011
Tman308

Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, Have Fun, and take your kids with you!
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JustinKeller » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:02 pm

I believe with some dogs there is at least some intimidation factor. First from being alone, then from catching sight of a mad cat 2 or 3 times their size. As the dog ages and matures they become more confident. Keep stomping around the woods.
It will cost you more in gas and time this way than buying a good hound. You can always resale the dog when your pup is rolling. Lots of guys will let you tag along, especially if you all look for tracks together, I made some new friends this way.
Good luck. Its a long road to your first finished hound, but its a lot of fun
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:53 pm

Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Walkerdirt » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:58 pm

Well I think my pups got into with a cat last weekend but I wasn't able to confirm because they went down some terrain that was too much for us and we had to hustle around the mountain to get to them. It was foggy and my GPS kept cutting out so I was wanting them back. I got to about 400 yards and started calling them back which I regret. My walker pup came back with 4 claw marks straight across his face. Bitter sweet but I guess it was a step in the right direction. Lots of lessons learned on that one.

Return to “Lion Huntingâ€