stan meacham hounds

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
liontrack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

stan meacham hounds

Postby liontrack » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:08 pm

does anyone know anything about stan meacham or his hounds. heard he had a good string of dry ground lion dogs. interested in learning more. thanks
Brady Davis
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: stan meacham hounds

Postby Brady Davis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Some of the best
AZDOGMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby AZDOGMAN » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:44 am

I have owned 2 of them and they were cold trailing lion catching dogs. Both were top notch dirt dogs.
liontracker
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby liontracker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 am

There are some recent pics of them on here some where.
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hunt14 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:48 am

You will go a long ways to find a nicer guy than Stan. I think very highly of him and have a tremendous amount of respect for ol Stan. He is one of the few men that I can trust to buy a dog from. I know if Stan tells me that I will like a dog then I will surely like that dog. He is a straight shooter, nice as they come and has over 50 years of experience chasing lions. He is over 70 now so he has kind of left the breeding to his boys Clint and Mclain who he taught very well. Both Clint and Mclain work on the lion study here in utah and their dogs get hunted.

I have spent a good bit of time talking to Stan about his dogs and although I cant remember everything he told me I remember him mentioning some dogs that have been crossed into his dogs from men like Smith, Hendrix, Shelley, Emett, Tant, and Butler to name a few. My favorite crosses since I have known Stans dogs are from the Hank X Billy cross and Stans old majestic female crossed onto the Allen or Emett dogs. Clint has a super nice dog named Ike who is throwing some exceptional pups crossed onto the right female. I have a good friend that cant talk about anything else but his Ike pups. He says they are cold trailing, tough dogs. If you are interested in Stans dogs there is no better person to learn from than Stan himself. It would be well worth your time to give him a call.

Reagan
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:52 am

:D wow naming a hound IKE is taking a chance!!
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hunt14 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:05 am

Lol! yip I think Clints next best dog is named Braveheart. They are nice ones let me tell ya :wink:
liontrack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby liontrack » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:11 pm

thanks guys. appriciate the info
treed
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby treed » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:22 am

I could not help but reply to this post...I met Stan and Mclain about 16 years ago...You will go a long long ways before you will meet finer people...Stan is the real deal folks...My wife and kids adore him and his wife Nellie...If you ever have the privilege to get a dog from him,count yourself lucky....If you ask him about a dog, you will get the good and bad right up front....The best dog I ever owned,I bought from him...iHe has forgotten more about lion hunting than I will ever learn....Stan,Mclain and Clint breed the best to the best.If it is a cull,it makes a one way trip to the farm period....These guys hunt more in a year than some will hunt their whole life as a houndsman.You would never know it...No brag....Stan and his two boys live down the street from each other...All they do is hunt...99 % of it is on horseback...The last time I hunted with Stan, he didnt use tracking collars..Dont know for sure if he ever has...He just does it the old fashion way....Go back in the area the next day and hunt...The dog should come in if he was lost....Stan is not afraid of mixing his blood with anyone else that has good dogs.....Smoke Emmitt ,Bert Emmitt,Wiley Caroll ,Jack Butler..are some of the names I remember him saying....Stan has a painting on his wall of 3 dogs he started out with about 50 yeras ago...You can go down to his farm where he keeps his dogs and see dogs that look like the ones in the painting...He breeds pretty tight...Since 95 I have been running Mecham blood in my line of dogs....The 2 pups I have for sale on this forum are Grand daughters of that Ike dog of Clints...

With all this talking , I realize I need to get back up there and hunt with him....Good luck to you...Coop

Return to “Lion Hunting”