Buying Jeff Allen finished hound.

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Dillon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Buying Jeff Allen finished hound.

Postby Dillon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 am

Hi everyone,I have bought my first hounds ever from Jeff Allen.I'm just curious if anyone else on here has bought finoshed dogs from Jeff,and how did they turn out.I am going to kanab next weekend from Nevada to get them.I have heard great things about Jeffs honesty when selling hounds.
festus
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Buying Jeff Allen finished hound.

Postby festus » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:06 am

Jeff is a strait up guy and I am proud to call him a friend. You won't meet a nicer more honest guy, his dogs are the real deal they will catch game in tough conditions for sure.
Dillon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dillon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:01 am

Well thanks,it's nice to hear that especially coming from someone that is a friend to Jeff.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:45 pm

I have bought finished dogs from Jeff as well as started and everyone of them have been excactly as he explained them.

He is a great guy, a real hunter and hound man.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Dillon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dillon » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:55 pm

thanks mike,im excited to go get them next friday.
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:10 pm

I must be the only one that hasn't had any luck with Jeffs dogs. My buddy got a female from him three years ago. She was pregnant and had 5 pups. The female is by far the coldest nosed dog I've ever seen. However, she has never caught a lion. She's just too slow. Puts her head in every track no matter how hot or cold it is. I can out walk her on a track. Only one of her pups has done anything. Got rid of the last one I had last month. Three years old should be enough time to show something. My buddy still has one of the pups and is determined to make a dog out of him.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Dean,

did Jeff sell this dog as a lion catching dog or started or what was the deal. Jeff himself has no tolerance for a slow track dog especially if other dogs can get up and run with the track. He has some of the fastest dogs on a bad track I haver seen and his Nace Strain Walkers I have seen are extremely fast.

I think if I was your buddy I would have taken the dog back and Jeff most likley would offer a replacement that suited him better. As far as the pups go I would say your friend has more patiece than I do. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Not sure what the deal was. He still has the female and one pup. This is probably one of those that proves not all crosses work as well as the parents are.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
GETTERDONE
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GETTERDONE » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 am

How do you ge a hold of Jeff ?Im looking for a cold nose dog.
IF YOU AINT FIRST YOUR LAST!
Dillon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dillon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:34 am

I just went to his web site. Allensoutfitters and found his contact info.
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby blackpaws » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:09 pm

dean,

he needs to run her on bear for a season somewhere if possible. she will learn to pick her head up and move. i have one here from jeff that was the exact same way and is by far the coldest i have had. she has her faults but she is cold nosed and jumps bear for me. i have 4 allen bred dogs here and i like all of them so far. 1 is a pup but is running my house cat all over. no doubt will make a dog. my female that i have was that track straddler on a bear for about the first month of training season then the others were passing here. she learned to move out quicker and pick up the pace. i have another female coming from jeff as we speak and can't wait to hunt her. all of the dogs from him have been exactly what he said they were.
outlaw13
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby outlaw13 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:06 am

If you need someone to put that dog through a bear season i would do it just to see how it worked out.
If you're not offending idiots, you might be an idiot.- Ted Nugent

Go Big or Go Home!!!

Clint Berg
Longears

Postby Longears » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Dillon-

I just purchased his female Kim dog and have had her for almost 2 weeks now. I had very specific requests to ask of Jeff and he matched that dog to me and my family perfectly. I stressed to him how important it was to us that the dog fit into our family life as much as get it done in the woods. I wanted a dog with personality outside of the hunt. I'll tell you right now that this dog is a complete lap dog, wants nothing but to be all over me and my 7 year old daughter while at home yet is an absolute machine on trail. I was a bit worried she was too affectionate until I put her on her first track with me!!! She handles like a friggen border collie too...

He had a number of other dogs that I considered but Kim was the match for me and my family. She's got a date with his Pepper dog sometime next year....

FYI

Best of luck-

PS- If you want to see some well mannered dogs, go visit with him at his place...
Dillon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Dillon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:34 am

Sounds like a darn good dog.I got back last night from kanab,went to Jeffs and bought two finished dogs and two started dogs.so far they are very freindly dogs.for them being in a different environment,I'm very happy so far.i guess I will see what happens when I put them on a track.

Dillon

Return to “Lion Hunting”