hunting off kills

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
bootheelhounds
Facebook ID: 0

hunting off kills

Postby bootheelhounds » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:46 pm

i need some advice. I have some young dogs that seem like they have a lot of potential. I found a kill the other day it was a few days old and the cat didn't cover it back up. if i happen to find another kill what is the best way to get young dogs lined out on a track?
Glen
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002648123240

Re: hunting off kills

Postby Glen » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:13 pm

I would really take my time and thorougly work a spiral out of the kill until I found the final exit track or the cat laid up.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 pm

I know on bare ground like you most likely hunt at times finding the exit track is nearly impossible and then you have to rely on the nose of the dog. that being said remember on bare ground a hound is likely to take the back end on a lion track 50% of the time. If the cat has been there very recently this may not be much of a problem because the hound may be able to move out on airborne scent and quickly determine the direction the lion left the kill.

Fellas that hunt in snow country can at times have a heck of a time finding the freshest track leaving especially if the kill has been there a few days and the lion has visited it a number of times. Many times a lion will lay up pretty close and every so often just get up and go check the kill and not even eat just to make sure nobody is messing with him. This leads to many track and as Glen said you best bet would be leave the dogs in the box and walk that ever increasing circle till you think you have the right exit track.

On the dirt especially when it ia hard to see a track start with your best start dog on a leash and start making a circle around that kill and watch that dog when he really goes to flagging and gets birdie go with him but don't let him go yet he will lead you along hopefully to a place where you can see an actual track and determine if you are going the right way. then mark that spot and continue your circle and if you are convinced that is the best place to start them take him back and go with it. doesn't alwasy work but then what does?
If you have some pretty experienced dogs and are hunting them free cast on foot or of a saddle animal or quad if you can get ahold of most of the dogs and let old number one work on it a bit.

Most of the time these smart old strike dogs won't hardly even look at a kill they know when it's a lion and they go to casting and looking. My old late Gunner dog would just hit another gear and make a big circle around the kill maybe 100 yards and his head would be way up and he was running on the wind. If it was pretty fresh when he ducked and left you better get over there and check that track usually when ity was that fresh he was seldom wrong and if he didn't hit on the wind he would go back to the ground and you would just follow the steps I outlined before.

Kills can be quick and easy or the can be a pain in the rear at times with a lot of confusion and frustration. Usually you will beat yourself up over it if you don't catch it but if you don't the reasons are often you get a bad start, go the wrong way or most of all the cat has not been back in a long while and as you said on the kill that was not covered that generally means he isn't coming back it was fast food.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
houndcrzy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby houndcrzy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 pm

The fascination of hunting cougar with hounds lies in the discovery and unravelling of a complicated trail, watching an honest hound strike out on a track that has been found and read, and finally bringing the animal to bay so that you can see it for yourself---Jerry A. Lewis
slowandeasy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby slowandeasy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:09 pm

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm

bootheelhounds,

Down in your country you might be able to dust out the track around the kill and if you can sweep the dirt 9feet around the kill in a full circle and take two dogs and let them line it out where you think the lion is leaving from...... Or get there really early and take 3-4 dogs and let them work out their own track from the kill and youll usually have it treed fairly quickly.

Return to “Lion Hunting”