Never done want to try

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
biggamehunter21
Facebook ID: 0

Never done want to try

Postby biggamehunter21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 pm

something I have never did is go lion hunting and I want to try. So I was wondering if I could get some input on what is the best state to go lion hunting in and where abouts in that state.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Never done want to try

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:53 pm

The hunting of the mountain lion takes on various forms and this should be considered before you decide on the state and region you wish to hunt.
Most contemporary cougar hunting takes place in areas that recieve considerable snow fall and have sufficient prey population to support huntable numbers of cougars. thus many of todays hunts are undertook using 4 wheel drive vehicles, ATV or even snowmobiles where permitted. The lion's share(pardon the pun) of lions taken today are harvested by this means.

A smaller contigent of traditionalist continue to hunt lions in more arid and even desert type areas utilizing either horses or mules as a means of transportation into these regions and they rely on the nose of their trained strike and also the eyer of the hunter to find lion spoor where the trailing will begin.

Both methods offer many thrills and much excitement once the track is found and hunters and sportsmen coming from areas where lion hunting is not avaiaible should consider trying both methods over time should they be able to arrange it.

Good luck and happy hunting.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
biggamehunter21

Postby biggamehunter21 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:05 pm

I planned on using hounds. Is there any states you can buy a tag over the counter.
borntohunt
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby borntohunt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 pm

Arizona
1bigbear
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000274214096

Postby 1bigbear » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:05 pm

Colorado
fish

Postby fish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Wyoming
Hounder-
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Hounder- » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 am

As far as I know most Western states allow you to buy a tag over the counter. Lot different than 12 years for a bobcat tag in Wisconsin :lol:

Biggest thing to note though is you will make A LOT of enemies real fast if you go out to a state and take a small female/female with young. Not to mention the ethics behind it.

I'm no expert (only been out west once, 10 years ago), just going off information I've heard/gathered off the site.
GETTERDONE
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GETTERDONE » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 am

Its hard to say what state is best, I would consider hunting pressure, amount of guide operations in the area, typical trophy quality. most lion hunts are at least $3500 up to $10000. I know just what I have seen from local guides here in Nevada that they rather have clients fill tags and may inflate the cat actual size. if you chose to go with a guide I would do your home work and find one who operates in a trophy area and has a long history of taking quality cats. I think if I was going to do a guided hunt I would want to go horse back insted of riding in a truck all day.
IF YOU AINT FIRST YOUR LAST!

Return to “Lion Hunting”