Gascons

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
donf
Facebook ID: 0

Gascons

Postby donf » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:47 am

Can anybody give me any info about this tim guy in Colorado with gascon hounds . I'm looking to hear from guys that have bought these dogs and hunted them . do they hunt , do they have descent noses ? Basically are they worth owning ?
Plowdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Gascons

Postby Plowdog » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:20 am

Tim who? I may know who you are talking about.Where in colorado
donf

Postby donf » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Don't know his full name . There was a bunch of pictures on this site from 2010 . But I was more interested in hearing from guys that had used these dogs rather than getting the sales pitch . Liontracker is what he goes by I think .
bchoundman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1296843432

Postby bchoundman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:37 pm

Come on people let's here story's or see pics of theses great French cross hounds treeing cougars.
daveweaver

Postby daveweaver » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:06 am

I cannot speak for the lion hunting, but there are several of us that coon hunt with them. Cold nose, bawl mouth is the reason we hunt them. Do an internet search on Bob Mattscheck or Silver Mist kennels, Bob has spent his lifetime pursuing and catching lion with the big blues.
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Big N' Blue
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Big N' Blue » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:17 pm

LOL Thanks a lot Don.

All I am going to say is if you like hounds that look, act and have cold noses that can move a track like a hound should with big bawl mouths with good conformation and disposition, you will like the GGS crosses. If that is not your cup of tea, then you will not like them. If the people that own some of them would like to chime in, Chime in, if not don't.
donf, yes they are worth owning. Check your pm.
Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bow » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm

THE ONE I HAD WAS A TRACKING TREEING HOUND. BUT HE HAD NO FIGHT IN HIM WITH A BEAR ON THE GROUND
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:27 am

Now that we are on the subject, what do the guys that have american gascons think of them? Im not interested in the imports, just big old style blueticks...thanks
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:46 pm

I think that distinction should be made. Gascons is a term that in America has been used to describe bluetick type hounds of and different style. Not so much are they all together what old style blueticks are about because back in the day bluetick was only a color and there were many light medium and heavy built dogs. The American blue Gascon is a distinct strain that has been breed by many dedicated breeders who favor the heavier hound type dog. Many on the forum have a great deal of history with these dogs not to mention Big and Blue himself who campaigned dogs of this type for years.

The French hounds earlier discussed here are what O. O. Grant called the Saintonge hounds of France. Yes some very lovely full bred Saintonge hounds have made it to the US via Africa. these have been in a expereimental breeding program with numerous strains of hounds that already excisted in the US. although my personal expereince with these has been limited I have spoken with others who are truely excited about what the influence this blood has added to big game packs. A good many more of these crosses are being used than are really being talked about. Reason? I am not sure but I think as time goes on we will no doubt see more of their influence showing up again ( yes again) in big game hound packs.

When I see a large hound with a good deal of predominant white, longer head, and most of all speckled or spotted ears on on or both sides I perk up. these are distinct traits of the Saintonge and Saintonge cross hounds.

If you will study old hunting photographs of many of the more famed big game hound hunters of years gone by you will see hounds duplicating these traits and you can rest assured that French hounds showed up in America long before these recent imports.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
African
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby African » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:56 pm

Bow
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bow » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:17 pm

THE ONE I HAD CAME FROM TIM. HE WAS VERY VERY SMART HOUND. EASY TRAINING
donf

Postby donf » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:08 am

Thanks for all the info . Greatly appreciated
ship2442

Postby ship2442 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I have a gascon that I got from a gentleman in Colorado and she is very smart. I believe the guys name was willy ford?? My gascon is very very mouthy( always barking) but she is very athletic very smart and fast as any dog I have ever been around. She also is very stubborn .... hard to trash break and she will not keep quite in the kennel or box. I am very happy with her overall though . also if anyone knows how to contact willy ford I would love to have his info I have questions about her breadings and paper. No bad reviews from here!
bchoundman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 1296843432

Postby bchoundman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:34 pm

Okay let's try a little harder does anyone have a pick of any French cross treeing. Not pics of people with cats on there shoulders or cats on a side by side with a dog in front of it. I don't care if there treeing a (beep) Squirel a pic of one of these dogs with his head up treeing.

Return to “Lion Hunting”