Need advice on a walker

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Pinkertonhounds
Facebook ID: 0

Need advice on a walker

Postby Pinkertonhounds » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:01 pm

I have a 14 month walker and my problem is this. I can lay a scent with a drag put it on a tree out of reach. He will find the drag in the tree 75% of the time but I cant get him to follow the scent for more than 15ft. He will tree the drag if he sees it or if I help him out. I am very new to hounds so any and all advice is welcomed. I have tried putting treats out on the scent trail but he will grab one or two and then he is gone. Thanks in advance.
Semper Fi
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Need advice on a walker

Postby Jeff Eberle » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:07 pm

All your teaching your dog to do is run a track backwards, Think about it. Your starting at point A with the most scent and ending at point B with week scent, And wanting him to tree, I'm not a fan of drags. At 14mos old he needs to be hunted, Take him to the woods.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Pinkertonhounds

Postby Pinkertonhounds » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Good point I never really thought about it like that. I only got him a couple months ago is why I trying to train him that way. Like I said I am new with this. I can take him out the front door to the woods and try and chase cats but whats going to keep him from chasing trash? I just don't want to create a bad habit.
Semper Fi
hvfd21walker
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hvfd21walker » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:52 pm

Where are you located at in MT pinkertonhounds?
Grizzhound12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Grizzhound12 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 am

I've never used a drag but I like what jeff said. Take him out and let him run whatever he wants for awhile and let him get all that fast game out of his blood then start to narrow him down to what you want. That's what I've done.
(Work sucks lets go hunting)

Return to “Lion Hunting”