Colorado Lion Hunters

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Plowdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby Plowdog » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:14 pm

Hound hunters please remember we are still being looked at closely in this state for the over harvest of females. For those of us that love the sport of running dogs and not just trying to make a buck, please release the females. We have been asked multiple times to lower female harvest. It is not worth loosing this sport for doing something that we ALL have control over. Hopefully the outfitters realize the take of females is just being selfish and puts this sport in jeopardy. Dead lions dont make tracks and you dont accomplish anything by killing females. If you need money that bad consider finding another way to supplement your income.
ticks&walkers

Re: Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby ticks&walkers » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:53 am

Also a Colorado hounds man. Very, very, very, very well said
colobbcat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby colobbcat » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:00 pm

very enlightening info here. All lion hunters in CO should read this. I am interested as to others take on this information.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commis ... %20harvest

Neil Call
Double C Outfitters
970-326-7891
Matt_Potter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1354055102

Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby Matt_Potter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:34 am

Why kill any females???

Dead cats leave no tracks - let them lay to play another day.
Plowdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Plowdog » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:30 am

I agree. I attended a meeting last year at the end of the season about female harvests . There were multiple outfitters there and I asked why they were killing females and no one would answer me. I am sick of these guys just worried about money . Me and the buddies that hunt together do it because of the dogs. I have owned dogs for over 15 years and have only 2 lions and they were 13 years apart . These guys killing females cant tell me they love the sport because they are the ones that will ruin it for all of us . If you outfitters truly love the sport QUIT KILLING FEMALES. Work a little harder and find a tom track. Before long we will be like California and looking for someone that wants to buy dogs.
richardlbury
Facebook ID: 100000054171125

Postby richardlbury » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:41 am

Maybe these Utah hunters need to learn from u guys in Colorado . All these outfitters kill females 90 pounds they know who they are
richardlbury
Facebook ID: 100000054171125

Postby richardlbury » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:55 am

Not to kill females outfitters in Utah must broke they kill everything they tree
Grizzhound12
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Grizzhound12 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:20 pm

Why kill any, if you want tracks to follow then let all go. It's not that we are killing to many females, the division says stuff like that just to make the anti's happy and other people say that because they think it makes them cool. Let people kill what they want and let go what they want. If you want a healthy group of lions female need to be killed as well to get the old out and then young healthy in.
(Work sucks lets go hunting)
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Ok, COLORADO SAVE ALL FEMALES HOUNDSMEN! THAT AINT RIGHT! I am not a outfitter but I have worked for one in my early years. We took females and toms and we always had abundance of lions for the next year to harvest. The quotes were bigger then. Just because you guys think a female is not a trophy there are many people that would . They dream of it everyday! Some can't get around the mountains that good and will never get a chance at killing another. Outfitting is a hard job and I think that most these guys want to kill toms only but it aint a perfect world. Colorado has great lion hunting . In the units I hunt I have seen a lot of female sign again this year. I run 1000 head of sheep and goats on a big ranch in southern Colorado and there is no shortage of lions . They are killing a lot of deer also. Lions are far from endangered and I do understand the DOW peta thing. Hey.. I love hound hunting and don't want it to go away but come on there are two sides to everything .
super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:45 pm

I do believe there is a time and place for taking females but because a guy is not from here and dreams about it everyday is not one of them, and because outfitting is a hard job is not one of them. if there is a lion coming in to your sheep or into your goats by all means protect what is yours but just because somebody cant get around the woods very well and ya might never get another chance is not a reason to take one. sorry just my input.
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:51 am

Females are why Toms are in the area. There is no reason you have to let clients shoot females. I guided for years and only let one client shoot a female. Only because we were out hunting that day and the warden called me to help him out to catch a lion that had been killing goats. It happened to be a female and the guy didn't mind shooting it.
I've shot a total of four females over my dogs in 36 years of running them. The other three were also depredation type deals. I was 100% on Toms with every other guy that ever went with me. You just have to work a bit harder. Dead females don't produce more lions for you. There is a healthy population of cats here in CO. So it doesn't make much sense to kill a female if you have a pretty good chance of finding a Tom to catch.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
Plowdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Plowdog » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:16 pm

Well all i can say is we keep killing females the sport of lion hunting in Colorado will be short lived. I have guided biggame hunters (including lions) for 20 plus years and the only reasons outfitters are killing females is for the money. Open your eyes ladies and gentlemen. We have been asked to limit females so if you love hound hunting quit killing them.
Matt_Potter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 1354055102

Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby Matt_Potter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:53 pm

super white hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby super white hunter » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Fullcry, those are impressive numbers well done
"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty". Thomas Jefferson
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:54 am

We need to watch are female take I get it . But let me tell you what I see on private ranches. First these ranches income are deer and elk hunting and 2nd is livestock. We are not talking a 100 acres but 1000s. And most support many family's . These are well managed and don't like being over run with, predators . Two of these ranches have many lions on them year round . They have to harvest at least 3 females a year just to keep them in check. This is done by outfitters and its been done like this for years and it works. There are many ranches all over the state that do the same thing. We got to keep a happy balance and not just go crazy either way! For the record I let go all my females last season!

Return to “Lion Hunting”