A question for the lion hunters

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Boom

A question for the lion hunters

Postby Boom » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 pm

If you were to take a real good southern dry/bare ground lion dog or two, that are the real deal and can get it done down there and bring them up north where theres either snow or moist conditions,
could those same dogs get it done in a different enviroment?
Ive been told its not very likely, which i can understand to a degree. however, would the same go if you were to take some pups out of a top line of dogs that have all the "right" traits to make a top lion dog, and raise them in the different environment?

Now i know this would also depend on how they are raised and so on, so for argument sake lets say they get all the proper exposure and training at the right time and the only thing left is whether or not they have it in them, would it matter where they are raised?

Ive always been curious about this, just wondering what everyone elses thoughts on this are, i know theres a lot of experience on this site so im looking forward to reading what you all have to say. thanks, Boom
houndogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: A question for the lion hunters

Postby houndogger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:10 am

No experience with buying older dogs but pups yes. Dirty cold nosed dogs. Haven't seen any better here yet.
If your going to find tracks you better make tracks!
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:11 am

Each older dog will be different. Some guy's are going to tell you No, because they tried it once and it didn't work but who knows if they tried again it might have. I brought two dog's from West Virginia to Washington state.I hunted both dog's in West Virginia for about 6 months maybe longer both were fine dogs One was a Blue tick one was a Blue tick Walker cross. Both dog's could move a Bobcat and grey fox one was faster then the other. When I brought the two dog's to the West Coast The Blue tick slowed down huge never got used to the thick coastal brush and the steep mountains, While the other didn't take no time to adapt maybe four trips to the woods and she was better then ever. So Two dog's two different results the Blue tick is now in Southern Ore, where it's a little more open woods and she is doing great. As for pup's it doesn't matter where on earth you get them as long as there raised in what your hunting there is no issue's. A pup doesn't know if it was born in Mexico or Maine it will work out where ever it is raised giving its a good pup. Just my thought's and experience.
funstuff
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby funstuff » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:19 pm

Merlo sums it up quite well.

For the most part a good dog is a good dog. Bird dog hunters take there dogs all over the US each fall, so why not a hound.

If the dog HAS it, it has it.

Give it the exposure, and you should have no worries.
Boom

Postby Boom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks for the replies, that's what I was thinking aswell. Just kept on hearing about the ones that didn't turn out I guess.
Less and less snow each year here, almost the entire season will be run on bare ground. Got me to thinking about upgrading the pack
houndogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndogger » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18 am

The new kids on the block are using cell cam's and saying their getting cats up in the dirt. Lol
Last edited by houndogger on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
If your going to find tracks you better make tracks!
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:13 am

Dont forget about the big dogs that are paying big money for the live google earth app and running tracks off it.
Boom

Postby Boom » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm

I guess those cell cams would take all the guess work out of aging a track! Lol
jube baker
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby jube baker » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Some dogs hunted in the dirt wont do well in the snow. Iv seen it and had a dog that hunted in the dirt but try her in the snow with other dogs no way she would end up where we started the track. But put her in the dirt she would get it done. just what I've seen.

Return to “Lion Hunting”