cougar,bobcat scent alike?

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
PBGSO
Facebook ID: 0

Postby PBGSO » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:02 am

I take close to that many bobcat as well per year in Texas a big majority of them I call, but thats not saying you couldn't do it with dogs. South Texas is unreal I love it. In the past 10 years I have hunted many of the same ranches and I don't think I even put a dent in their numbers. You don't have too many slow days calling or running the dogs down south. I wish it was the same lion hunting, I put in a lot more empty days chasing those long tails than anything else I hunt.
Clay Pope
Bearkiller
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Bearkiller » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:03 pm

Hey Gary, not only have I been there. I lived there. Not towards Laredo but I lived in Corpus and work in laredo a bunch. I understand what you're saying with the game. I never bobcat hunted because I didn't have the land to do it. I did see them however. Thats still alot of cats. My lease was in realitos and was only 1400 acres. Long and skinny and was only good for coon, deer and hogs.
youngdawg
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby youngdawg » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:11 am

bearcat
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearcat » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:32 pm

I agree most dogs that will run one will run the other, but they don't smell the same. My dad had a dog(his main cat dog) that was a great bobcat hound but wouldn't run a lion with a whole pack of dogs she had hunted with her whole life. Everytime he got after a lion she would just stand in hte road and act like the rest of the dogs were running trash. I have never owned a dog that will run one and not the other but some dogs like one more than the other and I can usually tell what they are after when I haven't seen a track just by the way the act. Also they can tell the difference between a housecat and either a bobcat or cougar. I train all my dogs to ignore housecats just in case I was to loose one and have it come in to someones house. Your dogs stretching their cat on the back porch usually doesn't leave a good impression :lol:

Return to “Lion Hunting”