Attention Colorado Lion Hunters

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
jmkbluedog
Facebook ID: 0

Attention Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby jmkbluedog » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:49 am

A petition has been started by Houndsman to initiate a female sub quota. The Game and Fish is not currently managing our lions the way they should be. The Anti's are coming for us and if we can get ahead of them and make these changes now it will take a lot of steam out of their arguments. As well as insure healthy lion populations for all of us. We are requesting a 20% female sub quota in all units as well as a pursuit only season to compensate houndsman for units that close early due to female harvest. Please sign and pass this info on if you want to continue to have lions and lion hunting in the future.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/moun ... n-colorado
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Attention Colorado Lion Hunters

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:23 pm

The entire quota system is being changed. They have been working on a new quota system for a couple of years and have now put together a committee to implement it. Might be in 2016 or later in 2017. The current quota for each GMU is going away and will be replaced by much larger areas. I've heard the entire state will be divided into 4 or 5 GMUs for lions and a new quota will be given for each one. So we will no longer have some units closing so early but I haven't figured out what some downfalls might be.
Not sure how this may or may not impact your proposal for a female sub quota.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:29 am

This is just my opinion and take it for what its worth. You are already 20 years behind the antis so getting ahead of them is futile. All the sound science and logic in the world will do you no good. If this goes to a state wide ballot for a vote your main focus should be on educating voters and getting the ones that dont vote to do so! Almost every liberal tree hugger will be voting and the only way to beat them is to out vote them! As i said this is just my opinion but i have seen it more than once and all the faith in science and logic has never won.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:32 am

This is just my opinion and take it for what its worth. You are already 20 years behind the antis so getting ahead of them is futile. All the sound science and logic in the world will do you no good. If this goes to a state wide ballot for a vote your main focus should be on educating voters and getting the ones that dont vote to do so! Almost every liberal tree hugger will be voting and the only way to beat them is to out vote them! As i said this is just my opinion but i have seen it more than once and all the faith in science and logic has never won.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:33 pm

mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:01 pm

[quote] Tanner Peyton from the comments section

I hunt bobcats, so my experience is based on that. But I have found in my area that taking fewer numbers of females thus higher numbers of mature males actually increases the total over all population. Again, I can only speak of bobcats but one of the biggest reasons kittens don't make it to adult hood is because mature males will kill and eat kittens givin the chance. I support this. Not only will there be more lions producing kittens but less kittens getting killed by mature males.[quote]

Correct Tanner! Both bobcats and lions kill their young....Here is how Oregon sold what they are currently doing to lions...Sport hunters refuse to kill females when they can select trophy toms. If your criteria is about management? You must remove females. For the record? In Oregon, it's illegal for sport hunters to kill females with kittens...What changed since the ban? Oregon State Fish and Wildlife mandates to USDA Government agents with hounds...Females and kittens along with toms will be pursued randomly and all will be killed in the name of management.

Oregon sold under 600 hound cougar tags prior to the ban and maintained management objectives-Currently Oregon sells 44,000 cougar tags to boot hunters and still has an out of control cougar population. Based on this information? You can make a good case for sport hunters and hounds as a management tool....Keep that in mind as well---You all aren't houndsmen out hunting hounds, but rather a management tool for the State.

Just something to think about as you move forward for what it's worth...Good Luck!
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby FullCryHounds » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:25 pm

Mike, I've been pushing for a constitutional amendment here in CO. for 20 years. It blows my mind that there are over 30 states that have done this and Colorado isn't one of them. I've talked to everyone I can think of and no one has any interest in getting it done. Frustrating!
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
colobbcat
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby colobbcat » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:39 pm

A word of Caution on this petition...I have been told from a very reliable resource that this petition was started by the staff of Ken Logan who is in bed with HSUS. I agree that we need to manage females and i fell for this petition before i did research on it...signed it and commented. That said this petition was designed to drive a wedge between CPW and the hunters and houndsmen. HSUS are pro's at this stuff and they will do everything in their power to divide us. You may not agree with the management of the CPW but right now we need to put that aside and unite with them against the anti's in our state. The details of their management schemes can be hashed out latter or in a different setting. I know that the CPW is not for banning lion hunting in CO but HSUS is. So i will put my differences aside for now with them and help them in this fight for our lion hunting in CO. I hope to see you all at the meetings in Salida on the 22nd. There is a I and E meeting being held prior to the Ken Logan meeting. This I and E meeting is not open to the public and is for lion hunters only so we can get the facts.
If you need details on these meetings ie times and locations send me an email and i will forward you the details

Neil Call
Double C Outfitters
doublecoutfitters@outlook.com
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ol'guy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:54 pm

Don't know who manages your wildlife (VOTERS OR FISH&WILDLIFE)
what you don't want is common public voting on management of wildlife, miss in formed,lied to, plus ignorance is what "hus" counts on
I live in the east and have seen what this has done to the state of Maine cost Mainers 3,000,000+ dollars to fight to keep the right to hunt bear with hounds,bait,trap don't agree with some things but we are in this together as sportsmen&wemen
My suggestion is to get game managent in to dept of fish and wildlife out of public hands.You allready have biologists on payroll JUST A THOUGHT
leifalweapon
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby leifalweapon » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:43 pm

houndsandterriers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndsandterriers » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:06 pm

Last edited by houndsandterriers on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are new to hound hunting and new to this website take note.

Are they really hound men? I would bet no. I would also recommend researching any and all state laws where you live some have exemptions to give dog men a break, some don't. On the west coast them guys will hunt bobcat with a bull terrier then simply rush it into the nearest animal rights vet clinic to save there bacon when it gets hurt. That will get you locked up in some states.
houndsandterriers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndsandterriers » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:14 pm

Last edited by houndsandterriers on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Are they really hound men? I would bet no. I would also recommend researching any and all state laws where you live some have exemptions to give dog men a break, some don't. On the west coast them guys will hunt bobcat with a bull terrier then simply rush it into the nearest animal rights vet clinic to save there bacon when it gets hurt. That will get you locked up in some states.
houndsandterriers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndsandterriers » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Last edited by houndsandterriers on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houndsandterriers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndsandterriers » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:24 pm

Last edited by houndsandterriers on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

houndsandterriers
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndsandterriers » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm

Last edited by houndsandterriers on Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lion Hunting”