Mountain Hunting Clothing

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
blackpaws
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Mountain Hunting Clothing

Postby blackpaws » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Not sure if this is the best place to ask about this but what is some good hunting pants and jacket for hunting in the mountains or just plain walking in snow anywhere?

I still have the old "long John" mentality and throw on a pair of insulated bibs and go but i am looking at making it a little more comfortable. i am tired of being soaking wet from either sweating or the snow melting on me and soaking my pants.

Thanks
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Mountain Hunting Clothing

Postby Fireman03 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:00 pm

Sitka and kuiu are the best on the market. Kuiu is more reasonable on price and just as good of quality. Both are lightweight mountain gear based on the layering model. Kuiu hands down has the best gaiters.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:45 pm

The traditional answer might be Filson wool. There are several high quality wool products made for the outdoorsman out there now at outlets like cabellas and bass pro.

Wool has the ability to insulate even when it is wet, like on the back of a sheep in the rain; especially if all the natural oils have not been processed away.

If you wear long underwear, the winter sports community has been preaching poly-propylene. It can dry itself out while in use, and supposedly wicks moisture away from your skin.

And I think winter sports are the thing to study more than hunting gear, since much of hunting involves slow stalking or waiting, and the clothing I have tried seems to be more suited for this. I would like to know what the long distance mushers wear, since they go between running, riding, and sleeping out. That sounds more like hunting for some of the young men on here.

When I was younger and did my best to stay with the dogs, wool was way too hot. Long underwear of any kind was too hot.

The only thing that worked excellent for me was a very lightly insulated, loose fitting, nylon covered ski pant; Very light, little or no friction at the knee, and I could wade through a mountain stream up to the crotch and be dry in an hour or so.

If you use any kind of underwear, short or long, use poly-pro or something like it. Cotton underwear will cancel all your outerwear efforts, because you will be wet with no way to dry out. Any underwear will greatly slow the drying out process.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Cotton pants will kill you long before they dry out.

There is no doubt in my own mind that men have died out there because they were wearing cotton.

That is because I have hunted beside a young man in top shape whose situation became life threatening because he was wearing jeans. For me, much older and out of shape, it was a pleasant hunt because my pants dried out.

You are a wise man to be giving this some thought and study.

If you find something that works well for you, please let us know about it.
Last edited by david on Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:10 pm

I hunt in the snow a few times a year on foot always and for what it's worth here's what I wear. I good baselayer from Big 5. I think those are the polypropylene that was mentioned earlier. They keep you dry, and wick moisture away from you. Next is a pair of blue jeans that has been thoroughly soaked in some sort of water repellent like Thompsons water seal, silicone, heck one year I even tried wax. (Yes I'm cheap) Same for the top, baselayer, tshirt, hoody and a wool sweater. That's how I start but that way I can take off layers as needed and I usually just end up with the baselayer and hoody on because I'm sweating so much. It all depends on the temp, weather(cloudy or sunny) and wind. I'm in AZ but up in the mountains it can get really cold but if the trail goes down the hill you can get pretty warm.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:02 pm

An old hunting Freind has and always will wear Filson wool bibs. They are around $300. But last forever and you won't be embarrassed about hunting with ski wear on. They are just too hot for me, but are time tested and proven for many people.

If you are thirty now and live to be a hundred, I am not sure if you would have to replace them. And, unlike quick dry nylon products, these are quiet so you can use them for your bow hunting.

If you have never tried wool and want to just try it, army surplus is the cheapest way. Armys all over the world have issued wool pants forever, and some of them are very well made.
You might pay about 1/10th the price of Filsons.
Last edited by david on Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman03
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Fireman03 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Merino wool is a great product and helps with scent reduction for non predator hunters. Kuiu has some great merino and merino alternatives. My style and country I hunt, every ounce counts for weight so Filson is outta the question for me. Especially when it's soaked and snow is froze too it.
cord
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby cord » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Kuiu it's light weight and warm and there gaiters are the best I've ever used
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:23 am

I forgot to mention gaters for the top of your boot to below your knee. They really help keep the ice from building up at the bottom of your pants or getting shoved up the cuff and into your boots.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:46 am

dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:54 am

In cold snowy conditions you can get miserable no matter what you wear. Usually when I hunt in those conditions and I am on foot only to go to a tree and stay pretty active. What I consider important is keeping chainsaw and fire starting stuff on your sled and rig. If you are hunting by yourself and you have a breakdown there is a great possibility of death if you are out of cell service and have no ability to start a fire.
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:07 am

All excellent suggestions so far. Army polypropylene base is best I've found for cheap, they are available in light and heavy weight. Surplus wool pants were the only way to go for years and I still put them on when I think I need them but the last few years have gone to a un insulated wind waterproof pant and jacket many brands and style available. Most winters snow shoes save a lot of energy and allow much greater distance without fatigue. I wear a rubber or neoprene knee high as some swamps never freeze just go with lighter insulation (800gram)feet won't sweat as much and they aren't so cumbersome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:27 am

This is based on living in Minnesota all my life and for the last 22 years working as a forester where I'm in the woods every day. I have tried a lot of different things but always come back to this.

Starting at the feet, Merino wool socks.
My feet get cold easily so I use a boot heavier than most people like. The Rocky Blizzard Stalker has worked well for me.
As a base layer I use polypro. I use different weights depending on temperature.
Next is a wool shirt.
The outer layer is wool. Wool pants and a wool jacket.
For headgear I use a wool Stormy Kromer hat. I need something with a bill to prevent snow from getting on my glasses.
This is what I wear for work and for following the hounds after bobcats in the snow.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:29 pm

You can pay a lot of money for Sitka, UA and other brands but before you do, I suggest that you look at 10X. Many times, they make the exact same garment for one half of the price. I am not one that likes to put my money in brand names but I do want to stay warm and dry. 10X is part of Walls and the parent company is Dickies. GREAT hunting apparel at a GREAT price and yes, they do sponsor my show which means they are not afraid to show dogs chasing critters on TV like so many others.
Thanks and Adios,
Gary
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:48 pm

We don't have the cold and snow like most of you guys do .. but I do like the traditional fabrics .. merino wool underwear and socks and when we have moisture or the possibility of it I have some wool pants also a pair of bibs.. couple years ago a buddy and me were packing across the wilderness in December, we stayed out 7 days and 6 nights, daytime temps were getting up to 65 or so but night time and early morning were anywhere from 20 to 10 degrees.. on the last day and night we ran into weather and camped at around 10,000' I had a wool jacket from empire wool and canvas and some wool bibs the I had got somewhere I can't remember. When the weather started changing I did too .. I never really got cold.. but my buddy sure did.. we took a trip the following year and he had bought the some of the same stuff
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Lion Hunting”