New proposed AZ lion/bobcat law

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Bigsky1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: New proposed AZ lion/bobcat law

Postby Bigsky1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:19 am

I can't believe Arizona voted down prop 109 in 2010...
You guys need to run that prop again and try harder this time
Bigsky1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bigsky1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:30 am

Bigsky1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Bigsky1 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:33 am

mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:38 am

SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:45 pm

better get a lawyer and quick!!!
ALEX
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ALEX » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:26 am

When is this bill set to be heard and voted on in committee?
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:55 pm

I don't know when its to be voted on. To my understanding Gail Griffin is the head of the natural resources committee and probably has better information and feel for the Bill. However I wasn't able to reach her yet.
duck duck goose
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby duck duck goose » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:13 pm

duck duck goose
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby duck duck goose » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Sorry, one more note, the committee meeting is being held in Room 109.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:35 pm

What an idiot. Here's the text from Duck's link. He's such a clueless tool.

I wanted to share an update for the hunters and conservationists (many of whom are hopefully one and the same) who are very interested in the topic of SB1182 and the future of mountain lion and bobcat hunting in the state.

Thank you for the robust and mostly civil conversation on the previous thread on this topic. Thank you all for taking part and engaging in the basic give-and-take that is essential in our democracy.

SB1182 was intended to start a discussion on the future of wild cat populations and whether we need to look at a full ban on hunting these animals. I now believe there are better ways than an outright ban -- with support from all sides -- of accomplishing the goal of a sustainable, balanced ecosystem and ending cruel and unfair practices like hounding and leg traps (still legal on private land). So having to listened to many different voices I will not be moving my bill forward in its current form.

I met with Game and Fish this morning along with a couple of wildlife biologists -- one from here, and one from Colorado -- and it was an interesting meeting.

There are actual threats to be dealt with -- the rise of new technology like self-aiming rifles, drones, and GPS, alongside older practices like leg traps and hounding are creating the possibility that populations may be threatened much quicker than before. in 2015, more mountain lions were killed in AZ than in any previous year, and more than half of those were females of breeding age. Studies posit that a sustainable level of loss of breeding age females in a mountain lion population is closer to 10%. Population estimating techniques are often only guesses, so we don't know for sure how many lions are here in the first place -- killing off breeding-age females won't help.

No one -- hunter, conservationist, or anyone else -- wants to see the disappearance of a native species. That says to me that the problem can be solved together, benefiting all sides and the cats. The Fair Chase concepts that many hunters are embracing are being considered by the G&F commission and should move forward, restricting unfair and unsporting technology in hunting.

Other steps regarding Fair Chase that could be put in place are restrictions on trapping on private land and hounding. Additionally, G&F should require hunters to undergo trainings in how to distinguish gender in lions and the taking of females should be restricted.

But the biggest problem is easily solvable. I've heard from several people that G&F in the early 2000s had put in place regulations that were developed by conservation and hunting interests together. In the last few years, that spirit of mutual cooperation has changed. Conservationist feel excluded from decisions, and their public input is derided. This can be fixed. Reopen the process to all.

I see a shared goal on all sides -- healthy conservation of habitat and species now and into the future. Hopefully, as G&F develops Fair Chase guidelines, a new spirit of cooperation to everyone's benefit can arise once more.

Thanks again for taking part, and I encourage you all to keep engaging with each other on this topic and build our democracy from the ground up. Listening, learning and understanding people you may initially disagree with is the most patriotic thing we can do right now on every topic.
14 Likes7 Comments1 Share

Again what a tool. He has no clue about "hounding" or the rights of people to do what they want on THEIR OWN LAND.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:36 pm

Sorry, Pegleg, I won't accept your nomination. If I were elected, I think I would bulldoze Tuscon since it's obviously turned into a safehaven for liberal ex-pats from Cali.
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:06 pm

I spoke with Ed at Game and Fish, he is the Legislative Liason for AZ Game and Fish. He is heading to the capital today to check on this and other legislative issues. He, from what he said, is the go to guy regarding this and other bills. He seemed like a pretty nice guy. He didn't know anything about a hearings in February. Where did you find that info Duck?

Legislative Liaison
Ed Sanchez
esanchez@azgfd.gov
5000 W. Carefree Highway
Phoenix, AZ 85086-5000
Office: 623-236-7533
Fax: 623-236-7299
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Well I don't hold any love for Tucson. large population center's in a desert make no sense. So still nominated.

The Bill is probably most dangerous in modified form as that's what they want anyway. With out trapping or hounds any population control of desert lions is out the window. Bobcat and lions do occasionally respond to calling but are more likely not to. So you end hunting for all practical purposes and this bleeds down through all prey species as their numbers decline. I would recommend contacting all the senators and voicing your oppinions as I don't believe he has any interest in listening or accepting any facts his quotes show this clearly and the support group that's rallied around him are the typical hsus types provided from out of state
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:31 pm

As long as nobody seconds your nomination, I'm clear. I couldn't agree more on what you wrote, it's their end game and was/is all along. Start high, settle lower where you want. Sounds like they took Trump's Art of The Deal classes.
Big John
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000440634374

Postby Big John » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Contact Senator Gail Griffin it has to go through her 1st. Hope she will throw it put!
Big John
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!

Return to “Lion Hunting”