New proposed AZ lion/bobcat law

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: New proposed AZ lion/bobcat law

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:25 am

your right gail is our best bet but i havent had much luck reaching her but have left messages
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:28 am

pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:26 am

i understand mark. im not sure if your responding to something ive said or just responding in general. my point is that while responding to this clown wont hurt it wont help in anyway. and a better use of calls emails etc. would be to other senators and orginization heads in the state. i also point out some of the misconceptions i see and how it doesnt matter in anyway to the antis. people often think there's some way to reason with them or that they will stop short of outlawing All hunting. but they dont care about animals they only have fuzzy abstract emotions and would wipe out all wildlife and domestics in their insane path to feel better about themselves. by saying i voted for the law that outlawed hunting and killed the funding for these species and all others .
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:57 am

Pegleg,im just trying to explain that everything you guys are trying has been tried and failed. Not responding to anyone individual. Look into an attorney and see about getting a lawsuit against the bill. Get it tied up in court. Sue them on insufficent data,science,or any other things you can think of. If someone in Arizona put a bill up for unlimited hunting and bag limits the Antis would have a lawsuit against it before the ink dried. You guys can do the same thing but you need funds not emails and phone calls alone.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:12 am

i agree. which is why im recommending getting other groups involved. almost all have deeper pocketts then the houndsmen. the cattlemens association comes to mind as does most any hunting association. houndsmen are a backwards lot and this isnt really a good time for it. to me if they can shut down az hounds then no state is safe given the number of big game houndsmen and the year round seasons along with the positive relationship with most game and fish officers. we have a strong rural and conservative state but if this makes headway then perhaps the urban liberals have us out numbered. the lack of any of az guides speaking up worries me. theyre the ones making a living from the sport yet are quiet. one lion hunt would provide a retainer fee. a few of these guys and donations from everyone else matching their game tags or monthly dog food bill would see us well represented by a legal team.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:26 am

Get a fund set up and put it on here and every other place sportsman frequent. I know a lot of hound clubs will support you guys and othe hunting clubs or groups but they need to know where to send it and what its being used for. You are right about the outfitters,i dont understand where they are on this????????? Not to mention that some of them probably have or have had some VERY VERY wealthy clients that they could possibly get some help from. I dont have all the answers just dont go the way we did out here. Get in the attact mode and try extreme measures because thats what is coming after you!
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:02 am

Here you go this might help, you can use one of the crowdfunding sites out there and post it on here and anywhere else you think you would have support and anybody can donate.

https://www.gofundme.com/tour
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:20 am

UU has a hound fund just for fights like you guys have,idont know how it works but you should pm Buddy W and find out. I dont think he gets on here much so it could take him awhile to find it without a pm.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 am

well im willing to do whatever im able. my thoughts right now are along the lines of one of the hound clubs spearheading this thing. several of our houndsmen live in phoenix and some are members of the hound clubs this might make it easier for them to set up donations and find a law office. if that fails i will try to rearrange things to do what i can. just currently im out of the country more then at home and its a days drive to phoenix. so i will support whoever can bring something to the table first. safari club, sportsmans alliance etc. would be good starting places. if no one stepsforward i will try to mangle something together quickly.
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:47 pm

The bill is still sitting in the first committee, unsure if it will be heard or not at this point but Farley had some talking points that are very familiar.
Basically they (Farley + HSUS) will follow the model they laid down in CA.
He has already said he will not proceed with the current language, instead he is going to pursue those activities and objects he finds to be not "fair chase" (the use of dogs/GPS/traps etc.), and that's what they do, they threaten to close the hunt entirely, then when the uproar starts they start bargaining and that bargaining starts with hounds.

In CA they threatened to bring the bear hunt in it's entirety to the ballot if the commission would not ban the use of dogs.
The Commission would not ban it so they took that threat to various other hunting groups and that is when we got thrown under the bus.
All the guys that like hunting but don't really like dogs were all too happy to surrender hound hunting on the false promise that they would still get to hunt.
And currently they still are but it's coming.

But anyway my point is this whole thing is them testing the waters.
And Farley in his last facebook on SB1182 made it sound as thought he had been talking with some pro hunting groups that are also concerned about "fair chase" and the use of dogs.

So the bill will be back even if it fails now.
Liz ODell
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Liz ODell » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:51 pm

Also I would love to see a group formed that can be the voice of Houndsmens interests in the state, whether it is it's own club (like California Houndsmen for conservation) or whether it is a part of a bigger club representing sportsmen in the state.
Currently there is no legislative related hound club in the state.
I have tried on facebook and contacting people and posts on the Arizona Houndsman facebook page, unfortunately I haven't found a whole lot of interest (though there are a few folks that are) and actually some downright hostility over the idea.

So I'm glad to see there are folks here that would be interested????

I haven't lived here much more than a year, I'm a CA SB1221 refugee myself. I'd like to not have to keep moving to chase that dream.

I have been talking with Luke who is the Sportsmen's Alliance guy for Arizona as well.
Last edited by Liz ODell on Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:28 am

Liz Odell, I can say from experience, if something needs to be done, you better get started. There will be a lot of support for the idea, but don't get discouraged when there is not alot of action on the part of others. Start making contacts with lawmakers and start sending out messages to every houndsman you know. At first, it may just be you and a few others, but keep everybody in the loop and your ranks will eventually start to grow. If you wait until others decide to join you and help though, you will never get anything accomplished.

Figure out the right moves to make
Start developing relationships with all the players
Keep your side informed
Do what is best for houndsmen
Stay flexible
Stay on the move in a forward direction
Pay no attention to the bitchers and whiners
Be prepared to carry most of the workload for a good while

It will eventually get easier, but it is ALOT of work. When you start making progress and people see you are the real deal, they will start trying to help. Many have been burnt by half-assed hound groups in the past. Don't take their initial lack of interest personal.

If I can help in any way, please let me know and I will do whatever I can.

Been there, done that, still doing it.

Tex
=2
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 am

Well Liz I'm more then happy to see your active in this but think your right we need a voice somehow
duck duck goose
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby duck duck goose » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:15 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry about the hiatus there over the past couple days, but I have been following this bill pretty closely and I agree with what has been said above. It looks like the bill is going to fail as it is currently worded but it is definitely not going away. The Arizona Coonhound Association and I have been keeping a close eye on it, but I have not seen any updates on the bill itself since it's scheduled hearing date of this past Monday.

Based on the response that I've seen from our club, we might be just the organization to spearhead the offensive, but we are small and new to this whole government legislation thing.

I guess this is as good a place to start as any, as information is the ultimate source of power. So here is the guide to Drafting a Senate Bill. Let's start here and figure out how to get something passed that protects our hunting rights in Arizona indefinitely.

https://www.azleg.gov/alisPDFs/council/ ... manual.pdf
Grzyadms4x4
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Grzyadms4x4 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Why don't we take a page out of HSUS's book and look closely at legislation that has passed in other states and see if we can adopt it for AZ.

Return to “Lion Hunting”