nonresident snow lion hunting trip

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Bobby Winn
Facebook ID: 0

Re: nonresident snow lion hunting trip

Postby Bobby Winn » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:23 am

I have to laugh a little, well a lot. I'm not trying to be negative so please forgive me. I sincerely want to wish you the best in your trip west because I would hope for the same when I make my trip east. You better have some vacation, good boots, a lot of patience, and gps for you and your dogs. I live in a small town on the southwest side of the state (Wyoming) of around 3500 people and "9" guys running dogs not including the nonresidents that come from Utah. It's a damn rat race when snow hits the ground. I've also hunted the three units in the northeast corner too, game warden says "You think this is a lot of white tail hunters? You should see it when it snows, the hound hunters are almost double." Do your homework, get in some damn good shape, and most of all good luck cutting a track fresh enough to let the dogs out. If you do make it over, look me up, I'll be more than happy to show you what I know cause maybe you'll bring that luck I've been waiting for.
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks for responding. Unfortunately, I have heard from others also that WY can be very busy with lion hunters, especially the areas I would be interested in. It is the closest state to me, that's why I am interested in it, but I've been looking into states further away that I'm told might be better options. I have found a few guys willing to give a good deal of honest information on 2 other states that at this point I am more interested in than WY. Still interested in WY tho. I don't mind running into another guy or 2 (good roads are a parking lot up here opening day of bobcat season) but I would rather be in an area with less hunting pressure. I plan on bringing a quad and snowmobile so I am as prepared as possible. Time is not an issue as I have from Dec to March off from work every year.

I know this is not going to be easy but I'm ok with that. I hear finding a track is going to be more difficult than I'm used to with bobcat. The elevation is somewhat concerning to me...I am in better shape than most and just turned 30, but have never been in high elevations. I walk/run miles through the snow after cat and yote, but you western guys would probably laugh at what we call a hill. I assume the elevation affects the dogs also? I also assume by gps you mean garmin astro/alpha equipment and collars? That's what I am using now and really haven't heard of anyone running without it...would this be sufficient out there? I have a long range antenna also.

It's good to hear the negatives with certain areas (and lion hunting in general) because it helps tremendously. Probably more than the positives actually. I figure the people on this forum are probably the best resource available to me to help me do as much "homework" as possible. I could look at maps and satellite imagery nonstop, but they don't help much without some knowledge from the people who have actually been there and done it. I'd certainly be screwed if everybody just said "come on out and run the dogs...you wont have a problem". A lion trip is something I am very interested in and intend on heading out west in the next year or 2 to give it a go. Like I said, I'm expecting it to be difficult, but there are tons of guys doing it, so it obviously can be done. I'm trying to have realistic expectations and am certainly not basing the success of my trip on whether I bring a lion home or not.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:21 am

You will most likley end up hunting in big country and lions can cover a lot of it so i would highly recomend running telemtry collars with your gps collars.
Kyle D7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Kyle D7 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:18 am

What ever Western state you decide to try lion hunting in try to be there when the first big snow happens. The big snow will push the deer, elk, moose, and other animals to lower elevations and the lions will follow. Later in the season figure out were the game is wintering at and the Lions will be around. Good luck with your hunt.
dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:39 pm

cfanno01, Western Montana has probably the best lion hunting in the world it is however mostly draw and it can take years for a non resident to draw a permit. You can however buy a general non resident tag and chase in the whole state from Dec. 1 to April 14. If you want to just chase lions and not kill anything pm me and maybe we can get something worked out to run some lions together. Most of the best lion country in ID, MT, and WY is in wolf country, you have to be smart in how you hunt it. My guess is more hounds are killed by lions in wolf country than by wolves.
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:20 pm

Thanks for the tip Kyle D7. I'm hoping to go as early in winter as possible, just depends on when the weather around home ends my working season.

Thanks for the invite dhostetler. Would love to try sometime in the future. It would be fun to go with someone that has done it. You are probably right about more dogs being killed by lions than wolves, I'm just concerned because mine are not broke from canines, in fact, I hunted more yotes than anything this winter.

Return to “Lion Hunting”