New admiration for mountain lions.

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Chris Todd
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

New admiration for mountain lions.

Postby Chris Todd » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Every now and then something will happen that will give me even more admiration for mountain lions. Yesterday was one of those times. The day before I had trailed a young Tom. The wind was so bad that I finally had to give up. So yesterday I went back. The weather man said the wind was going to lighten up.
So I headed for this big rim I had trailed the Tom on. If anything the wind was blowing harder. So I got on a faint little jeep trail and headed down it. It led to some lower country that I was hoping wasn't as windy.
I had ridden maybe 3-miles. My mind was off somewhere not thinking of hounds or lion hunting. All the sudden my head jerked around. And I thought that looked like a Lion track. I brought my Mustang Rex to a stop to go back and look. As soon as I did I heard Molly say lion big time. I went back and there in the dust of the jeep trail was a female lion track. The pack of 8-females trailed off the mountain into a deep canyon. When they hit the bottom the race kicked into high gear. I had eight females with me including two eight month old pups. They all fell in line and the race was on.
Me and Rex hurried to the bottom of the canyon. Going up the bottom was this female lion track. No dought they were on this female going the right way. I got out the Garmin to get a reading on the hounds. They were already 900-yards out and really moving. They turned south and went over a high rough ridge. I felt sure they were going to catch this female in the next canyon. I spurred Rex for all he was worth. But he was getting tired. This country is real steep, brushy, and Rocky. He had to stop and blow a couple times and we fell way behind.
By taking some short cuts we gained on the hounds. I got to the rim of the next canyon. The first thing I see is this female lion. She had crossed the canyon and was headed up the opposite side. But she didn't seem to be in any hurry. She went about half way up stopped and turned around. She started coming back down her track. All I could think is. This lion must be crazy. The hounds were about 200 yards away. And headed right for her. All I could think was 5or6 of those hounds are vicious in a Lion fight. And they would kill her on the ground . Well she came down her track about 75yards and sat down facing the direction of the hounds. Now i knew this lion was nuts. She sat there till the hounds were right across the canyon from her. Then she turned at a 90 degree angle. Bunched up and jumped. I thought she was going to jump in a tree. But she hit the ground running .
When the hounds got there they trailed to where she turned around. Then spread out all over the mountain looking for her. It seemed like an hour but was probably only a couple minutes . Little Brownie drifted out in the direction the lion had gone. With a few barks from Brownie everybody joined in. And the race was on again. With 8hounds there were no looses. Just a all out race.
I Was worried that the hounds hadn't had any water since we left the truck. And when I started getting tree signals out of dogs collars. I figured. There was probably a better chance the hounds had given out. Than having treed the lion. But as I got closer I started hearing some tree barking. She had run 3-miles after pulling her back track trick.
When I got close I could see here and the hounds. She was only about 10-feet off the ground. Her sides were heaving from her run. The hounds were all there. Pretty much give out from their run on a warm day with no water.
I got off my horse and started toward the tree. Brownie came and jumped on me then went back to the tree. If a hound can feel pride in doing her job. I believe Brownie was proud of the job she had done and was saying look what we did. Then I looked at Molly sitting with her eyes fixed on the lion. Just a couple weeks ago a big Tom lion had almost almost ended her life. It is amazing how fast these hounds can recover.
I was thinking how proud their great old dad Scout must be of them. Looking down on his two.daughters . And the great lead dogs they have become. Then I kinda laughed at myself. Thinking there are 8-hounds here. 2 are Scouts daughters, 4are his granddaughters and 2 are his great granddaughters. Blood will tell.
So after looking at this lion awhile. My admiration for her grew. She had put on a great show for me. And a great race for the hounds. Not only did my admiration for lions grow that day. But my admiration for a good dry ground lion hound grew considerably.
tmalone
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: New admiration for mountain lions.

Postby tmalone » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:17 pm

REAL NICE STORY,ENJOYED IT!!
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Beebout-it » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:56 pm

Thanks for sharing! Great stuff!
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 am

Sweet

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 am

Chris,

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!

Vitamins baby, Vitamins for hound man's soul!!!!

I rode by the point where I scattered Scout's mother's ashes a few weeks back, and I swore in the wind I could hear old Jessie's long old bawl a way off trailing a big old tom thru the rims, thought maybe I heard old Gunner, Kate and Booger too. It was a good feeling but a little lonesome knowing my old A-Team was gone from here, but I reckon we will gather up again before too long.....................................

Thanks Chris!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Chris Todd
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Chris Todd » Mon May 01, 2017 8:50 pm

It's hard losing the good ones. Scout did more for me than I could ever mention. Someday we will meet again. Where the lion hunt never ends.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue May 02, 2017 11:36 am

Right on!
MIKE LEONARD
Gary Roberson
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Gary Roberson » Wed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

Great Story!!! Thanks so much for sharing.
Adios,
Gary
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed May 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you for taking the time to write out that story. It was great reading. I always love reading stories and I know it takes some time and effort to write them.
puma sj
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby puma sj » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 am

Chris, thanks for the story.... kept rereading it and learning from it even though I have seen my share of lions in the tree...Your three mile jumped race made me reconsider some of my bare ground trailing that I thought turned into a fast trash race and i would stop my dogs after less than a mile... maybe some of our northwest lions can also take the dogs on a three mile jump.. really appreciated you taking time to share the hunt with us and your love for your dogs..
Uncle Dave
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Uncle Dave » Thu May 04, 2017 11:22 am

Very cool to see the lion do that. I think it's an even greater opportunity to watch and learn how the dogs react to the situation when you know exactly what the lion did when leaving the trail. Thanks for sharing!
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu May 04, 2017 11:56 am

Great observations for sure. It is amazing at times what lions will do out of the ordinary.

I had a huge tom over 200 pounds which I had cold trailed for about 5 miles on the dirt get jumped out of his lay up spot, blow dogs off the bluff and go over the top and run flat out for a mile and half before he took a tree. It was a very warm day in the 70's but he flat made a long hard run. I too wondered after they hit the top if they had busted a deer or elk
MIKE LEONARD
Chris Todd
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Chris Todd » Thu May 04, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks for the complements guys. I have trailed lions in the snow and seen where they had pulled a back track trick or two. But this is the first lion I have seen actually do it.

Return to “Lion Hunting”