Little Blue, gone but not forgotten

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Nvtrapper
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Little Blue, gone but not forgotten

Postby Nvtrapper » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:54 pm

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing some great memories with us!!
hectorp
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hectorp » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi Mike,

You must be grateful you had a great hound and for so many years. I have never heard of a hunting dog that went to the age of 17 years and to be able to hunt until he was 15, tells you the kind of conformation and determination he had.

I remember of Blue the one that you sold me as a puppy, he was very tough and a good tree dog.

Saludos
Hector
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:38 pm

Mike, Thank You for the stories of Little Blue. Your discriptions of his traits reminded me of some hounds I've had in the past. Made me smile.
May not have been the best at any one thing but desire, determination, heart and endurance far overcome their shortcomings. That's what true champions are made of.
We hope that we possess those traits, when we see it in a hound I think it puts that hound in a special place in our hearts. Even if after it goes deaf n nearly blind, it's still there even if it's comical at times like Blue's last tree.
14.5 years of hunting, he had a good run and you were blessed.
Again, Thank You for the stories of him, sorry for your loss.
Chris Todd
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Chris Todd » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Sorry to hear about Little Blue Mike. I have a lot of the same blood as Little Blue in my pack. It seems that every time I think I need to try something different. They prove me wrong.
I was trailing a female lion the other day. Temperature started out cool. But by 9 it was already pushing 80. I had with me a couple hounds out of some famous lion hound strains. And I had my Young Scout dog and his son Bubba. That are both heavy in the same blood as Little Blue.
These other hounds started getting hot. And tired of trailing this track with their tongues dragging the ground. Scout and Bubba kept pushing. But after several hours of no water and rising temperatures. I caught them and gave them what water I had.
Even though we didn't catch that lion. It showed the extra determination that is bred into these hounds. And does make me wonder why I would ever look elsewhere.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Chris,

I have to agree with you, and I am glad you still are perpetuating the line. I have often told people maybe these dogs are not for you because you may wish to go for a hunt, and hopefully hit a good track and catch and be back in time to watch the ball game or something else.

When you are hunting free cast with a bunch of dogs that have been bred to trail in the worst conditions for nearly 100 years, a whole lot of the time you may be trailing all day and still be out there gathering dogs in the dark, and hoping to get started on it again as soon as it is light enough to follow them where you won't break your neck in the dark.

Little Blue spent a lot of nights out in the woods, and many times I knew he either treed or bayed up during that night only to have lions do what they usually do when the morning sun hits them, bail and go again and he would be after them again, and you had some riding to do to get ahead of him.

Double tuff, determined and what some may call hard headed but having had so many of this line I just knew that they were totally consumed with getting the lion.

Keep after them Chris and give Young Scout a pat on the head for me.

Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............

Return to “Lion Hunting”