Lion Season In Colorado

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Lion Season In Colorado

Postby ridgerunners » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:08 am

Well lion season is almost here again. My hounds are Really getting cranked up especially with a little bit of snow that we had. Guys that know me know that I love to harass Bobcats with way too many hounds ! I do hunt lions but not near as much as I did back 10 years ago. There hasn’t been much to read on here so I’m going to try to stir a little bit of conversation. Now I’m speaking for myself and I feel that the lion population is still pretty darn good but that being said it seems to be getting harder and harder to find the truly trophy toms ( mature ) (aged)....... our state is growing so fast and there’s more hunters every year . It seems like the quotas are pretty decent but I’m just wondering if any of you other Houndsman are seeing this in the units that you hunt?? Timothy Morgan
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Lion Season In Colorado

Postby SASS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Tim,

I am going to try and get out there this year with a buddy of mine that is a resident, and he is wanting to give it a shot. I am still reading all of the regs but so far after reading through the whole thing once I cannot see anything that says a nonresident can't bring their dogs. So unless I find where it says I cannot use my dogs that is my plan for now. He is starting to research the different units, he really enjoys that part as I think it goes back to some of the stuff he did as an army ranger. I still have a lot of planning to do so we will see.

Good luck out there Tim!
lookinup
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby lookinup » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:27 pm

I live in Kansas and hunt CO. I spoke with a warden last year with the same questions and it is absolutely ok to run your hounds as long as you not guiding without a permit.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Is it even possible to have to many dogs on a bobcat?
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:23 pm

mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:44 pm

Heck,i'd have to move
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Sass.. Hunting lions in Colorado you can use up to 8 hounds.But when you are hunting furbearers, Small game and waterfowl you can use what you want... Timothy Morgan
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification Tim, I was just reading the lion hunting reg book.

I guess you would be okay then Mark hahahaha
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Sass..You are allowed to bring your own hounds and run lions . If you already have pretty good coonhounds You might be surprised at how well they take a Lion track . Rocks ,cliffs and Bluffs may stumped Them more then anything.. but you got to come try it ....Timothy Morgan
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:09 am

ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:34 am

Well Lion season in Colorado is about to its halfway point. Our weather here has been Crazy up to this point. We have had very little snow and super warm temperatures. Making Hunting a little bit different then what we are used too.

Its really put a wrench in my bobcat hunting style ! So I have been hunting lion alittle more this season. There seems to be quite a few lions around again this year and also have came Across some nice toms ! Every lion kill I have seen this year has been a elk not a deer one yet .Here are some pictures of some nice toms from the last couple weeks .
Attachments
142ABA5E-44DC-4E9C-BD3E-928EEB493F52.jpeg
We got this Tom after a pretty good chase didn’t think the hounds were going to get him..
4868A836-A899-4B01-B1E0-DD48FA78823E.jpeg
This big old boy is going to be a Booner .Ridgerunner boys strike again !
5A3B970A-960D-4235-A0EA-7E3A6397B660.jpeg
This fine lion was killed in Powderhorn Colorado and was tagged in Nebraska . We are still waiting too here the story about this lion’s life.. but pretty cool
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 am

Hey Tim, keep me posted on that Nebraska lion. I'll bet he was collared not real far from me.

Thanks

Return to “Lion Hunting”