Started my dogs on lion!!

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
High hounda
Facebook ID: 0

Started my dogs on lion!!

Postby High hounda » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:03 am

My journey started one year ago when I bought two clover breed walker females and a jagdterrior male. For the past 11 months they were taught basic obedient training and I introduced them to their GPS and shock collar. I live in the Rocky mountains so I would take them on short and long walks in the woods. During spring and summer we found five sets of elk sheds. All three dogs handle very well and recall great. About two weeks ago I introduced them to fresh lion scent and drug it about 50 yards then hung it on a tree. They had no problem finding it and treeed hard. I did two more scent drags making them longer and harder. They are extremely cat crazy now. I felt it was time to stop the games and get them on real track. So recently I came across fresh lion track in the snow and on their lead I walked them on the track for about a mile. They pulled at the lead hard and never lost interest of the sent or track. They were so intense i could hardly hold on. So my question to the experienced houndsmen is. Should I let them of off the lead and let them run the track on their own ? I do not have a experienced dog to hunt with them and read I should act as the lead dog and lead them on a lead till we jump the cat. I have spent a lot of time training these dogs and don't want to do anything on my part to not finish them out. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
cord
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Started my dogs on lion!!

Postby cord » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:47 am

Yes if they are interested let them go and never give up or get frustrated if they loose the track walk in and help them sort it out
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:12 am

High hounda...Good choice in Walker hound Clover bred are very nice track Oriented. Turn them babies Loose and let them do what is bred into them!! It’s not rocket science and don’t be afraid to make mistakes you and them hounds will get it done!! Timothy Morgan
High hounda

Postby High hounda » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words I will be out this week and will let them run the track. I will keep this post updated.

Thank you
Andrew
High hounda

Postby High hounda » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:38 am

We had a fresh snow last night. So I called in sick. My daughter called in sick from school and insisted she come for good luck. About 1030am I cut fresh lion track So we walked the dogs on them for about 100 feet they opened great and were very intense. So I let them dogs go. They ran .5 miles till they had a big tom bayed up on a rock pile. That cat was pissed and I could tell it was about to jump and it did. Then the dog chased him for 500 yards he spun and they bayed on the ground. The trees were to small for him to tree. He took off for about 1000 yards and we tree him in a big tree where I took alote of great pictures. I don't know how to post them or I would share them. I must have took to long with the pictures because that old tom jumped before I could shoot him out. The dogs chased till dark then I recalled them back. Going back out tomarrow. My daughter and I had a great time and we are both hooked for life. I wanted to thank you all again for the posts and great info on here. If there is anything I can do to help another houndsmen with please let me know. Thank you all again for the great info.

Andrew Garcia
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:57 pm

....And welcome to the addiction.

Congrats.
Nvtrapper

Postby Nvtrapper » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:49 pm

^^^^^ What he said haha. Good job, and keep at it. It only gets better.

Return to “Lion Hunting”