Sight or sound?

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
eskinner45
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Sight or sound?

Postby eskinner45 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:32 pm

I have just been thinking about running cats and I was curious if you guys agreed that lions tree because the sound of the hounds and not because they could see the hounds? Or do you think they end up spotting the hounds and that’s why they tree? Also how far would you guys say most of your own personal chases are? Just curious of everyone’s thoughts.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Sight or sound?

Postby pegleg » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:35 pm

Sound is most effective. Most lions tree before the hounds actually reach them. But a arguement can be made either way for specific cats. My opinion is based of average experience. Its not common to catch a lion that hasnt been moving for atleast awhile. So the noise gets them to moving before they ever see a hound. And the ones that the dogs have grabbed seem to be less inclined to tree . and normal only break and tree once the dogs back up and open up. They seem to respond to humans the same. A yell will shake a lions confidence. Sneaking around and being quiet even in clear view doesnt intimidate them the same way.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:25 am

In the years that I hunted lion was was lucky enough to see 2 lions at different times go up tree. both went up well before the dogs got close. One large tom I watch come around the mountain in open timber country stop and listen to the hounds when they were a couple of hundred yards behind him. He stopped at a big tree with large limbs looking back and listening to the dogs them looking up several times before he went of the tree a few minutes before the dogs came into sight. Both times I was in heavy timber country. Dewey
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:08 am

That's a good question. I've seen Bob's stay in front of dogs and stop a few times and look back and not tree till they see what's making the sound.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:20 pm

I think I would have to agree on lions that sound is the biggest factor. I have maybe seen a dozen lions tree ahead of the dogs that were not what I call jumped lions or hard running lions might be a better description.

Lions and most cats for that matter have tremendous sense of hearing and they can lock onto sound location almost immediately. At times a lot of hounds run silent or semi-silent. but when they get relatively close I feel that under many circumstances the lions can still detect their presence thru hearing. Possible the sound of their feet, the grass and brush or rocks and panting even can signal to the lion that danger is drawing near.

An old friend of mine was on a safari in Africa and was in a blind a good ways from a bait tree waiting for a big male leopard. He said it was a long wait but just before dark it seemed that the leopard suddenly just appeared like out of nothing at the base of the bait tree. He said he and PH were well hidden and had the wind in their favor. He was going to wait for the cat to leap up in the tree to make the shot but the leopard seemed nervous, and did not climb he just kept looking around his tail twitching rapidly. The PH told him you better shoot , he is onto us and will bolt quickly.

Jim said they were about 100 yards from the tree, and he had a dead rest for his old model 70 Winchester. He had the three position safety in the center so all it took was just a flick of the thumb and he could fire. He said he gently pushed the safety forward and there was a small click almost inaudible to the human ear. He said instantly the leopard jerked his head towards them and locked onto their position precisely!
Lucky for him the cat hesitated just a second and the bullet found it's mark and he harvested an excellent trophy. I think that is a good example of just how good their hearing really is.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
LarryBeggs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby LarryBeggs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:15 pm

I agree sound and sight play a factor in the fear that the lion has but in most cases it is the wind being run out of them that actually cause a cat to either tree or stop in the ground. In a few cases on bobcat when the conditions weren't right or not the right dogs I have seen stamina cause them to tree instead if wind. Seen there feet start to drag in the snow or actually see the cat and tell it was tired even though it was far enough in front of the dogs that they weren't sucking the wind out it. I knew it was about to get caught after a long race and it did. Some cats do however tree like Mike said from just hearing the dogs coming. And acationaly some are already in the tree before the dogs are even turned loose.

Return to “Lion Hunting”