Laying out over night

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Laying out over night

Postby Rossco » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:11 am

I have taken quit a few naps in the afternoon enjoying either the warm sun or a cool shade tree before heading back towards the pickup. But how many of you have layed out over night on a track so you can get it up and going again the next morning? I've had some nights of sleeping out because there was no making it back that night, but have never stayed the night with the intention of starting the track again in the morning.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Laying out over night

Postby pegleg » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:36 am

I have a few times. Mostly on depredation. If a specific animal is targeted. Theres drawbacks. Most times if your trailing that late it means something. And it takes some preperation or a good deal of youth for it not to wear on you in the morning. If the weathers bad i will take the loss most times. Ive heard of people treeing game after staying out in a big weather change over night. But i dont recall ever doing it myself. Ive sit out nights looking for or waiting on lost hounds the most. But with experience and better equipment thats not as freaquent as it once was.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 am

Ya, I can remember quite a few nights before bear hunting here sleeping in the pickup with a fire going waiting on dogs to come out. Honestly I think it's the time that have the most adversity that make the best memories. Although they usually aren't enjoyable at the time
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:53 pm

I have .. and have been going out overnight just trying to make a bigger circle. Done it a few times this year and plan on it in the future.. trying to be able to do 2 or 3 nights without a pack mule just a saddle mule.. some videos coming
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:02 pm

That will be great, I look forward to seeing those videos
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:00 am

Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:02 pm

I can't say I've hunted until dark and stayed until the am to get going on a track the next morning. I have parked on a nice cat track at 0 dark 30 and waited until dawn to get going. Many times old Bobbie and his friends had crossed again by the time the sun peaked out. And if I had to say it, most times the bobbie won at the end of the day. One thing I have learned no matter how good of dogs you have, as soon as you think a track is a gimmie or pretty much caught. Well you're usually wrong. Then the next time that one think is a hope and a prayer ends up with a caught critter.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Return to “Lion Hunting”